Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pad Questions for SL6 calipers

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 12:01 AM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pad Questions for SL6 calipers

So I just picked up a Gstop package off this forum today and I wanted to go ahead and order a set of track pads to have ready for when I do an HPDE next week end. My questions are:

Which vendors carry the 7420 pad design?

Is there a break in procedure for the caliper after installation?

Does Hawk or PFC make a pad in the 7420 design? I had been researching this tonight, and found that Wilwood doesnt list a pad from the two in the 7420, but they do in the 7320 design. The only difference I can tell from the dimensions posted is a safety rod hole in the backing plate at the top of the pad. Can the 7320 pad be used if that hole is cut off?

http://brakepads.wilwood.com/06-illu...ages/7320.html

http://brakepads.wilwood.com/06-illu...ages/7420.html

I was planning on starting off with the H compound in front, but which compound in rear?

I also found some pads on one site that were the right part # but were labeled as bedded. Does that denote used?

Last edited by WBHighwind; 10-28-2008 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:57 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use H front, and H rear. SL6R front and stock rear calipers. Works well.

Hawk is the HB-521x where x designates compound.
PFC is 7751-CC-20.44 where CC is the compound (97, 01, etc).
Cobalt is CRB.XR2.WSL/20.

I'm sure other vendors would build a set if you sent them a backing plate and the 20mm thick measurment.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

http://www.ctbrakes.com/

Custom solutions.

Designed by racers for racers, Carbotech brakes can be specified to meet the needs of your car and driving style. Just give us a call and we can recommend the compounds that will be perfect for your front and rear pads and shoes, assuring that they perform together with optimum effectiveness
Old 10-28-2008, 10:39 AM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Pads

Wilwood "H" pads.

Call Todd at TCE performance Products - forum vendor
480-967-7901

I just ordered a set. Good pricing.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:48 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Wilwood SL6 fronts and SL4 rears on my '04 Z06. I was running the Wilwood H pads up front and Bs in the rear, but found that this combination shifted too much of the braking work to the fronts, and I was overheating the front rotors. I went back to H pads, front and rear, as I had run on my '03 Z with a similar setup, and the braking became much more even. This is for track use only. Not sure what I'm going to run for the street.

BTW, you should double check the pad sizes for your setup. With the SL6 caliper I have, and the 13.06"x1.25" front rotor, I use the 7416. The 7420 pad is too thick to fit, or so I've been told. You might want to verify that before ordering pads.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:52 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by J.R.
Wilwood "H" pads.

Call Todd at TCE performance Products - forum vendor
480-967-7901

I just ordered a set. Good pricing.
Ditto. I've ordered my pads and rotors through Todd and he's taken very good care of me, with excellent pricing. He's a really great guy to deal with, and he's been extremely helpful with information as I've worked out my braking problems with my current car.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:46 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Definitely check part #'s as SL6's come with two different size pads. The 7420's are an .800 pad (I believe).

I have had good results on the street with the Wilwood "Q" pads.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

If you have the LG GStop package they should be the wide SL6 calipers that take the 7420 pad. The correct part number to use for ordering the Wilwood 7420 H pad is: 15H-8114K. You can get the pads from Lou or some of the other site vendors that handle Wilwood. The 7420 H Wilwood pads are probably the longest lasting lowest cost racing pads you can buy.

Bill
Old 10-28-2008, 05:07 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If you have the LG GStop package they should be the wide SL6 calipers that take the 7420 pad. The correct part number to use for ordering the Wilwood 7420 H pad is: 15H-8114K. You can get the pads from Lou or some of the other site vendors that handle Wilwood. The 7420 H Wilwood pads are probably the longest lasting lowest cost racing pads you can buy.

Bill
Old 10-28-2008, 06:37 PM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the responses guys. I am super excited to see the improvement in all areas. I figured my calipers were too spread and needed replacing, but I felt like if I was going to replace them, that I should go ahead and put the money into a better replacement.

Ill go with H compound on both front and rear and see how it works. Im sure it will be all that its said to be and more compared to my stock worn out setup.

So Hawk and PFC do make a pad in the 7420 design?

And what does the bedded pad mean on that one site that I saw. He said they were new 7420 H compound pads, but he was selling them for 60 bux.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:30 PM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

Ive had Wally using Carbotech XP16s and he likes them a lot!

Both Hawk and PFC make pads for the SL6.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:28 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ask him if it's bedded from the factory, or on his car. Either way if it's still got 20mm of pad left it's good to go. The 7420 pads are actually cheaper than the stock pads and last way way longer so the pain of buying new pads isn't so bad.

BTW, for the street I've got BP20s, but I'd be tempted to step down to BP10s as when the 20s are cold they take a bit more effort. Dust isn't too bad, though.

FWIW, I think it's only the actually Wilwood Corvette package that ships the thin-SL6 that uses the 7416 pads. The Wilwood caliper bracket also only works with their rotors since they effectively change the offset of the rotor, too.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:59 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

I stock nearly all compounds of 7420 (and 7416) as both are quite popular in a host of kits.

I do not stock E or Q compounds. I find that E is to similar to the other low temp compounds and it just makes the selection even harder. I'm surprised at the props for Q as I quit using them in kits nearly three years ago due to vast complaints (which Wilwood knew nothing about...yet decided to change all their kits from Q to BP10....lol). I've found for many that Q tends to smear when hot yet clean itself and repeat; one day it pulses the next day it's fine. Very strange.

For track users, if you're new to this and watching the budget Poly B pads probably out sell the H compound for a lot of my customers. The value is very good and the bite not quite so much for lighter day use.

For AutoX users I have a limited supply of the discontinued Poly D pads which are a killer pad for such use. (and they've won on Pikes Peak four times to so I can speak from experience) This pad is not hard on rotors despite its aggressive sound and recovers nicely if lightly over heated.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:36 PM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Another question, does anybody know if napa or autozone or any of the local auto parts stores carry the 7420 pad design in case I get into a bind and need it that day?
Old 10-31-2008, 06:56 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by WBHighwind
Another question, does anybody know if napa or autozone or any of the local auto parts stores carry the 7420 pad design in case I get into a bind and need it that day?

Never seen it. Very unlikely due to many suppliers and compounds.

Plan ahead.

Get notified of new replies

To Pad Questions for SL6 calipers

Quick Reply: Pad Questions for SL6 calipers