Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 05:51 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C5 Track Car \ HPDE Conversion: What I have learned!

Old 09-03-2009, 05:20 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-04-2009, 01:34 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Thanks for taking the time to organize and present a very well-structured discussion of the "slippery slope" of track addiction ...
Yes ... Moderator - please sticky this ...

Last edited by MungoZ06; 09-04-2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: avatar glitch
Old 09-04-2009, 01:52 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Great write up, I have the attn span of a knat otherwise I'd love to contribute my experiences in detail.. Heres my list, not in the order I did it but this is everything I have on my car now and the order I would do it if I did it all over again:

1) Bigger Rad, Oil Cooler, Power steering cooler
2) Front brake spindles, ducts, stainless lines and race pads
3) Roll bar, Seats and Harnesses
4) Accusump (C5 guy)
5) Poly Bushings, sway bars and end links
6) Coil overs
7) R-compounds
8) Engine Mods
9) Drivetrain Mods

Lots of little things like catch cans, engine mounts etc, but not really needed.

I am now in break=fix mode... time will tell what my next mod is, just waiting for my car to tell me.

Steve
Old 09-22-2009, 12:00 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
Moderator - please sticky this ...
Old 09-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Ok have made many changes... hope the fixes, upgrades and added bonus material helps!
Old 09-24-2009, 05:41 PM
rgg16g
Racer

Originally Posted by Zenak

Brake Ducts:

I am on my second kit. My first kit was a “fire path” kit (http://www.eastcoastsupercharging.co...uct%20Kit.html), meaning the air cooled directly on the inside path where the pads directly heat the rotors....I just installed a Quantum Motorsports Kit (http://store.quantummotorsports.com/...nq78lbb0bc1kn7), this sends the air into the HUB. ......

Could you explain a little more about the difference between the two kits. From the pictures they both appear to send the air directly into the center of the rotor. You say the Quantum sends air into the HUB, but a hub is sealed, do you mean the center of the brake rotor?
Old 09-27-2009, 11:12 PM
QUIKSILVERZ
Burning Brakes

great writeup! i am looking to do my first open-track event in my bolt-on 02 z06 this year and this thread really helped with some questions i had. thanks
Old 09-28-2009, 10:13 AM
conecrusher
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the great write-up.... lots of great advice!
Old 09-28-2009, 03:12 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rgg16g
Could you explain a little more about the difference between the two kits. From the pictures they both appear to send the air directly into the center of the rotor. You say the Quantum sends air into the HUB, but a hub is sealed, do you mean the center of the brake rotor?
THe ECS kit send the air as a tight circle directly to teh INSIDE fire path. Meaning it cools right on the actual path where the brake pad heats the rotor. This is a fine and simple solution for lets say AutoX or 1/4 mile cars. You get time to cool btwn events, and you are never scrubbing off speeds over lets say... um.. 140mph :-P

The Quantum kit send the air towards the hub area, and seals the air from leaking out. It gets some to the rotor also, but the air then flows form the center hub area to the center of the rotor. Most rotors are veined to allow the air to flow form the center outwards. This seems to cool the brakes more evenly inside & outside. Thus less assymetrial cooling of the metal and less warpage / craking.

THis only really matters in cases where the brakes get REALLY hot and tortured without tiem to cool down. ROad racing is the most common case. Where you have 20min to an hour or more on a track, with HIGH speeds and high friction high heat race pads. Rotors will get hot enough to need pads that can handle 1200-1600F in some cases! OUCH!

Going from 140mph+ to 60 mpg in 300 feet just can be bruttle! This means if you cant cool teh brakes, they can glaze and lose friction.

LIek I said though this never really happens in Solo Auto X or 1/4 mile applications where the ECS kit I think would be overkill even for most people.

FYI as of today I have my ECS kit for sale cheap. it worked great the first season even on teh road courses until I went to cobalt friction/carbo tech pads and really started to go fast fast.. and break deep and hard.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:10 PM
cjlaw73
Race Director

HPDE Car Insurance:
Most insurance companies do not cover racing, some do cover HPDE when it’s not timed and there are no winners / losers. Meaning if it’s a “Driver’s Education” event, you might be covered in the beginner groups. *** Assume you are not covered *** Some State Farm policies still cover it to my knowledge like this. You can buy HPDE track insurance at declared value. I saw a 3 day GT3 Porsche destroy the front end on Thunderbolt and get towed away with 253 miles on it. Covered 100% with track insurance. Find out all the conditions though, some do not cover blatant stupidity like running on full slicks in standing water, etc. Know what you buy before you try. A common one used is http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com.

Note when buying track insurance: One event might be $249 for the event, BUT you can do a "10 pack" for a full season sometimes for about $800 - $1100 by car value (this estiamte for a declared value of about 35-40k). It might seem crazy for 250-300 per event, but when you get the price closer to $80 per event... it doesnt sound so crazy does it? A friend in Porsche Club Recently (August 2009) rolled his track 993 with cage 3 times over sideways at Summit in WV. He had a 10 pack deal, and they paid him out. Don;t think the check comes fast or easy though, it takes about 3-6 weeks of wrangling. You can also sometimes buy your own car back as "scrap" for pennies on the dollar! This is great if you take the $$, buy another of the same car... and now can pull all your performance piece upgrades from the damage car to the new car WAY cheaper than buying them all again!
First off, this is an excellent write up!

