Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jolly Good Time at VIR

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:16 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Jolly Good Time at VIR

The gray skies,with just enough rain/mist to keep it interesting, combined with a damp bone chilling cold made the paddock at VIR seem like the ramp at RAF Upper Heyford (and the paddock at Silverstone) in jolly old England. The weather was never really "awful" but it never made it to the really "nice" phase either. Just like living in the UK where events, despite the weather, go on the SCMC put on a great event with quite a few folks making getting on track. I saw tags from as far as Canada (snowbird?), Michigan, New York, Florida, Alaska and South Dakota - none from the UK though. As always, there was a strong contingent of the track faithful.

The trip up on Friday was uneventful with absolutely no drama. The amazing part is the car, trailer and truck were ready to go on Friday well before the scheduled departure time. This feat, rare as it is, was even more impressive since I was in New Mexico for most of the week. Loading all the "stuff" a week ahead of time does make the actual departure a bit boring. Having been nine long weeks since the last track event the motivational level was a little higher then normal. After a flawless enroute rejoin with Toby in Charlotte we made it to VIR before 1800. Unloading and check in was truly painless thanks to Hazman and the SCMC staff. At that point we had several hours to kill until Khoi, who did not preload/preplan anything, made it to Danville. The Oak Tree Tavern made for a convenient location to socialize, eat dinner and wait on Khoi. At the Oak Tree the atmosphere is excellent, the service is very good and the food is OK.

Jean-Claude, now residing in Baltimore, came down in his Porsche. He checked into the hotel at ~0230 and made the drivers meeting at ~0730. You would think he was training for One Lap of America but instead it seems the normal lifestyle of Orthopaedic Trauma Surgeons, personally, I think it is the Army influence. On track he instantly realized VIR was complex, long and one great track. His progression was excellent, especially after a little more sleep on Saturday night, throughout the event. His decision making process was flawless all weekend and with a highly capable car that is a vital skill. He kept control of the car and picked the best path for recovery when it was needed. A couple of times it was the unpaved track surface but it was always the best decision at that point. At this event he focused on rotating the car and braking. Now if we can pry him away from work so it is not 6 months between events his continuity will be a little better! My other two students over the weekend were in a 1996 LT4 Vette (lost his clutch in the first session - bummer) and a Ford GT. The Ford GT is an amazing car with the ability, like many modern sports cars, to cover up a lot of mistakes and bad habits. Whoever told him not to brake at Turn 10 is a much, much braver soul then I (or was not actually in the car with him). While the speed he was actually driving, initially, did not require it the habit is very important as speeds increase - at least with me in the cheap seat. He took instruction well and had fun in the car, which is always the objective.

The FRC made its first track event since loosing the hub at Roebling in August. The new ATI damper/balancer worked out great. It was flogged mercilessly all weekend. Sending your youngest out in a 400 HP car with old RA1s on a wet track is not for the faint of heart. Watching it slide nicely through T1-T4 made the team principal (and Dad) more at ease but I did not witness the off at T10 in the session. Apparently it was impressive, he took it off instead of trying to "save it" so other then a little mud there were not any issues. Now he has a much better understanding of driving in the wet. Actually, Josh is now at the limit of where I will ride with him, not because he is unsafe, he is just too fast for me in the cheap seat. I did get in a couple of good sessions and made it out once with Jason and Khoi for a little lead/follow. Running with your buddies is always the best, especially if the cars are about equal or you slow down for EvoCool. It is not a race but you sure push it to stay glued to the bumper with the attitude of "if Jason/Khoi/Toby/Rick/Tim can make it then I "know" I can. It is vital to point out sometimes this is not exactly true but that thought is buried under a lot of "red mist". I did have a distraction in the car with constant reminders of "old tires" and "backing plates" as I was praying for traction at the edge of the track. Josh is braver then I cause I would not have ridden with me. Afterwards I asked him if I scared him and he countered with "was I scared" - I am not sure he wanted the real answer to that....

Getting home we hit a real snag in Charlotte (60 minutes to make 4 miles) due to a car fire but made it home. CMP in three weeks with NASA-SE - need to get some cars ready (and loaded).
Old 10-20-2009, 08:20 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Was great seeing you guys after a long "off season". VIR is a great track and am really looking forward to going back there next year, often. Was really fun to be able to go out and just "play" for the full 20-25min sessions without really giving a damn if the lap was blown by screwing up or catching traffic.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Hazman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to see everyone again!

If I could just get this car to survive an entire event it would be good. Oh well out at the track with friends is anyway! Next time I may bring the Focus so I can at least go out and run with Khoi if nothing else Now to get ready for Barber Nov 14-15 and then RR Nov 21-22
Old 10-20-2009, 09:07 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Nice write up as always, thanks for sharing. Can't wait to make it to VIR
Old 10-20-2009, 09:44 PM
no spin
Instructor

Originally Posted by varkwso
Getting home we hit a real snag in Charlotte (60 minutes to make 4 miles) due to a car fire but made it home.
Glad we went north.

The cold weather was a nice break from the 90 + degree heat we have been having althought a few degrees warmer on Sunday would have been nice. Still alot of fun and nice to see everyone. Sorry I missed you and Josh when you left.

