Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 05:51 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C5 Track Car \ HPDE Conversion: What I have learned!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 11:39 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Most fun I can have with my clothes on !
Old 07-14-2014, 12:44 PM
c6hpdeinstructor
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Car for Street, 2011 GS, what we do.

Our Track-Street Set Up with a few notes, alignment, etc....
This has worked pretty well for us over the last 3 years.

2011 GS 1LT
No Engine mods except exhaust, bone stock driveline.
Stock Shocks, Springs & Sway Bars.

Track Wheels & tires:
OZ Ultraleggera Wheels 19x10 front & 20x12 rear
Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, 285 front & 335 rear

Street Wheels & Tires:
Stock wheels with Pilot Sports

Driving-Control-Safety:
Caravaggio Race Seats, driver & passenger on the stock rails
Schroth 5 Point Harnesses, Quick Release Clips
Vettworks Shark Harness Bar
Vettworks 5 Point Sub Belt Bar
Vettworks lap Belt Bar
Vettworks seat belt warning light eliminator
Eite Engineering Heel-Toe Gas Pedal

Pfadt Front Toe Hook
Brey Krause Rear Tow Hook

Brakes:
Cobalt XR1 Single Plate Brake Pads front & rear
LG G2 C6Z Spindle Duct Kit to cool front rotors
Stock Rotors for now, 3rd set. We watch for cracks in the cross holes, and we know the right side rotors are backwards.
Wilwood 600 Plus Brake Fluid

B&B C6 Fusion Exhaust
B&B C6 2.5” X-Pipes

Alignment:
Front Camber -2.2 deg
Front Caster 6.5 deg
Front Toe Total .10 deg, or 0.00 on a smooth track
Rear Camber -1.2 deg
Rear Toe Total .40 deg

Other little stuff we like:
Mid America Skip Shift Eliminator
Apsis Front Splash Guards, for track rash on the rear quarter panels
Speed Lingerie Nose & Mirror Bras for nose track rash
Mid America Door Seal Guards cause they work

One concern:
We noticed panel to panel paint chipping on our rear hatch on the right front corner. Keep the rear Hatch Hinges tight. The rear hatch is heavy and the hatch hinge bolts can loosen and the hatch can slip around during repeated high G's. There is a Hatch Hinge Recall for some 2011-12 models. We took the car to the dealer and they are addressing under the Bumper to Bumper Warranty
Old 09-11-2014, 04:57 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Update: Added New Information on the Corvette NCM Track Insurance Program that just opened up. Check it out.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:40 PM
flash911
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Zenak thanks to you and others for this thread. I'm a new c5z owner and will be prepping my car for HPDE / track days. The car is a great platform for fun and I've decided to start with cooling, safety and some delrin bushings.

I'm sure it'll be a bottomless pit, and I'll be Mclovin' every minute of it. I'll start a little mod thread once the car and parts arrive.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:44 AM
dharmadan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dr. Zenak,

Thank you so much! Am another newb, so after a brief intro (2.5 hrs at Nelson Ledges) came here and found your thread, full of gold!

(BTW, am 8 miles to PittRace[BeaveRun], any CF'ers coming here, got a spare bedroom and plenty of floor space.)

Thanks again!
Old 07-06-2015, 11:31 AM
bradsvette57
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

That was the mother of all posts. My wife has suggested to me to write a book for beginning HPDE guys or beginning racers, but your post usurped my effort. Whew, now I don't have to do it.

I got hooked even harder and quickly went into SCCA racing. 15 years later, I'm out. But I do miss it. Great write up, but if I could make one minor suggestion... Make some of the very long paragraphs a bit shorter. That is, if you intend to take your treatise to the next level, which is not a bad idea. PS. I totally agree that "Going Faster" by Lopez, is the best read on road-racing out there. I've read it 6 times.

So, thanks for the Herculean effort. Great post. My car prep recommendation for the brand new Corvette track guy would be, in order: harness bar and 5/6 point belts; racing brake fluid; and Hawk HP- Plus pads.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:44 AM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks
Yeah some of it is long, because it was added and re added and edited and and. I'm too lazy to go back and re-edit it all now down. I mostly still just add as I see new stuff here and there in threads. As I have been off the circuit for a little bit, my knowledge of "new stuff" is also a bit limited, but the community emails me from time to time with suggestions to add. It was a nice group effort!

Originally Posted by bradsvette57
That was the mother of all posts. My wife has suggested to me to write a book for beginning HPDE guys or beginning racers, but your post usurped my effort. Whew, now I don't have to do it.

I got hooked even harder and quickly went into SCCA racing. 15 years later, I'm out. But I do miss it. Great write up, but if I could make one minor suggestion... Make some of the very long paragraphs a bit shorter. That is, if you intend to take your treatise to the next level, which is not a bad idea. PS. I totally agree that "Going Faster" by Lopez, is the best read on road-racing out there. I've read it 6 times.

