Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Speedlab Corvette.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:40 AM
johan@speedlab.se
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New film

Incar movie "dogma style" from our test drive at Barkaby Airfield.

Hard to see the log on the film but we shift from first gear to second at aprox 120km/h and reach 200km/h before we have to brake.

http://www.speedlab.se/wordpress/?p=553

Speedlab driver
/Johan
Old 08-24-2009, 12:02 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Cool, the engine sounds real nice. Did you guys fix the splitter grounding issue? Weren't you going to increase the spring rates?
Old 08-24-2009, 04:10 PM
hemipanter
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by burners
Cool, the engine sounds real nice. Did you guys fix the splitter grounding issue? Weren't you going to increase the spring rates?
Yes, we are but this video is shoot the same day as the other one. The idea with a softer rate is to get a larger ride height reading when working with the down force adjustments. The team has had a few weeks of so the work has been standing by for a while. As soon as I get some baseline aero setting, especially for the rear diffuser, we should go on with testing a few new wing profiles. Then I should calculate for new spring rate and rebuild the shocks accordingly. I will probably use a 3:e vertical spring. Goran
Old 08-24-2009, 04:17 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

translate Google is your friend

http://translate.google.com/translat...s%2F%3Fp%3D553
Old 08-25-2009, 02:21 AM
hemipanter
Instructor

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Hope this is better then.

Yes, we are but this film was taken on the day of the second. The idea of a softer suspension is to get a larger difference in åkhöjd when working with aerodynamic adjustments. The team has had a couple of weeks holiday, so the work has stood still for a while. As soon as I get some basic Aero settings, particularly for the rear diffuser, should we proceed to test some new wings. Then I will calculate the new spring rigid units and rebuilding shock absorbers. I will probably use a 3rd vertical spring.
Goran
Old 08-25-2009, 03:46 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Video reminds me of the old muscle car stories where somebody tapes a $100 bill to the dash and "if you can reach it, it's yours!" and then starts accelerating...
Old 09-21-2009, 05:07 PM
hemipanter
Instructor

Now we have been out on the track test driving the car. I must say that we are very pleased so far. We increased the front wheel rate to prevent the splitter from hitting the ground. We need to reduce the expansion of the rear diffussor with 2 "to raise the downforce effect. Greater expansion reductions resulted in less downforce. The rear wing was mounted to dramatically increase rear downforce. At 110 mph, we had about 600p over the rear axle.
Here is the starting diffusser level.

Here's how it looks after adjustment.

The steering was good feeling when all the downforce came with, and the manual concept car is working well.
We were wondering how the almost zero consolidated front end geometry would work, 1 SAI dgr, 2 dgr caster and almost no scrub. But together with the manual steering so the drivers thought that the feeling in the steering wheel became even better and cleaner.

We are now starting to get a better picture of how the spring system must be designed and we will probably use a third vertical system that has about 1/2" clearance before it stops kompression from downforce. In this way we can go right soft suspension (more front roll stiffness) at low speed and get good acc grip out of the curves.
Goran
Old 09-21-2009, 06:35 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

awesome. Totally bada$$.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:04 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

Very impressive, well thought out and engineered build. Good luck getting it dialed in, I have no doubt that you guys will

Fej
Old 09-23-2009, 04:01 PM
hemipanter
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
awesome. Totally bada$$.
Originally Posted by fej
Very impressive, well thought out and engineered build. Good luck getting it dialed in, I have no doubt that you guys will

Fej
Thanks.
Feels good with support, becouse this has been 24 hours a day work
for a long time.

We are going to mount a larger front master brake cylinder for more rear braking, and do a few braking tests at the local straight, mount the final design splitter and then go back to the track 9 of Oktober.
I hope there will be more good news to report.
Goran
Old 10-13-2009, 03:29 PM
hemipanter
Instructor

Now we have tested the car a bit more and everything seems to work well so far. There will be no more tests this year for winter makes itself felt in Sweden now, but we have a good picture of what needs to be addressed in the winter. Aerodynamic look good, both for distribution and power. As you can see on the previous images we have placed the wing very fare back, actually behind the car which seems to help diffusser good. In any case, so we can have a greater expansion in diffussern with the wing in this possition. We have currently about 1700p at 120 mph, distributed fairly equal weight distribution is 56% rear. It might seem a lot but the measurement is made over the suspension system and may contain errors of measurement. I'm talking mostly about aero and it is because that is what I was most uncertain if I'll manage to get to the good. But the car has of course many other sides worth mentioning, but it takes more out of racing driving for an opinion. Now we hope for a successful racing 2010th
Goran
Old 05-22-2010, 01:32 PM
hemipanter
Instructor

During winter time, we have made some little things with the car, among other things,
I have designed a new carbone fibre airfoil that we now have to try.
The wing is mounted using "swan neck" that has lightening cut outs filled with balsawood
in order to lessen turbulence.

A new rear diffusser is also made since the old adjustable show what sort of expansion
to run.

We also did need a third vertical spring to cope with the downforce, and this is what it
comes to look like.

The same with the front diffusser, a new one is made.

I am very excited to see how all this works and the test run is imminent.
Goran
Old 06-16-2010, 05:41 PM
hemipanter
Instructor

Our first race ended in disappointment, left wheel did not hold up with the load in a right curve and the result is visible in the picture. Fortunately, the car landed on track after an air journey which could have stopped really bad.
Goran
Old 06-16-2010, 05:58 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm so excited to see all that work, and I hate that you had an accident with the wheel first race. Please continue to post pictures... they are all appreciated!!!
Old 06-17-2010, 06:12 AM
hemipanter
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
I'm so excited to see all that work, and I hate that you had an accident with the wheel first race. Please continue to post pictures... they are all appreciated!!!
I continue to tell you what happens and attach pictures. Here is a picture of the A-arm that get bent when the wheel went in under the car. It is gratifying in this case is that upprights and other details have been passed the loads from the flight which was about 10 feet up in the air. The plywood underside of the car and the rear diffussor has to be made new.
The wheel on the picture was to get the car on the trailer.
Goran

Last edited by hemipanter; 06-17-2010 at 06:15 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:59 AM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Who made that wheel? It looks like it failed pretty catastrophically.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:52 PM
hemipanter
Instructor

Originally Posted by WBHighwind
Who made that wheel? It looks like it failed pretty catastrophically.
I want to be a bit careful about naming the make, until the factory had let me have a hearing. But the fact is that the rim was broken by the pure strain and not because the car hit something. When I look at the parts so it is in my opinion not made of strong enough material for this type of car. I have that anyone can see in previous images upprights in the center of the wheels which has the effect that the offset for rims are very positive. The car also has much downforce why loads and speeds are high. BUT, I have led Consult the manufacturer to deliver a rim of those facts.
Goran

Get notified of new replies

To The Speedlab Corvette.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:46 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

lucked out in a way, could have been a LOT worse!
Old 06-17-2010, 04:26 PM
hemipanter
Instructor

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham

lucked out in a way, could have been a LOT worse!
Quite right, the audience got a good view of the entire underside of the car when it broke the side plates of the wing against the ground. So the Speedlab team is very happy after all, that they still got a car that with minor repair will be ready for race within a month or so.
Goran
Old 06-17-2010, 11:08 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,716 Likes on 928 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

This car looks awesome! It would be a shame to destroy it, Im glad things worked out in your favor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Speedlab Corvette.