Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASCAR Sues Cessna

Old 12-01-2008, 05:09 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Default NASCAR Sues Cessna

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#199306

NASCAR Sues Cessna

The fatal crash of a Cessna 310R into a Sanford, Fla., neighborhood on July 10, 2007, has spawned a lawsuit prior to release of the NTSB's final report on the crash. Michael Klemm, a NASCAR pilot, and Bruce Kennedy were killed when the aircraft attempted an emergency landing, clipped a tree and crashed into two houses, in which three more people died as a result of the crash. NASCAR has already paid at least $1 million to Klemm's family and is seeking reimbursement for its payments to family members of those killed on the ground. Early investigations by the NTSB cited an aircraft mechanic's testimony that Klemm was aware of squawks with the aircraft, though the extent of his understanding of the reported problem is unknown. Aircraft records found at the accident site record a notation written by the pilot of the previous day's flight, which described a "smell of electrical components burning." According to the NTSB, there is no evidence that action was taken to address the issue. There were no witnesses found by the NTSB who could recall seeing either Klemm or Kennedy (who held a commercial pilot certificate) reviewing the aircraft's discrepancy log prior to the flight. NASCAR believes the accident was caused by faulty wiring installed by Cessna when the aircraft was built, back in 1977. Its attorneys allege that "the incident was entirely due to the negligence or fault" of Cessna and "not the negligence or fault" of NASCAR, according to Daytona Beach's News-Journal Online. Cessna's lawyers were not available for comment
Old 12-01-2008, 05:30 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Bad wires from 1977?

NASCAR dreaming.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:45 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

This is classic aviation lawsuit stupidity. Faulty 30 year old wiring, yeah right. I thought the general aviation liability reforms put a stop to a lot of this kind of stuff. You can bet the lawyers want this concluded before the NTSB report comes out since the report will probably not help their frivolous case any but I guess that hasn't stop others from trying and succeeding in the past.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:29 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Well I'll be damned. I've been thinking about buying a wiring harness for my '68 convertible. I guess I can just sue for one now instead.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:38 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
Well I'll be damned. I've been thinking about buying a wiring harness for my '68 convertible. I guess I can just sue for one now instead.

The good thing about the current down turn in the US economy is many lawyers will be fired/layed off. I wish we could get rid of them all.

Get notified of new replies

To NASCAR Sues Cessna

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NASCAR Sues Cessna