Notices
Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 2010 SCCA Solo Classing Proposal -- A Stock

 
Old 01-21-2009, 07:35 PM
  #1  
TedDBere
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TedDBere's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2002
Location: Charleston South Carolina
Posts: 3,070
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C5 2010 SCCA Solo Classing Proposal -- A Stock

What do you think?

February Fastrack Proposal for 2010:

The SAC offers the following classing change proposal package for member comment:

- Move models currently in B Stock into C Stock, merging the two classes.
- Move models currently in A Stock into B Stock.
- Move the following models into A Stock:

BMW Z4 M Coupe/Roadster (06+)
BMW M3 (08+)
Lexus IS-F
Mercedes C63 AMG
Porsche 911 Turbo (95-97)
Porsche 911 (98-04)
Porsche Cayman S (05+)
Porsche Boxster S (05+)
The SAC would like member input regarding whether to include the following models in this move:
Chevrolet Corvette (99-04)
Lotus Esprit Turbo (96-04)
Mazda RX-7 (93-95)

The SAC is considering the base C5 Corvette and RX-7 as lower-cost entries that could increase participation. The relative age, parts availability, and car availability are of particular concern. Additionally, the SAC is requesting comment on whether to include the Corvette Fixed Roof Coupes (FRC), as they were only produced in 1999 and 2000 with production numbers around 6000.
TedDBere is offline  
Old 01-21-2009, 08:27 PM
  #2  
EvilBoffin
CF Senior Member
 
EvilBoffin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: Middle of Redneck Hell, NC
Posts: 972
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default

So B cars would go down into C and all A cars just change their class stickers to B.

That makes room for the 'Tweener' class just below SS that they have always wanted... to be called A-Stock.

Does that sound right, Ted?

.

Last edited by EvilBoffin; 01-21-2009 at 08:29 PM.
EvilBoffin is offline  
Old 01-21-2009, 08:34 PM
  #3  
TedDBere
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TedDBere's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2002
Location: Charleston South Carolina
Posts: 3,070
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CrystalRacer View Post
So B cars would go down into C and all A cars just change their class stickers to B.

That makes room for the 'Tweener' class just below SS that they have always wanted... to be called A-Stock.

Does that sound right, Ted?

.


That's right. Finally, a place for the non Z06s to play.
TedDBere is offline  
Old 01-22-2009, 12:06 AM
  #4  
ratt_finkel
CF Senior Member
 
ratt_finkel's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 426
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Stellar idea. They should've done this a long time ago.
ratt_finkel is offline  
Old 01-22-2009, 03:33 AM
  #5  
EvilBoffin
CF Senior Member
 
EvilBoffin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: Middle of Redneck Hell, NC
Posts: 972
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default

The biggest hesitation for moving the RX-7 out of SS has always been - where the heck do you find a running RX-7 Turbo that still qualifies (honestly) for stock class? They just don't exist anymore in stock form - most are broken/dead/turned to dust and the rest have been heavily modified/riced-out. It certainly doesn't qualify as an entry that could increase participation noticeably.

The C5 could be a very different story, though. And what about the FRC??? Any reason it should NOT go to A-Stock?

Also, it might be worth noting that the '09 Cayman S can be had with 320HP, a mechanical limited slip diff, the lightweight PCCB brakes and the new PDK clutchless manumatic tranny. At ~2950 pounds, it could be a real (expensive) threat in this 'Tweener' class if they don't cap the Cayman/Boxster year model at 2008...
.

Last edited by EvilBoffin; 01-22-2009 at 10:49 AM.
EvilBoffin is offline  
Old 01-22-2009, 10:00 AM
  #6  
steverife
Junior Member
 
Member Since: May 2008
Location: Knoxville TN
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I like the prospects of a new A Stock and would seriously look into getting a C5 if this went through, but I'm not sure what is wrong with the classes as they sit.
steverife is offline  
Old 01-22-2009, 10:37 AM
  #7  
AverageVetteNut
CF Senior Member
 
AverageVetteNut's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2004
Location: Anywhere where Cones need hit
Posts: 6,735
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09
Default

Well, B-stock has become a spec class lately, and they're trying to get some more life in other cars....

PLUS, they want to have a class for the Uber cars, like the ZR1, GTR, The new GT3/GT2 Porsches, etc... Either that, or add another class like "X-Stock" for them.

Glad they want to leave the Z06 as is.
AverageVetteNut is offline  
Old 01-22-2009, 10:45 AM
  #8  
steverife
Junior Member
 
Member Since: May 2008
Location: Knoxville TN
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AverageVetteNut View Post
Well, B-stock has become a spec class lately, and they're trying to get some more life in other cars....

PLUS, they want to have a class for the Uber cars, like the ZR1, GTR, The new GT3/GT2 Porsches, etc... Either that, or add another class like "X-Stock" for them.

Glad they want to leave the Z06 as is.
BS is no more of a spec class than a lot of others. The "new" A Stock wouldn't do anything for an "uber stock" class.
steverife is offline  
Old 01-22-2009, 12:23 PM
  #9  
steverife
Junior Member
 
Member Since: May 2008
Location: Knoxville TN
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Here's another question....