So, thanks for the Herculean effort. Great post. My car prep recommendation for the brand new Corvette track guy would be, in order: harness bar and 5/6 point belts; racing brake fluid; and Hawk HP- Plus pads.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:02 AM
touring2
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default hpde conversion, trans temp sensor

Just found this excellent "bumper to bumper" post on HPDE mods. I put a trans cooler on first year I had the car(2001 Z06) and just zip tied the trans temp sensor to a nearby hole. therefore, no trans temps. anybody remount the trans temp sensor after installng a trans cooler? answer here, or pm bobz28@msn.com (homage to first showroom stock racecar I owned). Thanks, fellas.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:52 AM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

s'scribed
Old 01-03-2016, 12:04 PM
99bluebird
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow great info! Just got my first C5 and will be going to HPR and PPIR here in Colorado, I am sure you saved me money and time! Thanks again!
Old 01-03-2016, 07:12 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by touring2
Just found this excellent "bumper to bumper" post on HPDE mods. I put a trans cooler on first year I had the car(2001 Z06) and just zip tied the trans temp sensor to a nearby hole. therefore, no trans temps. anybody remount the trans temp sensor after installng a trans cooler? answer here, or pm bobz28@msn.com (homage to first showroom stock racecar I owned). Thanks, fellas.
Not sure if you had a previous post so just commenting on this one. The factory trans temp sensor in C5Z would best be described as a warning light IMO. It only displays trans temp when you have reached the "caution/cool it down" zone. Once it reaches ~300* your car will go into decreased power mode to save your parts.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:24 PM
danh52
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Great information here!

I just purchased a 2002 Z06 that was setup by the PO for HPDE track days. One item he didn't address is the stock seat, other than using sport seats for the shoulder harness opening. Since I still will drive it on the road, I want a seat that will work for both street and track. What is a good compromise seat that will fit in the C5 and work with a 6' tall 220lb driver? I also want to be able to use a 6 point harness so should have a sub belt slot.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:35 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by danh52
Great information here!

I just purchased a 2002 Z06 that was setup by the PO for HPDE track days. One item he didn't address is the stock seat, other than using sport seats for the shoulder harness opening. Since I still will drive it on the road, I want a seat that will work for both street and track. What is a good compromise seat that will fit in the C5 and work with a 6' tall 220lb driver? I also want to be able to use a 6 point harness so should have a sub belt slot.

these over size race seats look good

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-classifieds/3811334-omp-champ-r-seats.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...p-r-seats.html
Old 04-20-2016, 06:59 PM
my fives
Heel & Toe

I look for hours then it turn to days, after all the cost and the loss of seat features and air bag to buy after market I spent 650.00 to get my c6-z06 seat custom fitted to me with slots for shoulder and seat and additional support on sides around chest and also in the side of the seat. works great I am in Chicago and took it to a upholstery place and work great
Old 04-20-2016, 07:13 PM
oviz06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by my fives
I look for hours then it turn to days, after all the cost and the loss of seat features and air bag to buy after market I spent 650.00 to get my c6-z06 seat custom fitted to me with slots for shoulder and seat and additional support on sides around chest and also in the side of the seat. works great I am in Chicago and took it to a upholstery place and work great
Could I ask you for some pics? I would like to do the same thing. Doing track days with my C6Z06Z07 is very tiring even though the seat is not bad but with a 5-6 point harness it keeps my body in place so I can focus on just driving.
Thank you!
Old 04-20-2016, 07:44 PM
my fives
Heel & Toe

I will send pictures tomorrow they are on different computer
Old 04-21-2016, 07:48 AM
my fives
Heel & Toe

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Track Car \ HPDE Conversion: What I have learned!

Old 04-21-2016, 07:59 AM
my fives
Heel & Toe

You need to move 2 control boxes under the seat a few inches for the sub belt and move the cable for the seat back lever no big deal which i did. I made 3 trips to get the seat fitted as they were making it the only thing I would change is to measure the outside of the bottom seat(outside of seat) before any work is done the reason is as you test fit the seat it will fold out but if you have the outside dimensions and hold that as you sit in the seat you will have a better outcome, my seat is a real tight to my butt because after they put the leather back on it pulled the seat back together and made it tighter than expected. after a couple of races I will pull the seat out and trim some foam
Old 08-20-2016, 06:50 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by my fives

No way I'd run that seat
Old 08-20-2016, 06:53 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

I think the very first thing you should do to a C5 before you even attempt to track it is remove and clean the radiator.

These cars are old enough now and have been driven enough that I bet 75% of them need the radiator pulled and cleaned as general maintenance.

Then you should keep it blown out as maintenance.

Quick Reply: C5 Track Car \ HPDE Conversion: What I have learned!