Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installation: Brake Ducts, Hoses, Spindle Ducts

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Silverton
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFleischer
As others have stated... This is an easy job...

If you do not count the trip to Napa or the beer to settle my nerves after the goose visit, this whole job took me about 4 hours, but I was not in a hurry. If you have the tools and no geese it should go pretty quickly for you
I've got more beer for you in Seattle if you can make the trip!

Seriously, though, can I get enough cooling with just the brake ducts (LG or DRM) and save the spindle ducts and hoses for another day?
Old 04-04-2009, 02:36 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO you'd probably be better served by the DRM SS brake pistons... But, yeah, some directed air is better than no air, and I'm sure there're lots and lots of cars running around without spindle ducts and hose...
Old 04-04-2009, 02:45 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by gkmccready
IMO you'd probably be better served by the DRM SS brake pistons... But, yeah, some directed air is better than no air, and I'm sure there're lots and lots of cars running around without spindle ducts and hose...

Especially since the caliper is not getting any cooling air in either case. I don't have any, and this setup never overheats. It works as well on lap one in the morning as it does at he end of the day in August.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:21 PM
MikeFleischer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverton
I've got more beer for you in Seattle if you can make the trip!

Seriously, though, can I get enough cooling with just the brake ducts (LG or DRM) and save the spindle ducts and hoses for another day?
Not planning to head out to Seattle anytime soon, sorry, otherwise I'd be happy to lend a hand

The Stock C6 Vette setup blows air pretty much onto the front tires. Its not very good, the C6 Z06 blows air into the wheel well so its maybe a bit better. I did this first thing to my C6 before I ever tracked it. Its brakes are OK the feel is not great, and they need a gradual constant pressure.

My C5 Z06 needed ducts very very badly (it blows air onto the wheels in the front and rear) and I never did do that to it like I should have. It would heat fracture front rotors in 3 to 5 days of driving DE's. Rotors on the Vette are cheap, but replacing them track side is a pain in the butt, and if I am instructing I just would not have the time. Some preventive stuff like the ducts really helps.

My weekend at RA saw a change of front pads, but the rotors are fine and have plenty of life in them, so the ducts do their job very well, if you plan to track the car regularly or run it at an advanced level then this is a must have upgrade. Next thing I do with my brakes will probably be a BBK, but for me, personally that is hard to justify on anything short of a real race car. I still hold some hope that a ZR1 kit will be sold in a few years and something approaching affordable
Old 04-04-2009, 04:59 PM
GrantB
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I don't have SS pistons, but I disagree. I believe ducting is one of the best brake mods that can be done (right after a change of fluid), and is probably the most cost-effective.

I bought some Ti backing plates from PFYC, and doubled them up on the inside of my caliper (as I didn't think there was any point in putting them on the outside, where there are no pistons or fluid). Last track day I was hard on the ABS in every single braking zone for as much as five laps in a row. After the last outing I didn't give it enough cool-down time and cracked a rotor in the pits. When I changed the rotor and pad the caliper pistons looked fine, and the piston seals were intact.

Oh, this was on stock C5 Z06 pads with 3.5" DRM brake ducts, LG spindles and Kumho XSs. Brake temperature paint indicates the outer edge of the rotor peaked around 1200F.

I've never had any sort of fluid fade, but then I run Castrol SRF I don't mean to suggest that the DRM pistons are a bad product, but I'm not sure the stock calipers are worth spending any money on unless you're in a class that requires their use.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Silverton
Pro

Originally Posted by ghoffman

Especially since the caliper is not getting any cooling air in either case. I don't have any, and this setup never overheats. It works as well on lap one in the morning as it does at he end of the day in August.
Gary, do I have this right: Brake ducts only, NO spindle ducts or hoses?
Old 04-04-2009, 09:57 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Silverton
Gary, do I have this right: Brake ducts only, NO spindle ducts or hoses?
Correct. I might soon have ducts on a different set of calipers though, similar to this:

As an experment I ran the C5 NAPA rotors with the same setup. It workd very well, I just prefer a 14 inch rotor that weighs 5 pounds less each. Note the heat shield on the tie rod end.

Last edited by ghoffman; 04-04-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:21 AM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just learning about this so I'm lurking on this thread...
Old 07-05-2012, 04:39 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

You're gonna be lurking for a while seeing you resurrected a 3 year old thread.

J-
Old 07-05-2012, 04:43 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

it's a bookmark for me...

franman
Old 07-06-2012, 09:19 PM
cruzin2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with with the quantum cooling kit. very good for the money and includes ball joint shields

Old 08-15-2014, 09:44 PM
trj3
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Where do you relocate the sensor to?
Old 08-15-2014, 11:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by trj3
Where do you relocate the sensor to?
There is a spot behind the hub where you can fasten the sensor clip. Once you have it in place it almost looks like a factory setup.

Bill
Old 08-16-2014, 06:57 AM
trj3
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks Bill I have read that but I do not see what I am supposed to attach it to you. The use of a zip tie does not impress me. Do you have a picture of how yours is attached?

***** Update, found where to mount it, Really easy, works great!

Last edited by trj3; 08-17-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:37 PM
DK83
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

thread revival!
I have the DRM ducts with quantum spindle kit. The hoses that came with the kit are already trashed. Which hose do you guys recommend? I realize that some sort of rubbing is inevitable.
Thanks!
Old 03-05-2018, 12:23 PM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
You really should get our bearing fastener kit, that are slightly longer so that you have adequate thread engagement with the spindle duct. The kit also uses 12 point heads (instead of those @#!%^$& Torx head stockers) and Nordlocks.
http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...roducts_id=115
Since hardbar seems to be out of business.... Does anyone happen to know the dimensions of those fasteners?

​​​​​​It would be nice to save a trip to the store in the middle of the job.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Installation: Brake Ducts, Hoses, Spindle Ducts