DRM Steering rack bushings questions - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Autocrossing & Roadracing
Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRM Steering rack bushings questions

Old 11-28-2008, 05:30 AM   #1
steel_3d
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default DRM Steering rack bushings questions

I have a few questions about these:

1) Do they exist in polyurethane? Aluminum seems a bit unforgiving for street use.
2) Are they uncomfortable on the street?
3) Do they increase steering feel significantly by themselves?
4) Are the stock bushings easy to get out, or do they need to be cut out? How much of a pain is the install?

I do autocross and track the car, and more feedback from the front wheels seems like a good thing, but these days I prefer to leave well enough alone unless I see huge justification to modify something I drive about 25k per year on the street - a lot - so I like my car to be comfortable and reliable. But at the last autocross I jiggled the steering wheel and there was quite a bit of steering angle before the wheel turned at all, which seemed uncool to me. What's the point in fussing over an ultralow tolerance rack and pinion for 08 if the bushing has so much give?!
steel_3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
gkmccready
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_3d View Post
But at the last autocross I jiggled the steering wheel and there was quite a bit of steering angle before the wheel turned at all, which seemed uncool to me. What's the point in fussing over an ultralow tolerance rack and pinion for 08 if the bushing has so much give?!
Um. I barely touch the steering wheel in my '06 before the wheels turn so unless they made the bushings softer...
gkmccready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:39 PM   #3
steel_3d
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Try jiggling the wheel back and forth with the engine/power steering off and see how much movement there is before you see movement in the wheel. I tried it at the same time on an 02 and it was similar or worse. I think it's over an inch total, so maybe half an inch one way, maybe more. Seems to me that could soak up quite a bit of feel.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #4
glass slipper
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Try jiggling the wheel back and forth with the engine/power steering off and see how much movement there is before you see movement in the wheel. I tried it at the same time on an 02 and it was similar or worse. I think it's over an inch total, so maybe half an inch one way, maybe more. Seems to me that could soak up quite a bit of feel.
Try it with the engine running. There isn't a "direct" connection from the steering wheel to the wheels. In hydraulic terms, it's referred to as a servo valve in that you provide an input which causes a reaction/movement and there's a "feedback" loop which stops the movement at the desired position. When the engine isn't running, the steering wheel will turn until the internal valve contacts the positive stops in the steering rack valve to transmit motion directly...that's the play you're seeing. When the engine is running, any movement of the steering wheel causes an immediate reaction via the internal valve porting hydraulic oil (power steering fluid) to one side or the other on the steering rack. Hope this helps.
glass slipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
MySR71
CF Senior Member

MySR71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
steel_3d
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks a lot for that explanation, glass slipper! I never quite knew how the power steering servo worked.

And thanks to MySR71 as well, I missed those threads.

Now I'd just need 2, 3 and 4 answered by somebody who has the bushing.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:27 PM   #7
[email protected]
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
2) Are they uncomfortable on the street?
3) Do they increase steering feel significantly by themselves?
4) Are the stock bushings easy to get out, or do they need to be cut out? How much of a pain is the install?
Well I was waiting for more customer feedback before I replied. I couldn't wait any longer

2. You will notice more feel, which can be good and bad. With horrible roads and grooved highways nowdays. It's up to you, if you want to be numb to this or not.
3. This bushing isn't a huge difference either way, because of the good design from GM and not a whole lot of rubber. But it tips the scales towards better feeling. It shows the most improvment on worn out cars with lots of miles or hard miles.
4. The install is pretty easy, on my next post. There will be some pictures of the install. The stock bushings shouldn't need anymore then a screw driver to remove. It's not like a control arm bushing that needs force to come apart.

If you have any other questions, please let US know.
Randy
www.dougrippie.com
PS You can order these on our ebay store, or give me a call!!!
763-477-9272
Randy@DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:30 PM   #8
[email protected]
Supporting Vendor

Randy@DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:36 PM   #9
steel_3d
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Randy!
It sounds like this doesn't make a huge difference after all, I was just mistaken about how the power steering system works, so I'm leaning towards leaving well enough alone. Unless someone has experience to suggest otherwise.
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • DRM Steering rack bushings questions
  •