Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gary (Hardbar) Hoffman

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 03:54 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Gary (Hardbar) Hoffman

Just posting this for Gary in case your trying to get a hold of him.
He got hit by the icestorm.
He had to cut his trip to PRI short and come back.
He's up on generator power, but his internet is down.

MA & NH are in a STATE OF EMERGENCY

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO98291/

More than 350K without power after ice storm
Enlarge this image
More than 350K without power after ice storm
Related Article Links

BOSTON -- A winter storm pounded New England with pouring rain, sleet and ice, knocking out power to roughly 350,000 customers in Massachusetts, closing schools and roads and prompting Gov. Deval Patrick to declare a statewide state of emergency Friday.

The storm, which began Thursday night, coated trees with ice, causing branches to break onto power lines and roadways throughout central and western Massachusetts. By Friday, emergency crews raced to clean up the debris, but homes, businesses and even some courts in Worcester remained dark and officials warned it could be days before power is restored.

No major injuries were reported, but police were searching for a Marlborough Department of Public Works employee who went missing after reporting to work early Friday. Kevin Connolly was last seen about 5 a.m. near the department building.

Robert Warfield, a 72-year-old Worcester resident, said tree limbs and debris made it impossible to get through his street. Loud sounds from a breaking maple tree woke him up about 4:30 a.m. Friday.

"The limbs just kept snapping and they hit my roof six times," he said. "I've never seen anything like it in the 45 years I've lived here."

National Grid reported about 290,000 electric customers without power, mostly in the Worcester and Merrimack Valley areas, while Western Massachusetts Electric Co. put their outages at roughly 21,000 customers. Some towns, including Becket, Windsor, Cummington and Middlefield, experienced near blackout conditions.

"This is a really extreme situation we are experiencing," National Grid spokeswoman Jackie Barry said.

NStar, which serves mostly eastern Massachusetts, reported scattered outages of 7,000 customers. And smaller utility companies in towns also reported outages, said Peter Judge, a spokesman for the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency.

"All of the resources at our disposal have been made available to try to get the roads clear and power restored," said Patrick, who declared the state of emergency and called up 500 members of the National Guard to help clean debris and clear access to downed power lines. "The earliest estimates that we have for power being restored is Monday, and I think many of us view that as an ambitious estimate at this point."

State officials urged residents without power to check into shelters and avoid heating their homes with makeshift devices.

The Red Cross, in conjunction with the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency, has opened 23 temporary shelters across the state. In Holden, which had no power, some senior citizens on oxygen were taken to the hospital or a shelter opened at the town's senior center.

"Don't sit around the house and wait," Judge said. "It's still very grim out there. It's not going to be a quick fix."

The National Weather Service reported the storm system has passed through the state by Friday afternoon, but western Massachusetts would continue to see freezing temperatures until Sunday.

Georgine Sparr, the manager of Flynn's Truck Stop in Shrewsbury, said her customers in central Massachusetts complained of downed trees covered in ice, flooded roads and power outages -- but felt better once they had a cup of coffee.

"They got hit with everything at one time, except the snow, thank goodness," Sparr said.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:39 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Gary when you get back in the world. I will share my John Deere tractor generator ideas with you.

Randy
Old 12-15-2008, 09:50 PM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Gary when you get back in the world. I will share my John Deere tractor generator ideas with you.

Randy
That's what my Dad does. Anytime a hurricane starts heading his way he puts the tractor in the garage and hooks up a PTO generator. He has a big electrical junction box and when he throws the switch the house comes off the grid and is powered by the tractor!
Old 12-15-2008, 11:57 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MJM
That's what my Dad does. Anytime a hurricane starts heading his way he puts the tractor in the garage and hooks up a PTO generator. He has a big electrical junction box and when he throws the switch the house comes off the grid and is powered by the tractor!
Picture please It's one of my red-neck dreams in life But will come in very handy one day.

Randy
Old 12-16-2008, 12:02 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Picture please It's one of my red-neck dreams in life But will come in very handy one day.

Randy
we have one out on the farm also, tractor ran for a few hours at higher rpms when we were kids and the power ran out, dad had to have juice to power the milker pumps
Old 12-16-2008, 08:28 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I am back, and the 6250 watt generator worked well. The Deere was needed to clear all of the downed trees while the generator was on. I wish I had one of Brad's (Subdriver) reactors in the back yard for the whole neighborhood or town.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:58 PM
JRD77VET
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Randy
Here's some from Northern Tool
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_36%20182378

Jeff
Old 12-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Now all we need is for Doug Rippie Motorsports to come out with an adapter to mate the PTO Generator to the rear hub on a Vette. The vette is in the garage during hurricanes. Put her on jackstands, remove a rear wheel and hook'er up! Detached garage of course, don't want to suffocate everybody in the house.........

Get notified of new replies

To Gary (Hardbar) Hoffman

Quick Reply: Gary (Hardbar) Hoffman