Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Katech Z vs Porsche Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Default Katech Z vs Porsche Turbo S

So I was at Homestead track near Miami yesterday w my Katech Z and I saw a Yellow Porsche Turbo S in my mirror and I turned the wick up a bit to see what was up. I was killing him on the straights & in the bowl but his carbon ceramic brakes were even better than my 15" Brembos. So he could reel me in a bit in braking zones

I let him pass so I could study his lines and he was much slower than me on the back straight and the bowl. I passed him again after 2 laps and uleashed the beast on the back straight & the bowl and the yellow Porsche started dissappearing in my mirror

It was fun, fastest late model road Porsche I've come across

Whats the diff between the Porsche Turbo, Turbo S, and GT2 ?
Old 10-18-2009, 12:17 PM
songman3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Turbo S was a development of the standard Turbo giving about 30BHP more than the standard car - around 450 bhp.
Present GT2 gives about 530 bhp.
Trouble is that with FI cars you never really know what output they are running because they are very often easily 'tuned' to give more boost - the Turbo S could make around 500 bhp without much effort.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Turbo 997: 3.6L 470hp TT (all wheel drive)
997 GT2: 3.6L 523hp TT (rear wheel drive)

997.2 (2009+ model years)
turbo 997: 3.8L 493hp TT (all wheel drive)
997.2 GT2: n/a

There is no such thing as a Turbo S (It does not exist in the 911; 997 model lineup). However, there are rumors there may be one in the future.

http://www.bushautoblog.com/2009/08/...ming-next.html

Last edited by Z06_BluByU; 10-18-2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: add link and info about turbo s
Old 10-18-2009, 01:27 PM
songman3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/to...11-Turbo-S.htm
Old 10-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

I've gotten my speed up around 120mph in the bowl, taking it up in 2 or 5 mph increments.

Working on taking the bowl flat out in 4th which is near 130 but then I'll have to shift into fifth somewhere, preferably before middle of bowl

Its a rush
Old 10-18-2009, 02:13 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mjolitor,
I answered your PM but your box is full, you may give me a call if you wish.

Thanks
Rick
801-829-4997

P.S. on certain corners I have passed which must of been poorly driven Turbo Porsches on the track in my Scion tC Time Attack car and in my ex very highly modified Forester XT. (on high speed corners where traction is not a big issue coming out of them the tC is very quick but up for sale. if I finished the turbo/engine build I am nearly done with well over 500WHP, fat tires, major areo upgrades, etc....)
Old 10-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

I cleaned out my mailbox

This Porsche driver was pretty good, He was keeping me honest w my driving
Old 10-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

from that link

(from Porsche Press Release) The new Porsche 911 Turbo S builds on the awe-inspiring attributes of the 911 Turbo, and takes the driving experience to a new, higher level. The Turbo S, which is available both as a Coupe and Convertible, is based on the current 996 generation 911 Turbo and will join the broadest ever range of 911 models when it goes on sale in August.

that is an old press release which is referring to the 911 (996 generation).... There is no 997 911 Turbo S..

..yet

Originally Posted by Z06_BluByU

There is no such thing as a Turbo S (It does not exist in the 911; 997 model lineup). However, there are rumors there may be one in the future.

http://www.bushautoblog.com/2009/08/...ming-next.html

Last edited by Z06_BluByU; 10-18-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:57 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

Mjolitor 68-Do you know what your lap times were?? I tried to get out with you, but by the time I got out of my students car and into mine it was to late. I really wanted to check you lines thru the bowl, this was the first time running the bowl. LOVE your car. It looks great!! JD

Last edited by JDIllon; 10-19-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:46 AM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

@ pocono i have been up against a 997 turbe with exhaust mods, and some other minor mods with a tune claiming 505rwhp. I ate him up in the curves. coming off turn 5 into the bowl on the nascar straight... as we decended off the wall into the infield i would see his turbo exhaust flash on his shifts and then he pulled away like i was stanidng still. get a goot 200 yrs or more by the entry of turn 1. then i would chase him down on his bumper by turn 5 and then it would start again. Frustrating as hell... nice wide body car. I love em in charcoal gray :-P I runw ith the PCA so i see lots of porsches.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Mjolitor 68-Do you know what your lap times were?? I tried to get out with you, but by the time I got out of my students car and into mine it was to late. I really wanted to check you lines thru the bowl, this was the first time running the bowl. LOVE your car. It looks great!! JD
I wasn't really pusing it but my mechanic reported a 1:22, I was mostly concetrating on pushing up my speed on the bowl, the rest of the track is relatively boring.

I was watching the Indy & Rolex guys last week and I was copying their lines. Some of them were down very low, almost on the apron and some others were 1 lane up from that. Nobody went higher than that.

On exit I glance at the right wall, there are 3 long sections w slightly different shades of light green. I think I was finishing my track out at the begining of the 3rd section

Last time I was seeing 120 in the bowl, I want to take my entry up just over 130 which is my max speed on the back straight. This will require me to shift into 5th somewhere.

I'm taking it easy just going up 2-5 mph each time

That bowl is addictive
Old 10-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Good going...it's always fun to 'harrass' a Porsche on the track. I run with a variety of Porsche's and Lord knows they range from stock to extremely fast, 'full-race modified' models. I've never had any interest in owning one but I definitely respect their capabilities.

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
I've gotten my speed up around 120mph in the bowl, taking it up in 2 or 5 mph increments.

