Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doubleclutch help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 03:52 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Doubleclutch help?

I have no trouble heel and toeing my 63 on track, as the pedel positions are perfect for me. However, I CAN'T seem to heel and toe my C5 Z06 at all??? I just can't seem to get my right foot onto both pedels at once, no matter how I try?? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Old 10-18-2009, 04:29 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Funny you say that... I can heel-toe my C5Z all day and have a horrible time doing it in the C4.

I know there are a bunch of different ways to do it, but in the C5, the easiest way for me is to actually use the left side of my foot on the brake and the right on the gas with my foot a lot more straight up and down than most people seem to do. More of a "side-side" as opposed to a "heel-toe" I guess.

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 10-18-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:46 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stretching exercises lol...

or get one of those pedal kits that extend your gas pedal out a bit to the left for heel-toe. I'm a size 9.5 and heel toe my C6 all day (I assume it's pretty similar in a C5). Harder on the street though since I'm not as deep into the brakes.

now as for double-clutching... I don't bother at the track, but I'll do it on the street just to down shift.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:54 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everybody's physiology is different. I have long legs but like to have the seat forward. I found I had to position my right knee close to/touching the steering column so I could roll the edge of my foot onto the throttle. It felt really awkward at first but I finally got used to it. If you can't find a position to do heel-toe with the stock pedals there are some aftermarket pedals available.

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/C5_Pedals.html

btw, Garrett, I think you got some TV time on Speed's Monterey Historics broadcast. They did a short segment on Craig Jackson racing his family's GT350. They had a couple of brief on-track shots and I think it showed you chasing him

Last edited by joemoia; 10-18-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:06 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Fortunately I came from being a 2002 Camaro where the pedal setup is terrible compared to the C5, so I squeak by

but really, I have found foot placement to be key in getting it right. Each car I have driven I've needed to find a correct positioning, it's never the same and can often be uncomfortable at first, but you get used to it. Take it slow at first and think your way through it (ie, "okay, heel in this position, ball of foot on pedal, okay break/blip..). Sounds dumb, but it helps. The more you try to rush it, the more mistakes you can make
Old 10-18-2009, 08:14 PM
71corv
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I use the same foot position as redls1gto. Have the "Elite Engr." wide gas pedal and that helps.

Gene
Old 10-18-2009, 08:28 PM
jaybar
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

First of all I think it helps to wear a size 11 shoe. My style is to put the center of my foot on the right edge of the brake and kind of roll my foot to the right, so the side of my shoe makes contact with the gas for a quick "blip"

It is a skill you just can't practice on the road, well at least I can't. I have to be pressing very hard on the brake so my foot will stay in place when I "roll" my shoe to the right.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:37 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

"btw, Garrett, I think you got some TV time on Speed's Monterey Historics broadcast. They did a short segment on Craig Jackson racing his family's GT350. They had a couple of brief on-track shots and I think it showed you chasing him" Yep, Thanks Joe

I should have clarified my predicament. I doubleclutch on the street, but don't heel and toe. My 2004 Z06 has Stoptech brakes. The pedel doesn't move!!! (at all). When you touch the pedel the car stops!!! The pedel doesn's sink AT ALL! Therefore when I hit the brakes on track, my size 9.5 foot isn't close to, or in the same plane as my throttle pedel. Feels like about 2" difference in plane. So far (I've only tracked it once) I seem to run down to a shutoff marker, hit the brakes, the car STOPS.....and I'm still far from my turn-in point, can't find the throttle to blip it, so downshift and accelerate to my turn-in point. I don't think this is the fastest method thru the corner
On my 63 the two pedels are almost exactly parallel under track braking conditions, so it's a simple task to "roll" my right foot over and blip the throttle with the right side of my right foot. That seems to be impossible with the 04?
Old 10-19-2009, 02:12 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a video out there on you tube. If you'll just search the videos for "wtknght1" you'll see it.

I modified my brake pedal with just a simple piece of steel that raised it up about .5 inches or so and made it a bit wider...since I have narrow feet.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:17 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Thanks Chris. That sounds like what I need, although for me, it's my throttle pedel which is low and the brake is higher.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:20 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Thanks Chris. That sounds like what I need, although for me, it's my throttle pedel which is low and the brake is higher.
You're not braking hard enough...push harder!!
Old 10-19-2009, 04:37 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Thanks Chris. I run street tires, but with the BBK I have lots more brake than tire, so if I push harder, the wheels stop turnin
My wife says that I can only buy race tires for one car at a time.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:17 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Then unless you have some weird new gas pedal design, you have an ankle flexibility issue. Even with the brake pedal all the way up, I can still roll my ankle over enough to blip the throttle. Practice, practice, practice!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Doubleclutch help?

Quick Reply: Doubleclutch help?