I would like to put this event on next years schedule.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hazman
Next time I may bring the Focus so I can at least go out and run with Khoi if nothing else
I know I passed somebody that weekend...I think??? Don't think I did too shabby seeing how it was pulling timing the whole session. I was also surprised you "only" gave me two students Ed and Ronnie were great! Had a great time. See you next time...

Last edited by Z06cool; 10-20-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:27 AM
OZ51
Instructor

Agree...great weekend. Jason rode with me for orientation laps. My instructor Khoi quickly assessed my skill level and his corrections were spot on. SCMC is a good group to run with... manageable group sizes, no delays in schedule, focus on track time/fun/safety, no BS, etc... My buddy Steve captured an entire run on video (man, the cam doesn't lie!) so I could reconcile my seat of the pants with reality. Definitely in for next year. Only regret is the 13 hour ride from Boston. Good to put some faces to screen names and check out the variety of vettes and chat with other vette guys.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:15 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jason
.... Was really fun to be able to go out and just "play" for the full 20-25min sessions without really giving a damn if the lap was blown by screwing up or catching traffic.
It was great running in trains (the express of course) and watching EvoCool lift up the right rear wheel as he hammered it around the corners. I did notice his driving is much better when the "red mist" was in full effect. Seems the timing being pulled does not happen when the car is as hot as a pistol.

I am also glad thre is no video of my deep entry into T1

Originally Posted by No Spin
.... Glad we went north. .

It was great hanging with you guys - it was a pleasure as always.

Originally Posted by OZ51
.... My instructor Khoi quickly assessed my skill level and his corrections were spot on. . .
Glad his students were able to make him look so good.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:25 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I am also glad thre is no video of my deep entry into T1
brake late or run out of brake? I thought the XP10's were just a little weak at the very end there standing it on the nose. Traqmate says 145 down to 43, so 102 mph worth of "scrub". That's a lot of heat

Glad his students were able to make him look so good.
hey I used a few moves my student showed me during the NASA weekend, I'll learn from anybody

Last edited by drivinhard; 10-21-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:47 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

It was definitely a good time, a well run event and it was good to finally put a face to some of these names.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by drivinhard
brake late or run out of brake? I thought the XP10's were just a little weak at the very end there standing it on the nose.
I definitely ran out of brakes at the end of the day sunday on 10's, but they're getting pretty thin. I think they've been on since Mid-O. If I was running a 20-30min race, I think I'd move up a heat range, but for our normal TT 3-4 laps they seem fine. And my rotor life has improved phenomenally.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by no spin
Glad we went north.

The cold weather was a nice break from the 90 + degree heat we have been having althought a few degrees warmer on Sunday would have been nice. Still alot of fun and nice to see everyone. Sorry I missed you and Josh when you left.

I would like to put this event on next years schedule.

Tom, good to see you and Susan again. Let me know if you have any questions about trailering that I may be able to answer for you as I know that thought has crossed your mind.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:59 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by drivinhard
brake late or run out of brake? I thought the XP10's were just a little weak at the very end there standing it on the nose. Traqmate says 145 down to 43, so 102 mph worth of "scrub". That's a lot of heat

hey I used a few moves my student showed me during the NASA weekend, I'll learn from anybody
I was doing a whole lot braking - I was just not doing a whole lot of slowing down. I was using the "cross control" method to get the car around the corner. Old tires and brakes at the backing plate (again)

I have learned from many students over the years. Running hard with each other has also taught me more about "applied physics".

Khoi is a like a bumblebee - there is no reason for him to be that fast...
Old 10-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

I have learned from many students over the years. Running hard with each other has also taught me more about "applied physics".

Holy CRAP!! Is that a compliment -- doesn't matter I'll take that as such...
Old 10-21-2009, 07:04 PM
RonnieM
Instructor

That must be the reason he kept telling me more speed. Khoi was a great instuctor. I just hate I had to bale Sunday, the wife got food poison Saturday night. I was really looking forward to turn 1 thru 3 to see if I could get them right.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:07 PM
no spin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z06cool
Tom, good to see you and Susan again. Let me know if you have any questions about trailering that I may be able to answer for you as I know that thought has crossed your mind.

Thanks Khoi, I will do that.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by RonnieM
That must be the reason he kept telling me more speed. Khoi was a great instuctor. I just hate I had to bale Sunday, the wife got food poison Saturday night. I was really looking forward to turn 1 thru 3 to see if I could get them right.
I hated it that I didn't have a reliable car to "show" you more than just "tell" you the pros and cons of one line versus another. It was great fun riding with you... I definitely miss big V8 torque...

Get notified of new replies

To Jolly Good Time at VIR

Old 10-22-2009, 06:54 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RonnieM
When he tells you to "don't be a wimp - bang the rev limiter" that will be when Khoi has made it to the top tier of instruction...it is reserved for very special students.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

When he tells you to "don't be a wimp - bang the rev limiter" that will be when Khoi has made it to the top tier of instruction...it is reserved for very special students.
Wasn't it more like "don't be a P*SSY -..."
Old 10-22-2009, 03:20 PM
RonnieM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z06cool
Wasn't it more like "don't be a P*SSY -..."
That's the words I seem to remember hearing.

Quick Reply: Jolly Good Time at VIR