I second the insurance. I totalled my last Vette at Thunderbolt the 2nd day it was open. I consider myself a pretty decent driver and my instructor had told me after the crash that he was very surpirsed it happened as he thought at no time did I ever lead him to believe I would lose control of the car. Without getting into the details, I'll just say that I fall into the freak accident category at the one place on the track that walls are close by. I was fortunate that my insurance company did pay off the car, but it was a worrisome month awaiting the decision. My case also was reviewed a month after and I was told that if it happened again, not to expect such a rosey outcome. I was also very fortuante to have great people from friends at the track, to a great instructor, to great track officials, etc that helped get through that rough day. Would never want anyone to experience that.

I will be back on the track again soon, after my wife's heartbeat returns to normal, and I will be buying this policy. I'm sure the chances of this happening to someone are less than 1%, but this one percenter is not taking any chances.

I also was very lucky to walk away with nothing more than a 1-inch bruise on my chest from the seatbelt and a minor pain in my knuckle from hitting the windshiled as the air bad deployed. I was very surpised at how well a Vette holds up in a collision. If you had looked in my car, besides the airbags being deployed and the rear view mirror falling off you would have never known it was in an accident. However I know my head took a nice jolt by the size of the chip in my helmet - we still debate whether I hit my a pillar or perhaps the armco. Thus, besides a helmet I strognly suggest getting a hans device:

http://hansdevice.com/site/index.html

Last edited by cjlaw73; 09-28-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:55 PM
rgg16g
Racer

.....The Quantum kit send the air towards the hub area, and seals the air from leaking out. .......
Thanks for the clarification, as I said before, I thought they were all (ESC, LG ect) routing the air to the same place but after your comments and closely examining pictures from all the different manufactures I can see how different the Quantum kit is. The only reason I'm hesitating on the spindle ducts right now is that I'm undecided on the brakes I will use next year. If I go with a BBK like Stoptech then anything I buy now might not function properly on the aftermarket brakes.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rgg16g
Thanks for the clarification, as I said before, I thought they were all (ESC, LG ect) routing the air to the same place but after your comments and closely examining pictures from all the different manufactures I can see how different the Quantum kit is. The only reason I'm hesitating on the spindle ducts right now is that I'm undecided on the brakes I will use next year. If I go with a BBK like Stoptech then anything I buy now might not function properly on the aftermarket brakes.
Aftermarket BBK will not be affected by the quantom kit. it does not mount to the caliper at all. Changing calipers or rotor size makes no difference. the C5 kit is the same as the C6 and C6z kit as well.

Just make sure you get the whole kaboodle and not just the small duct that bolts on.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:15 PM
rgg16g
Racer

Aftermarket BBK will not be affected by the quantom kit. -----.
Typically a BBK with a larger rotor, say 14”, has a larger ID then the original smaller rotors, the ID of the new rotor will be larger than the backing plate from the quantum kit, therefore it won’t seal correctly.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Updated information as of 10/2009. Enjoy my misery in $$ lost to learn what to do & not do all in one easy reference guide. :-)
Old 11-02-2009, 07:20 AM
Ms Eliz
Racer

Old 11-02-2009, 08:33 PM
dbirdz06
Le Mans Master

Wow lots of great advice in here. Thanks everyone!
Old 11-09-2009, 06:53 PM
XFordGuy
Intermediate

Great write up. I've already had to make many of the same choices.

One of my first track failures was a power steering pump bearing. It seems to be more common here in the south. The Z06 PS cooler isn't enough. TurnOne has a great replacement pump.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Track Car \ HPDE Conversion: What I have learned!

Old 12-31-2009, 10:41 AM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Edited after install of the new bushings, ball joints, tie rods ends, and a replaced hub. My thoughts and observatiosn added, as well as a few tweaks in the whole thing after rereading with another season firmly behind me. Enjoy, come back and check in often, and feel free to post your tid bits i may have left out to add to future revisions. merry Xmas & happy new year!
Old 01-03-2010, 01:20 PM
rdwiv
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow! Nice writeup. This is really good info and makes it much easier to find the best mod path for how you want to use your car. Thanks for the time you took to do this
Old 01-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Autobahn93
Advanced

Edited after install of the new bushings, ball joints, tie rods ends, and a replaced hub. My thoughts and observatiosn added, as well as a few tweaks in the whole thing after rereading with another season firmly behind me. Enjoy, come back and check in often, and feel free to post your tid bits i may have left out to add to future revisions. merry Xmas & happy new year!

Thanks a lot for all your useful information. This makes it much easier for me/us and saves a great deal of time

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 Track Car \ HPDE Conversion: What I have learned!