Working on taking the bowl flat out in 4th which is near 130 but then I'll have to shift into fifth somewhere, preferably before middle of bowl

Its a rush
Unless I'm missing something (which isn't unusual) why would you need to shift into 5th gear for only 130 mph? Flat out in 4th should be in the neighborhood of 150. I'm not familiar with the track but even if speeds higher than 130 are possible once you're through the bowl I would think you'd want to be in 4th gear through the bowl and then accelerate out until you approached red line in 4th.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:14 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

I wasn't really pusing it but my mechanic reported a 1:22, I was mostly concetrating on pushing up my speed on the bowl, the rest of the track is relatively boring.

I was watching the Indy & Rolex guys last week and I was copying their lines. Some of them were down very low, almost on the apron and some others were 1 lane up from that. Nobody went higher than that.

On exit I glance at the right wall, there are 3 long sections w slightly different shades of light green. I think I was finishing my track out at the begining of the 3rd section

Last time I was seeing 120 in the bowl, I want to take my entry up just over 130 which is my max speed on the back straight. This will require me to shift into 5th somewhere.

I'm taking it easy just going up 2-5 mph each time

That bowl is addictive
I would like to get out and run with you sometime. I was entering the bowl about 130, speed dropped to about 115 at the middle and I was down to the bottom just above the apron and then my exit speed was about 125. The car felt pretty stable but I'm running on Michelin Cups with quite a bit of time on them and the car wanted to keep pushing up coming out and I didn't want to push it any more than that. I'm sure you wing, splitter and hood help quite a bit in the bowl also. Hope to see you at the next event. JD

Last edited by JDIllon; 10-19-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

I see just over 130 down the back straight, enter the bowl around 120 and maintain that all the way through and exit at 135 and max at near 150 on the front straight

My Z has lowered gears for better acceleration which is probably why I top out in 4th closer to 140
Old 10-24-2009, 07:48 AM
CPG1962
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10
Default I will see!

I will be running my 725HP Z and my 997TT with 550 RWHP and 555 FT# very soon at the track. It will be interesting to see which one of my cars is the winner (for me).

I am a newbie in RR and will be going out to Bondurant some time in the next few months to pick up some pointers at their 4 day Grand Prix package.

I run Sports Cups on the Z with deep sump pump, many external coolers, adj coilovers, 3.73 gears, and Pfadt sways. The P car has just been upgraded (obviously) and is AWD. I have also added alot of carbon fiber and should see some good weight drops. I wonder how the AWD will run on a RR course?

I hope to see you there (in Homestead). I have been working towards RR for about a year now, read books, and just about ready. I have not worked out all the tire issues quite yet but still have my stock Z wheel I can add the right tires to.

The P car has Pirelli Pzero Corsas as std.

I am not out to win quite yet, just drive and learn along with the course I will be taking.

I have even considered making the Z a strictly track car. I am not sure yet. Just depends on how things work out.

I also have a 2010 CTSV that MAY be fun to run a few laps - I also have a small 6x8 trailer to pull a compressor, generator, wheel sets, and tools.

I am about 15 miles from PBIR so probably start there and then start hitting some of the other courses as time progresses.

I am really pumped about the whole thing and cant wait to get started.

Any suggestions out there? Sorry for "interupting" the thread but as you are in Miami I figured another FLA guy wouldnt mind.

Last edited by CPG1962; 10-24-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:13 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CPG1962
Any suggestions out there? Sorry for "interupting" the thread but as you are in Miami I figured another FLA guy wouldnt mind.
I would suggest you make it out to various track days at PBIR, Sebring and Homestead with or without your car and just talk to as many people as possible. Most guys will be happy to give you a lot of good information. This way you will know what to expect the first day you bring your car on the track.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:26 AM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

but his carbon ceramic brakes were even better than my 15" Brembos. So he could reel me in a bit in braking zones
What pads are you running?

Get notified of new replies

To Katech Z vs Porsche Turbo S

Old 10-25-2009, 12:23 PM
CPG1962
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10
Default Good Idea

Originally Posted by mcar00
I would suggest you make it out to various track days at PBIR, Sebring and Homestead with or without your car and just talk to as many people as possible. Most guys will be happy to give you a lot of good information. This way you will know what to expect the first day you bring your car on the track.
I will make it a point. Very good advice.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dreamin
What pads are you running?
Porterfield race pads but I wasn't really focusing too much on the braking zones
Old 10-25-2009, 01:07 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Originally Posted by CPG1962
I will be running my 725HP Z and my 997TT with 550 RWHP and 555 FT# very soon at the track. It will be interesting to see which one of my cars is the winner (for me).

I am a newbie in RR

How did you get 750hp out of a Z ? Thats pretty impressive.

I'd suggest you polish your skills w the Porsche as it has a bigger safety net than the Z. The P will probably understeer somewhat bcus of the AWD but should do well on the straights.

Heres a tip, buy at least 1 extra set of race wheels and slicks and lots of race pads. My Z gobbles up a set of front pads in 3 days & slicks in maybe 6 track days

Homestead is a pretty safe track but there are 2 spots to be careful on. The start of the back straight can be slippery, I saw a new M3 spin left into the wall there.

Also since you'll probably be on the full road course, the fast sweeper at end of back straight has a bump at the apex. I saw a few cars hit the left wall there. Everytime I go into that corner I tell myself if anything goes bad steer RIGHT. Theres a huge field to the right, worst you can do is get some grass stuck between your rim & tire, Much better than totalling your car on the left

Look for me at Homestead, I almost never miss a date there and I can give you some more pointers at the track

Quick Reply: Katech Z vs Porsche Turbo S