Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spray on temporary paint protector?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Gideon's_Test
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Spray on temporary paint protector?

I found this at Wal-Mart:

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/shield.html

I guess you spray it on, and later wash it off..

They are clearing it out for $2 a can (I bought a couple of cans)...I've seen C5's and C6's taped up all around the wheels well during racing events...Seems like this would work well for that...
Old 05-07-2009, 08:51 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

I have a dedicated racecar so I don't care so much about my paint. But I am surprised I have not seen more dual use guys giving up the blue painter's tape for this:

http://www.uline.com/BL_6408/Glass-Protection-Tape

A few shops are using this to protect exotic car fenders as they do work on engines. It is pretty cheap and looks to be cheaper than blue tape at 6 bucks a roll. The glass protection tape is also thick like 5mil.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:03 PM
0Robert@SPEEDSOUTH
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We use a product like that, diff. manuf. but same type of material. It works great for service work. No residue whatsover. Thanks for the link fatbillybob, the rolls we've been using are made in Germany for BMW for the transport of their cars as well as work at the end of the line if a car has a problem. I sent the link to our service manager for a price comparison. I bet the stuff we're using isn't cheap!

Even if you do use fender covers this keeps the movement of the cover from scratching, not to mention jeans, drop light cords, etc. We use it on whatever part of the car we're working on. Gives your car that nice, straight from the drycleaners, look.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:13 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Originally Posted by Gideon's_Test

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/shield.html

I guess you spray it on, and later wash it off..

They are clearing it out for $2 a can (I bought a couple of cans)...I've seen C5's and C6's taped up all around the wheels well during racing events...Seems like this would work well for that...
Ironically, this stuff is hard to find @ auto parts stores... lol

I'm planning on getting some for my long travel events to keep the nose nicer. I'll have to run by wally's and get some.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:27 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Gideon's_Test

I've looked everywhere for that damn stuff - even at Wally world. Guess I'll head back over.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:52 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That spray on stuff is for bugs and dirt. Not rock chips on track. Good old $7/roll clear shelf liner still works well and is cheap. It does leave some residue but not a big deal to clean off. Works better than blue painters tape.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:51 AM
khblair
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by sperkins
I've looked everywhere for that damn stuff - even at Wally world. Guess I'll head back over.
i bought the last 3 cans at one of my nearby WalMarts

might go check out the other ones and stock up
Old 05-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I have a dedicated racecar so I don't care so much about my paint. But I am surprised I have not seen more dual use guys giving up the blue painter's tape for this:

http://www.uline.com/BL_6408/Glass-Protection-Tape

A few shops are using this to protect exotic car fenders as they do work on engines. It is pretty cheap and looks to be cheaper than blue tape at 6 bucks a roll. The glass protection tape is also thick like 5mil.
For the time being I'll keep using PVC tape...it comes in 10mil and 20mil thickness and protects infinitely better than blue painters tape. Christie's brand PVC tape from Lowe's works great! Don't use PASCO brand PVC tape...it's way too sticky.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:48 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

We used this: http://buyroadwrap.com/ on our road race car - well just to cover the lights because we are not worried about the paint.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:44 PM
cj68
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RX7 KLR
We used this: http://buyroadwrap.com/ on our road race car - well just to cover the lights because we are not worried about the paint.
That stuff looks just like the carpet protector that many on this site have been using for years.

cj
Old 05-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I use the 3M green painters tape found at auto paint stores. Cost is about $10 for a large roll of 2 in wide tape. It holds up better than the blue tape as it is meant to be used in areas where the tape may be exposed to water/liquids from wet sanding.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Spray on temporary paint protector?

Quick Reply: Spray on temporary paint protector?