Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 05:51 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C5 Track Car \ HPDE Conversion: What I have learned!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 11:43 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
I think the very first thing you should do to a C5 before you even attempt to track it is remove and clean the radiator.

These cars are old enough now and have been driven enough that I bet 75% of them need the radiator pulled and cleaned as general maintenance.

Then you should keep it blown out as maintenance.

my first C5 Zo6 had heat problems when i first bought it used. looked in radiator area found it full of tumbleweeds FULL! amazing it ran as cool as it did !

So yeah everyone check radiator when they first get a Vette!!

Last edited by rustyguns; 08-20-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:53 AM
carlspeed
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Any helpful hints with regards to power steering? I'm running a 305 square Pirelli take off set, and about mid way through each 35 second run I'm getting fading from the power steering. It'll come back after a few minutes of waiting for the next run, and then sure enough it's gone half way through the next run again. Suggestions?
Old 08-21-2016, 10:01 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by carlspeed
Any helpful hints with regards to power steering? I'm running a 305 square Pirelli take off set, and about mid way through each 35 second run I'm getting fading from the power steering. It'll come back after a few minutes of waiting for the next run, and then sure enough it's gone half way through the next run again. Suggestions?
Put in Redline synthetic oil.

If it doesn't have a cooler, put a Z06 cooler on it. If it has a cooler, clean the outside fins.

Have the pump revalved for $100 from PSC.http://www.pscmotorsports.com/
Old 08-21-2016, 11:16 AM
carlspeed
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks! I'm pretty sure the power steering fluid was synthetic already, but I'll drain and try something different. Just going to be a couple months before I take it out to another event, and if I had to do something like pull and send out the pump to have it re worked, this would be a fantastic time to do it. I drive the car pretty hard, and I know the pump was suffering. Just don't want to rely on the simple thing of fluid before next event unless it's supposed to pretty much definitely take care of the issue. I have a C5 Z, so that should have a cooler already right?
Old 08-21-2016, 12:07 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Thanks! I'm pretty sure the power steering fluid was synthetic already, but I'll drain and try something different. Just going to be a couple months before I take it out to another event, and if I had to do something like pull and send out the pump to have it re worked, this would be a fantastic time to do it. I drive the car pretty hard, and I know the pump was suffering. Just don't want to rely on the simple thing of fluid before next event unless it's supposed to pretty much definitely take care of the issue. I have a C5 Z, so that should have a cooler already right?
Yes, I would clean the coolers fins.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:44 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

If it doesn't have a cooler, put a Z06 cooler on it. If it has a cooler, clean the outside fins.

with all above. you have no idea how good Redline is, it is magic! make sure you flush the power steering system before you change it,

flush it every season!

and I am pretty sure you need a new power steering pump. might as well get the new one re valved too!

one more tip that really works wonders is to move the reservoir away from the engine. that really helps keep fluid cooler
The following users liked this post:
Sam Handwich (08-21-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 10:30 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default here is what I did

Driving hard on the track during hot ambient temps will drive a corvette owner nuts. At least it did for me until I put in a Setrab oil cooler. Easy to install and there was room in the engine bay of my C6. With temps over 100 F at Thunderhill it works for me.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:53 AM
dharmadan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way I'd run that seat
FFB,

Can I ask why you say this? Am curious.

dan
Old 08-26-2016, 12:09 PM
danh52
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

What's the reason for the revalve? What does it change? Feel or what?
Old 08-26-2016, 01:04 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by danh52
What's the reason for the revalve? What does it change? Feel or what?
I never noticed a change in feel, I did notice a change in the heat in generated.

At really low speed it made the car slightly harder to turn, more noticeable when cold out.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:38 AM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 125 Posts

A big hearty thank you Zenak for all your time, energy and experiences that you shared with us! I have read this thread twice taking notes each time. Such a tremendous source of important info!

Thanks again!

Tom
The following 3 users liked this post by TomdaToolman:
72greg (04-26-2020), SacCityCorvette (07-20-2018), Zenak (10-11-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 02:39 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome

Originally Posted by TomdaToolman
A big hearty thank you Zenak for all your time, energy and experiences that you shared with us! I have read this thread twice taking notes each time. Such a tremendous source of important info!

Thanks again!

Tom
SacCityCorvette (07-20-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 08:18 AM
NoradIV
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey man, little guy from the future here (8 years after original post, wow). This post has been incredibly useful for me. I have just started HPDE and have used this thread as a guide. I have started by doing as much reliability mods as I can affoard (RD radiator, DRM trans and diff coolers), and some comfort mods (track seat), then seat time (two sessions every monday and every track day in the weekends).

My next mods will be anything I can do to reduce ongoing costs (tire wear, brake cooling).

Regardless, thank you for writing this.

Last edited by NoradIV; 08-15-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Zenak (10-11-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 10:26 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

My track day friend has a C5 coupe - mine from the same year is an FRC. He mentioned to me that he boiled his PS fluid and had to pay to have a PS cooler installed - then proceeded to show me that the FRC comes with one - which at the time I did not know....
Old 10-18-2018, 10:30 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

I'm headed to a track day on Sat - mostly stock FRC (headers, flip-tie mod, ECS tune, Hawk pads/Centric slotted/cryo-treated rotors/braided brake lines) - I noticed last time that the brake fluid reservior was pretty hot after a run - I searched for cooling tips but couldn't find any - what about soaking a towel in ice water then just wrapping it around the reservoir?
Old 10-18-2018, 12:10 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

flush the power steering system and replace it with redline power steering fluid. Another cheap permanent fix is to move the reservoir away from the engine. Also you can add a bottle of Lucas oil, but if you drive in the snow etc it might freeze up lol I am in AZ don't have that problem
Old 10-18-2018, 01:20 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyguns
flush the power steering system and replace it with redline power steering fluid. Another cheap permanent fix is to move the reservoir away from the engine. Also you can add a bottle of Lucas oil, but if you drive in the snow etc it might freeze up lol I am in AZ don't have that problem
What he said, redline, also if the rack has never been rebuilt, may be tine.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Track Car \ HPDE Conversion: What I have learned!

Old 02-17-2019, 12:09 PM
JumboShrimp
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 157 Likes on 104 Posts

Even though this thread is older than one of my kids - I just CAN'T stop reading it !!
I have nothing to contribute nor would I pretend to. But to those that did - Especially Zenak..... You get a Big Fat 'Atta-Boy' !!
I would think the OP either ended up with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome or Forearms like PopEye. Lot-O-Work got done here - THANK YOU!
The following 2 users liked this post by JumboShrimp:
JustMyMagination (12-08-2019), Zenak (12-26-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 08:07 PM
ApexZ
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

thanks for the inspiring thread.

Zenak (12-26-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 07:00 AM
JustMyMagination
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Echoing a "Thank You!" to Zenak for the HPDE thread write-up. I feel like I'm 20 years late to the prom but I'm just now able to afford (in time and money) the C5 and the parts I've wanted since the car came out when I was in college. This thread is one of the most comprehensive and useful at generating ideas and important information for new C5 owners to begin with the end in mind. . . and save a lot of money from being wasted on silly useless mods. So here is a bump to the top and a cheers to the C5 owners that have contributed here, and to the future of the C5 that is still coming of age for guys like me just now getting into auto-x, drift, track and touring for the first time 23 years later!

From the Eye of the Dragon,
-A
Zenak (12-26-2019)

Quick Reply: C5 Track Car \ HPDE Conversion: What I have learned!