Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do racers make better street drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 01:31 PM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Gary!
With over 15 years experience on the Fire Service both as a grunt and driver/operator, I can personally attest to HPDE's having a positive influence both in my personal and professional life. Developing a sense of car/apparatus control in emergency and non-emergency situations as a result is quite noticeable but most especially the calmness and focus of mind that I have aquired while in operation allows me an accute situational awareness enabling me to respond accordingly. Most people drive in a state of tunnel vision and do not look at the big picture nor ahead.
Playing Devils advocate, our job security results from people negligence and panic more so than extreme environmental conditions(Most TC's I've found are do to what others here have already mentioned: cell phones, food, make up, drug influences...in other words a complete lack of focus to the surrounding environment.)
As a result, I 've found that I drive sightly faster or slower that the rest of the sheep. Going with the flow isn't necessarily a good thing in my book!

Ed
Old 01-13-2009, 01:47 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
That being said, I am in need of a track day fix soon.
I'm registered for a PCA event this weekend at Roebling, but I don't think I can make it. You wanna take my place?
Old 01-13-2009, 10:56 PM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Put one more check in the "don't drive fast on the street now" column for me. I get the same surprised look from passengers as they climb over the roll bar and shout over the exhaust asking why I'm going 65!

My 16 year old son just attended his first HPDE in Nov. Since that single event I've noticed a difference in his driving. He's shifting better, looking further ahead, and has better car position in turns.

John
Old 01-13-2009, 11:51 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnD60
Put one more check in the "don't drive fast on the street now" column for me. I get the same surprised look from passengers as they climb over the roll bar and shout over the exhaust asking why I'm going 65!
+1. Track time (even from motorcycling days) has me just not needing to "speed" all the time.

I am often passed as I cruise 1 or 2mph above the limit in the center lane with SUV's, Camry's and Pruii wizzing by 10mph over the limit.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:20 AM
F.J.B.
Le Mans Master

It simple.....YES WE ARE BETTER DRIVERS!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2009, 09:24 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by RC45
... Pruii wizzing by 10mph over the limit.
Is "Pruii' plural of Prius?
I can't believe how stupid most drivers are, doing things like hitting the brakes in a straight line for no reason then wondering why they have no steering on snow. I don't understand why that is the reaction of most people. This lack of training flows down from the top. Former NHTSA head honcho during the Carter administration Joan Claybrook, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Claybrook) was asked about learning spin control as part of driver's training and she thought that would encourage irresponsible behavior .
I wonder how many street accidents Mario Andretti has had?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:50 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman

Yeah, but I remember an interview with Mario about 20 years ago where he said the most scared he's ever been while driving was while trying to navigate the Garden State Parkway at rush hour. 80 mph bumper-to-bumper in all four lanes!
Old 01-14-2009, 01:36 PM
stax68
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Burnsey

Traffic was, per usual, speeding up to 65mph, then back down to 10, then back up to 50, then stopping...etc etc...I saw her brake lights come on, and the nose of her truck drop, so I braked lightly and used up my ~3 car lengths of space to avoid being rear-ended myself. Well, I misjudged her rate of deceleartion and POW!...
Sometimes the consideration of other cars results in good things.
...ie..collision avoidance...however...
..at other times it takes away that one second we needed to avoid
something else...
..typical driver does not have this problem as they
are oblivious to what is around them and just focus straight ahead..
Old 01-14-2009, 02:46 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by AMERICANMUSL
Hey Gary!
With over 15 years experience on the Fire Service both as a grunt and driver/operator, I can personally attest to HPDE's having a positive influence both in my personal and professional life. Developing a sense of car/apparatus control in emergency and non-emergency situations as a result is quite noticeable but most especially the calmness and focus of mind that I have aquired while in operation allows me an accute situational awareness enabling me to respond accordingly. Most people drive in a state of tunnel vision and do not look at the big picture nor ahead.
Playing Devils advocate, our job security results from people negligence and panic more so than extreme environmental conditions(Most TC's I've found are do to what others here have already mentioned: cell phones, food, make up, drug influences...in other words a complete lack of focus to the surrounding environment.)
As a result, I 've found that I drive sightly faster or slower that the rest of the sheep. Going with the flow isn't necessarily a good thing in my book!

Ed
Ed speaks truth here. The last thing you want is to be bunched up with a bunch of distracted idiots on the interstate. I prefer to go a bit faster than traffic, as that makes me decide where to go, as opposed to other cars dictating what I do. Of course, its like skiiing, the faster driver has the responsibility to avoid the slower one. I avoid people that drive unpredictably (kids, old geezers, vw buses with grateful dead stickers all over them), and will blast past them as needed and get clear of them, then settle back down to the cruising speed I had before I encountered them.

