Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking Wilwood SL6s (LG GStop)????

Old 10-20-2009, 08:25 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Leaking Wilwood SL6s (LG GStop)????

Hey all,

Recently my passenger side Wilwood SL6 (LG GStop kit) caliper started leaking badly. It was leaking both at one of the cross-over tube fittings (inboard side) and from a plug on the inside face of the caliper. I assumed all of these are assembled by Wilwood and wouldn't need checked at instillation... obviously not. Has anybody else had these issues?

I was worried about over-tightening them, how tights is "too tight."

-TJ
Old 10-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Z06 Bob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leaking LG / Wilwood Calipers

I had both leaking at the same time with very few miles on them. The leaks were from what I assume is a drain plug on the inside bottom of the caliper. It's an allen screw that I just tightened up. It hasn't loosened since and it's been 2 years. I noticed fluid on the inside of the wheel it after bleeding brakes and putting the car on the trailer. That small leak caused the pedal to sink to the floor. Funny thing is that while bleeding I didn't notice it. Could have been disasterous at the track. I always check for leaks now.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Rob's 73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06 Bob
I had both leaking at the same time with very few miles on them. The leaks were from what I assume is a drain plug on the inside bottom of the caliper. It's an allen screw that I just tightened up. It hasn't loosened since and it's been 2 years. I noticed fluid on the inside of the wheel it after bleeding brakes and putting the car on the trailer. That small leak caused the pedal to sink to the floor. Funny thing is that while bleeding I didn't notice it. Could have been disasterous at the track. I always check for leaks now.
Mine leaked from the bottom plug. I tightened it an it has been fine for about 2 months.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:31 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

mine has been leaking since I bought it, no amount of tightening fixed the problem, eventually I found that the crossover tube fitting has been damaged, going through the process of replacing the caliper now
Old 10-20-2009, 10:33 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I also had a similar problem running the first event with my G-Stop Kit. The left cross over tube was not tightened down enough and leaked. A half turn was all it took to make it stop. The right caliper had one of the side plugs loose and it leaked also. Neither showed up during a weeks street driving prior to the event or in the first run group. Both problems happened second run group after several heat / cool cycles.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:58 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep. Initially leaked first track day. Tightened and all is fine.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:35 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Same here! Plugs on the back side loose. Funny how many people have experienced the problem considering when I called about the leaks 3 weeks ago I was told by wilwood that I needed to send them pictures before they could make any adjustments. Also, I called LG where I bought them and was lectured on how wilwood has 5 step inspections that almost certainly rules out any in house problem. Customer service sucks with Wilwood doesn't it?? Why didn't the rep with whom I spoke offer any possible fixes considering it is a definite problem area?? Live and learn I guess....
Old 10-21-2009, 07:17 AM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I have an eight year old stock braking system that does not leak. And yes the car is tracked regularly.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:32 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Wilwood Leaking...Customer Service

A couple of thoughts...
When ever you get new products it's a good idea to check all your fittings and and "put a wrench on them" prior to install. After your "run-in" re inspect and put a wrench on all your bolts... On our Caddy project this year, we found the front calipers had to be re-torqued ever 1.5 hours of run time... Brembo/OEM's...

With respect to Wilwood customer service and or tech problems... do not hesitate to contact us. If we do not have the answer, I'm certain we can secure the answer...

Paul Lesinski
Van Steel
paul.vansteel@yahoo.com
800-418-5397
Old 10-21-2009, 10:25 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

The "back side" plugs are there as a courtesy to the customer only. The calipers used are dual inlet for specific mounting applications where the more common center inlet is not produced on this body. They won't come pre-tightened as the consumer needs to identify which inlet they plan to or need to use. Because only one inlet is used the other should be teflon taped and tightened.

As for the crossover lines it's not as uncommon to find one requiring a bit of tightening is needed,so be it. The bigger issue is the required grinding of a wrench to fit them.....more time than tightening!
Old 10-21-2009, 10:38 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Those 'courtesy' plugs have thread sealant on them. When I see sealant I am hesitant to retorque and violate the original seal. However, from now on, any Wilwood product will be retorqued in all aspects notwithstanding their outstanding "5 point inspection"! And yes, I do resent the lack of customer service when I contacted LG and Wilwood! Having been in a family retail furniture business for more than 50 years, I know the value of service and I don't beg anyone to take my money. I go where it is appreciated.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:46 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Old 10-21-2009, 11:49 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Hi guys,

I was just informed of a issue with a cross overline myself just this week. Since I have been here this is the first issue I have seen from a Wilwood caliper, on our kit or their kit. If something has gone on, I did not know about it until this week.

Now, as a side note, any brake kit that has an external cross over tube should have this inspected on a regular basis if you are a track regular. Overtime, the heat and vibrations that come from the abuse of running the car on the track can cause this line to become brittle and possibly crack, so care should be taken on these lines. Also make sure people are not hitting the line with the wheels as they come on and off as it can get hit.

If anyone has an issue with their G-Stop, Wilwood, or any brake kit for that matter, let me know and I'll help as best as I can.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:41 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ipuig
I have an eight year old stock braking system that does not leak. And yes the car is tracked regularly.
Cool story Hansel.

Anyway, thanks for the input everybody else. It looks like I'm not alone! The car is down for a few other things (full dry-sump 427) so a thorough brake inspection/tighten will be on the list.

-TJ
Old 10-21-2009, 06:18 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

must be gentle tracking it.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:40 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by tjZ06
Cool story Hansel.

Anyway, thanks for the input everybody else. It looks like I'm not alone! The car is down for a few other things (full dry-sump 427) so a thorough brake inspection/tighten will be on the list.

-TJ
I better check my fittings next time I swap wheels for the track. Dry sump 427 .
Old 10-21-2009, 11:38 PM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by John Shiels
must be gentle tracking it.
Gentle is a relative term; what is not relative is a brake parts supplier that markets its parts as a high performance equipment for track use that fail in this manner. Not acceptable in my opionion.

Hansel

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking Wilwood SL6s (LG GStop)????

Old 10-22-2009, 11:10 PM
Snidley
Burning Brakes

Since the cross over tube seems to be an area of concern, how do get a spare one? I'd like to carry one to the track instead of finding a leaking on after one run at the track.

Steve
Old 10-22-2009, 11:43 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you could order one from wilwood - they sell replacement parts directly, or you could go through LG, while you are at it I would highly recommend spare bleeder screws and brake line fittings - they seem to get damaged easily (at least compared to GM stuff)
Old 10-23-2009, 06:35 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Gentle is a relative term; what is not relative is a brake parts supplier that markets its parts as a high performance equipment for track use that fail in this manner. Not acceptable in my opionion.

Hansel
well after 5500 + daylight glowing rotor track miles on mine with no problem I feel secure with my Wilwood SL-6 from LGM. When ever you work on your brakes it is a great idea to check for leaks even on a regular car.

Last edited by John Shiels; 10-23-2009 at 06:42 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaking Wilwood SL6s (LG GStop)????