Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brush on Clear protectant

Old 12-09-2008, 12:15 AM
C5nNC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brush on Clear protectant

I once saw a guy with a yellow Z06 brushing on a clear coat about as thick as paint stripper. It would dry, harden and then peel off after the event. It was in a container about the size of racing brake fluid or paint stripper. Anyone know what this is and where to get it?
Old 12-09-2008, 07:49 AM
l8_apexer
Instructor

roll-on or brush on latex.

Phil at Phil's Automotive sells it. Once it dries, you can peel it off easily.
Phil's site is a link off www.platz.com look under parts/accessorires

A Car Protection System That's Completely Removable!!

Acrylic Windshield "Tear Off" Film
As Seen In NASCAR®
Simple Installation and Clean Up
Not Detectable
$85.00

Latex Rubber Paint Protectant
Simple Brush On- Peel Off
$40.00/Quart
Disclaimer:
1. Persons with a latex allergy should avoid using this product.
2. Will not sell this product for use on a Fiero®

Low Adhesive Plastic
12" x 25' roll, low adhesive plastic paint protectant. Almost clear when applied. Equal to what is seen at new car lots.
$40.00/roll

[Back | Top]
Old 12-09-2008, 04:07 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

How does it dry? Better or worse than the 3M stuff?
Old 12-09-2008, 05:04 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I 've used this exact Latex product before on a Porsche Boxster S, purchased from Phil's.

It goes on milky white and dries to clear. If installed properly, it will be thicker and provide a little more impact cushioning from typical track debris then traditional 3M clear bras, though it's obviously not as permanent.

My suggestions :

- To avoid lumpiness or a 'brush stroke' texture, install it using a short-nap paint roller rather then a brush, and put it on in at least 3 pretty thick layers. Where I installed it too thinly, it was a nightmare to remove (came off like gummy buggers...).

- Avoid allowing the edges to feather/thin out, or the same removal issues will apply. Try to keep the edges well-defined and as thick as the rest of it. It can indeed be removed easily and in sheets if the whole treatment ends up thick.

- Let it dry for NO less then 24 hours before driving - especially if you may encounter rain during your travels. This stuff is somewhat water-soluble, so rain will cause some of it to either change back to white (which looks very weird) or bits can just come off completely. Extra curing time will help it adhere better.

Phil's will give you the same instructions as above when you buy it, so the basics are - RTFM and do what they tell you.

Hope that helps...
Old 12-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

I use clear Contact Paper from Home Depot. Takes 1 roll to do the car. I have nearly 40 racing days on the car and not a single chip, scratch or mar. It's thicker than the clear bra I have on the front end.

Since I have a plastic car, it also makes a great place to put my numbers, underneath the contact paper.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:35 PM
C5nNC
Racer

How long does it take to get from Phil? He just has a mail in order form on the website.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:57 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by C5nNC
How long does it take to get from Phil? He just has a mail in order form on the website.
I bought mine from Phil's back in 2001, so I don't know if my experience is still relevant - but - the shipping time was very reasonable as I recall.

There is a phone number shown on his site - I suggest you call it before ordering, just to make sure he still carries the stuff and is responsive to new orders.

Let us know how it goes...
Old 12-15-2008, 12:46 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Datawiz
I use clear Contact Paper from Home Depot. Takes 1 roll to do the car. I have nearly 40 racing days on the car and not a single chip, scratch or mar. It's thicker than the clear bra I have on the front end.

Since I have a plastic car, it also makes a great place to put my numbers, underneath the contact paper.
I tried conact (shelf liner) paper from the drug store and it was very difficult/awkward to apply. Is the stuff from HD better in some way??

DH
Old 12-16-2008, 09:33 PM
C5nNC
Racer

I ended up ordering liquid latex from an Industrial plastic manufacturer for $47 a gallon. Haven't tried it yet, but should be the same stuff as on Phil's website.

Get notified of new replies

To Brush on Clear protectant

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brush on Clear protectant