If you are looking to run a C5 in the "new" AS, why not run a Z06 in SS? Operation costs should be similar. I'm skeptical that two grids would be filled.
steverife is offline  
Old 01-22-2009, 12:27 PM
  #10  
RX7 KLR
CF Senior Member
 
RX7 KLR's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2001
Location: Coto de Caza CA
Posts: 1,144
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CrystalRacer View Post
The biggest hesitation for moving the RX-7 out of SS has always been - where the heck do you find a running RX-7 Turbo that still qualifies (honestly) for stock class? They just don't exist anymore in stock form - most are broken/dead/turned to dust and the rest have been heavily modified/riced-out. It certainly doesn't qualify as an entry that could increase participation noticeably.
There are two examples here in Socal that run in SS. Both have spent big money to stay stock legal.
RX7 KLR is offline  
Old 01-22-2009, 12:28 PM
  #11  
RX7 KLR
CF Senior Member
 
RX7 KLR's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2001
Location: Coto de Caza CA
Posts: 1,144
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AverageVetteNut View Post
Well, B-stock has become a spec class lately, and they're trying to get some more life in other cars....

PLUS, they want to have a class for the Uber cars, like the ZR1, GTR, The new GT3/GT2 Porsches, etc... Either that, or add another class like "X-Stock" for them.

Glad they want to leave the Z06 as is.
There is no part of that proposal that talks about Super Duper Stock, that proposal came and went. This is a new plan.

Last edited by RX7 KLR; 01-22-2009 at 03:21 PM.
RX7 KLR is offline  
Old 01-22-2009, 02:21 PM
  #12  
Rod B
CF Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary Alberta
Posts: 88
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by steverife View Post
Here's another question....

If you are looking to run a C5 in the "new" AS, why not run a Z06 in SS? Operation costs should be similar. I'm skeptical that two grids would be filled.
Just a hunch, but perhaps one reason may be because you already own a non-Z06 c5??
Rod B is offline  
Old 01-22-2009, 02:51 PM
  #13  
froggy47
CF Senior Member
 
froggy47's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 10,487
Received 141 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Rod B View Post
Just a hunch, but perhaps one reason may be because you already own a non-Z06 c5??



There are lots of guys with base coupe/vert c5's that figure they have no chance in ss going against the z/late model p cars/lotus.

I like this idea to get them into AS.

A stock FRC (if you have one or can find one) might even be an overdog.

Does anyone know if the FRC had the Z06 tranny gears?
froggy47 is offline  
Old 01-22-2009, 02:55 PM
  #14  
AverageVetteNut
CF Senior Member
 
AverageVetteNut's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2004
Location: Anywhere where Cones need hit
Posts: 6,735
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09
Default

Originally Posted by RX7 KLR View Post
There is no part of that proposal that talks about Super Duper Stock, that proposal came and went. This is a new plan.
that was my point... that the option of making a SUPER SS class was ditched.
AverageVetteNut is offline  
Old 01-22-2009, 03:09 PM
  #15  
steverife
Junior Member
 
Member Since: May 2008
Location: Knoxville TN
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by froggy47 View Post


There are lots of guys with base coupe/vert c5's that figure they have no chance in ss going against the z/late model p cars/lotus.
Are they going to start competing nationally?
steverife is offline  
Old 01-22-2009, 04:23 PM
  #16  
VetteDrmr
CF Senior Member
 
VetteDrmr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2000
Location: Hot Springs AR
Posts: 7,899
Received 344 Likes on 202 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by froggy47 View Post
Does anyone know if the FRC had the Z06 tranny gears?
No, FRCs have stock MN6 trannys. Only difference (other than the body style) is FRC came stock with Z-51 option.

Have a good one,
Mike
VetteDrmr is offline  
Old 01-22-2009, 10:01 PM
  #17  
froggy47
CF Senior Member
 
froggy47's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 10,487
Received 141 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by steverife View Post
Are they going to start competing nationally?

How would anyone know that? Not sure I get your point?

We are talking about an adjustment to the SCCA national classes which also adjusts the regional classes. It's not just a change at the national level.

My point is get more people involved in the SCCA autox sport. Many folks will not even give it a try if they feel their car is out gunned from the start.

Base c5 in a new AS class is a good fit.

froggy47 is offline  
Old 01-23-2009, 01:53 AM
  #18  
96solo
CF Senior Member
 
96solo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2005
Location: Chandler AZ
Posts: 1,157
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by AverageVetteNut View Post
Well, B-stock has become a spec class lately, and they're trying to get some more life in other cars....

PLUS, they want to have a class for the Uber cars, like the ZR1, GTR, The new GT3/GT2 Porsches, etc... Either that, or add another class like "X-Stock" for them.

Glad they want to leave the Z06 as is.
Unlimited Stock would be a better and more appropriate class name, IMHO. X means what?

Much like NASA 's Time Trial TTU (Unlimited), and TTS (Super) classes.
96solo is offline  
Old 01-23-2009, 08:18 AM
  #19  
97C5inSD
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
97C5inSD's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2004
Location: Brule County South dakota
Posts: 903
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I like this idea actually One thing i would be curious on though is if we could run the zo6 wheels on the AS vette or if we would still be on what they come with. I currently Run SM2 with my 99 FRC and the misses has been wanting to get into it also but with her own car so we have been looking into a second vette and well really don't wana spend alot and would love to stay in a stock class and this would be perfect for that.
97C5inSD is offline  
Old 01-23-2009, 09:23 AM
  #20  
TedDBere
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TedDBere's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2002
Location: Charleston South Carolina
Posts: 3,070
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 97C5inSD View Post
I like this idea actually One thing i would be curious on though is if we could run the zo6 wheels on the AS vette or if we would still be on what they come with. I currently Run SM2 with my 99 FRC and the misses has been wanting to get into it also but with her own car so we have been looking into a second vette and well really don't wana spend alot and would love to stay in a stock class and this would be perfect for that.
You'd have to stay with the stock size rims. But so would everybody else! No more getting hammered by the Z06s.
TedDBere is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 2010 SCCA Solo Classing Proposal -- A Stock


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: