Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing open trailer with duramax

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 06:04 AM
jabrun
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Towing open trailer with duramax

I'm looking at possibly getting a used Duramax 2500 for towing. Are there certain years to stay away from? Was '01 the first year they came out?
Old 01-23-2009, 07:37 AM
GS023
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jabrun
I'm looking at possibly getting a used Duramax 2500 for towing. Are there certain years to stay away from? Was '01 the first year they came out?
I've had and 01,04, and now an 06. The 01 was still the best IMHO. If you cant find and 01 I would go all the way to 06 when they added a gear to the automatic. 01 was the first year.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:01 AM
l8_apexer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Used Duramax- tips

Stay away from the pre-04's. They had a lot of problems with injectors-- getting them replaced costs several thousand dollars. About midway through the 2004 model year they introduced an updated Duramax engine-- the engine code is "LLY" that had different style of injectors, different heads, a variable vane turbo and significantly more power. I bought one new-- it is FABULOUS to tow with. You'll hardly even know the trailer is back there. In fact it will ride better towing a trailer with your car loaded on it than it will empty.

IMHO there isn't a better two vehicle powertrain.

If you're getting a Duramax-- why get an open trailer? that rig can pull a house!! Get an enclosed-- at least a 24 footer.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:14 AM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Jeff i've had an 03 and a 07 i liked my 03 the milage is better out of my 07 cause of the 6 speed trans and the edge install. i get 16-17 pulling the vette now.

As for years 03 newer but if you could squeeze it try for a 06-07 classic bodystyle the new body style has a diffrent engine yet and that burner deal in the exhaust got a friend that is hateing the milage outta his right now.

03 has the updated LB7 still 04-05 is the LLY and the 06-07 is lBZ i belive.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:50 AM
jabrun
Pro

Thanks for the replies everyone; Todd, all I can probably afford would be an '03 or older, there are several in Sioux Falls that I was thinking about looking at. My 6.0 gas burner with 4.10 gears actually handles the trailer decent if you aren't in a hurry but the empty gas milage going to and from work sucks. I never run over 65 and it averages 10mpg. with part of it being city driving.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Radguy
Racer

Listen to l8_apexer.

I have an '04.5 Duramax with the LLY engine--significant engine upgrades from the LB7. Mine is a crew cab long box--length of a freight train, but I absolutely love it!! Had it almost 5 years and the only thing I done in terms of maintenance is oil and filters and fuel filters--mods are another thing completely different. Truck so far has been flawless in terms of reliability.

If a 6 speed tranny is a must, the 5 speed Allisons can be converted to 6 speed for about 2K.

Jonathan
Old 01-23-2009, 10:34 AM
GS023
Drifting

With my 06 (CC,SB) I pull a 24' enclosed that has a small living quarters in front. Weight with a car about 11-12K. I average 12MPG at 70. Town & road combo driving mt the DIC consistantly shows 17+ avg. I have milked 20+ on the road empty at 70.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:42 AM
fej
Melting Slicks

I have an 06 LBZ and love it. From all of my research either a very early 07 with the LBZ motor or an 06 with the LBZ will net you the best power numbers and best mileage from the factory. The mid 07 and up diesels have the DPF (particulate filter) with the regen and extra burn off that will cost you some MPG in most cases.

On most trips towing an open steel trailer I run between 16 and 17.5mpg. I tend to tow in the 65-68 mph range as well. I daily drive it and hand calculate every tank. Mixed city/hwy nets me an average of about 18.25mpg. I drive it 70-75 on the freeway. Going 68-70 will get me 19+.

G'luck
Fej

Last edited by fej; 01-23-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

I've got what you need, and she'll be more than ready when you move up to an enclosed rig.

It's been garage kept since day one and has 23,000 miles on it. The paint has an excellent shine, and the interior is super nice. No damage or paintwork ever.

2007 Silverado Classic LT crew cab Dually
3500 series 4X4 with the 6.6 Duramax and 6 speed Allison auto trans.
That's 360 hp and 650 ft lbs of torque under your right foot.
Towing package.
Dark Gray leather seating with heated front seats.
Memory package.
Dual zone comfort controls.
AM-FM-CD-XM.
On-star.
Steering wheel controls.

Mods
Line-X bed liner
SS wheel covers
SS step (Boss Bars by Putco)
Pop & Lock tailgate lock

$31,000 OBO

Jeff
Old 01-23-2009, 03:58 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the replies everyone; Todd, all I can probably afford would be an '03 or older, there are several in Sioux Falls that I was thinking about looking at. My 6.0 gas burner with 4.10 gears actually handles the trailer decent if you aren't in a hurry but the empty gas milage going to and from work sucks. I never run over 65 and it averages 10mpg. with part of it being city driving.

If you can then Jeff try for an 03 if thats the best you can muster. they have a few other updates in them that will be benifical
Old 01-23-2009, 06:51 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

guess it will be a duramax crew this summer at the auto x also, i am hot on the trail of a few looking for 03 + due to interior updates

interstate has a few good repairable ones in stock for not too bad of price.

jeff look on ebay or so, everyone here in the midwest thinks they are made of gold or something. I saw a clear title 04 with 150k on it sell for 12900 at a dealer and it was loaded up in michigan
and a local guy with a salvage title 04 with same miles wanted friggen 15900 for his
Old 01-24-2009, 08:04 AM
jabrun
Pro

Well, I looked at two pickups yesterday both had high miles, an '01 extended cab and an '02 crew cab. The '02 has had all the injectors replaced. I wonder if the injectors going bad is something that eventually happens on all the early ones. It would be nice to get a low milage '04 or newer one but I really don't want to borrow a bunch of money to do this. How many miles will these engines last? Is replacing the injectors something a guy with decent mechanical skills could do on his own? Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Radguy
Racer

The LB7 Duramax (pre '04) was well known for injector problems. The next generation (LLY) was introduced in mid '04, with a number of engine upgrades, one of which apparently were the injectors(also an increase in power from the LB7).

Mine, which is almost 5 years old, has 82K miles on it, and at the most recent oil change visit, the GM mechanic congradulated me on finally breaking in the motor. According to more than one GM mechanic, these engines go for 300-350K before requiring any major service.

There are a LOT of people that mod these trucks(me included). Some people build up the trannys, install bigger fuel pumps and tune them to the order of 500HP and a 1000lb.ft. of torque(this is where I'm headed within the next year). That gives you an idea of what these engines are capable of.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:30 AM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Not sure on a duramax jeff i have replaced the injecotors in my cummins though i went with biggers one to give it alittle extra boost wasn't to bad once you figure it out. I don;t think a duramax would be to much worse it may be easier to pull the front wheels off and take the inner fenders out and go in that way but i'm sure it could be done.

I have to agree with derek seems like everyone up here thinks these things are golden yet
Old 01-24-2009, 08:59 AM
jabrun
Pro

Originally Posted by 97C5inSD
Not sure on a duramax jeff i have replaced the injecotors in my cummins though i went with biggers one to give it alittle extra boost wasn't to bad once you figure it out. I don;t think a duramax would be to much worse it may be easier to pull the front wheels off and take the inner fenders out and go in that way but i'm sure it could be done.

I have to agree with derek seems like everyone up here thinks these things are golden yet
Morning Todd; I'm going to pm you with some info on an '05 GMC that I found in Texas and you can let me know what you think.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:26 AM
GS023
Drifting

Lot's for sale here:

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/for...ramax+Equipped
Old 01-24-2009, 11:56 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Well, I looked at two pickups yesterday both had high miles, an '01 extended cab and an '02 crew cab. The '02 has had all the injectors replaced. I wonder if the injectors going bad is something that eventually happens on all the early ones. It would be nice to get a low milage '04 or newer one but I really don't want to borrow a bunch of money to do this. How many miles will these engines last? Is replacing the injectors something a guy with decent mechanical skills could do on his own? Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond.
were they at law motors? they have 2 higher mileage ones that are in good shape from what i could see on their website

also supposedly there was a recall to have the injectors replace so if it wasnt done they had 5 years or 200k to get it one after warranty started from my research

Get notified of new replies

To Towing open trailer with duramax

Old 01-24-2009, 02:36 PM
jabrun
Pro

Originally Posted by dvandentop
were they at law motors? they have 2 higher mileage ones that are in good shape from what i could see on their website

also supposedly there was a recall to have the injectors replace so if it wasnt done they had 5 years or 200k to get it one after warranty started from my research
Hi Derek, One was at Law, their Gray one was gone having the endgate repainted. I looked at the Black crew cab with LT trim but don't really like the light colored interior and the high miles. The other one was a Black '01 extended cab that the owner of Wilson motormart on west 12th had.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:53 PM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Not sure if it's cool to post this in a non for sale section but we have a 2002 GMC crew cab dually 3500 with the Duramax/allison trans and it has 70K miles on it. It's the inlaws and they don't use it for pulling their camper anymore. If I recall they wanted 15K but might be negotiable

http://www.vagabondage.smugmug.com/g...89164731_W8NK9

I have an 04 duramax 2500 crew and it pulls my car and open trailer great.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:22 PM
GlenRoseFireFighter
Racer

I have an '01 with close to 200k miles and love it...no probs, but make sure you check the VIN to make sure the injectors have been changed by GM

Quick Reply: Towing open trailer with duramax