Of course, I have gone hyperlegal speeds on the highway, so I'm not innocent. At least when I've done so its been at the "appropriate" time, aware of my surroundings, with the highway clear of traffic. I don't mind risking my own ***, but not going to risk others'.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:47 PM
RC45
Race Director

Is "Pruii' plural of Prius?
Yep... I was trying for an intellectual angle.. but I may have left an i out
Old 01-14-2009, 04:00 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Yep... I was trying for an intellectual angle.. but I may have left an i out
Locus --> Locii
Radius --> Radii
Prius --> Prii ??

Frank Gonzalez
Old 01-14-2009, 04:10 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Don't know about Mario- but Senna and Villeneuve Sr were known to tear things up, driving ballsout as teens.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:53 PM
RC45
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bink
Don't know about Mario- but Senna and Villeneuve Sr were known to tear things up, driving ballsout as teens.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/P...0RR_208206.htm

It must a be a cultural thing (regarding Senna)... this Brazilian video appeared on a few forums a while back, and apparently the GT3 driver and bike riders are frequent track junkies (and might even be amatuer racers) in Brazil... and supposedly this behaviour is normal for "fast and skilled drivers" in Brazil, or so the guy who posted the video would like us believe.

Myself and a few others got into to it with him over on another forum.. and they dont think there is anythign wrong with this, because they have the skills.

Last edited by RC45; 01-14-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:59 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/P...0RR_208206.htm

It must a be a cultural thing (regarding Senna)... this Brazilian video appeared on a few forums a while back, and apparently the GT3 driver and bike riders are frequent track junkies (and might even be amatuer racers) in Brazil... and supposedly this behaviour is normal for "fast and skilled drivers" in Brazil, or so the guy who posted the video would like us believe.

Myself and a few others got into to it with him over on another forum.. and they dont think there is anythign wrong with this, because they have the skills.
So, they have a**holes in Brazil too! Somehow it's not surprising.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 01-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
Locus --> Locii
Radius --> Radii
Prius --> Prii ??

Frank Gonzalez
Lexus --> Lexii ?
Locutus --> Locutiaii?
pi --> pii?

Old 01-14-2009, 09:29 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
Lexus --> Lexii ?
Locutus --> Locutiaii?
pi --> pii?

I am Lucutus of Borg.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am Lucutus of Borg.
Ha Ha, I was wondering how many would get the reference!

Get notified of new replies

To Do racers make better street drivers?

Old 01-14-2009, 10:11 PM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

I am Lucutus of Borg.
"Live long and prosper" Gary!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:01 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

I believe what I learned doing HPDE's saved my life last May.

I was on my way to Summit Point - Shenandoah, VA, traveling down Rt78 in rush hour traffic. It was raining pretty good, I was doing the speed limit and had just moved from the middle lane to the left lane to pass an F250 pickup truck in front of me. I was just about around the truck when all of a sudden he decided he wanted to be in my lane more then I did. so without even looking to the left he just came over. No turn signal or anything, just moved over into my lane. I nailed the horn and tried to move to the left to avoid an addicent but he just kept coming in my lane... all I heard was a loud "thud".

Next thing I knew he did the PIT move on me, putting his left front tire to the rear of my car and spun me sideways across 3 lanes of rush hour traffic. Its amazing I didn't hit anyone in the process! All that went threw my head when I was spinning was "when in a spin, both feet in". I put the clutch in and stood on the brakes and some how was able to straighten the car out. ONly thing is I was turned around 180* and still traveling at a pretty good rate of speed. I was also half off the road because I was seeing trees now instead of cars.

I came off the brake and while still traveling backwards managed to steer the car back into the aspahlt. I wound up coming to a complete stop right next to the jersey barrier in the left lane although still facing the wrong direction. amazingly the car wasn't damaged that bad except for grass everywhere and a nascar tire mark on the door.

thats where the front tire on an F250 comes up to on an EVO.

If not for what I learned about car control, weight transfer and smooth inputs who knows what would have happen. I don't know how much HPDE's help but in my opinion they sure didn't hurt anything.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:27 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

depends. in some way yes, you will be better prepared to deal with an emergency and will have some skills to react to the car doing unusual stuff.

on the other hand, once you start getting comfortable pushing the car, the temptation is there to do it on the street, which is dangerous, given that the traffic and road conditions are much less predictable.

Quick Reply: Do racers make better street drivers?