Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Bias /rear pad choice question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 10:48 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Rear Bias /rear pad choice question

I've read on here doing searches that it's actually a good thing to have more braking capability/better pads up front vs rear. Earlier last year I ran HP+ pads up front and stock C5Z pads in the rear w/no issues.

So what happens if I run a more agressive pad like a Wilwood H up front w/the stock C5Z in the rear? Compared to running Wil H front and rear, do I expect more rotor cracking up front w/this set up? Or is the difference so small it won't even really matter, a minor effect compared to braking habits (smoothness and long braking zone for lower heating of the pads/rotors)?

Edit: I should add that the point of trying the stock pads on the rear would be cost savings (rotors)/convenience vs performance. I'm not even close to using the full performance of the Wil H yet anyway.

Thanks for any opinions/experiences!!

Last edited by sothpaw2; 10-25-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:43 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

If you aren't pushing that hard, then I'd just use street pads all around.

If you go with a race pad in the front only, they will get grippier and grippier as they get hot, while the rear street pads will get worse as they get hotter. Bottom line, you'll have a lot of rear bias when cold, which will move to heavy front bias once hot. Most likely your ABS can compensate, but that isn't the ideal case.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 370 Likes on 306 Posts

I've got Carbo AX6 in the rear and the car stays balanced. If you track enough try some different compounds. I started low torque and have worked up.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:07 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I've got Carbo AX6 in the rear and the car stays balanced. If you track enough try some different compounds. I started low torque and have worked up.
What do you have in front? Has anybody run the Wil H front and Z06 rear pad?

Thanks for the replies so far--looks like a combo to avoid thus far.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Bias /rear pad choice question

Quick Reply: Rear Bias /rear pad choice question