Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Hoosier is best ... A6 or R6

Old 10-26-2009, 08:18 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Which Hoosier is best ... A6 or R6

Just doing HPDE and with a light car and want to try Hoosiers. Which is the better tire for road courses like VIR?

More interested in life than maximum grip.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:20 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

A6 has max grip, but get greasy quicker

R6 has Good grip and stays longer. But takes a few laps to heat up and get that grip.

Rex is this for your SRF ?
Old 10-26-2009, 08:45 AM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a DE? Id say R6.

Hell, if you could get your hands on some Koni scrubs, that might even work out better for DE.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:08 AM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
A6 has max grip, but get greasy quicker

R6 has Good grip and stays longer. But takes a few laps to heat up and get that grip.

Rex is this for your SRF ?
Yes for the SRF. SCCA is running the Goodyear but I have to change the car allot to run it and I am out of the Toyos A-048's now so need to switch.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:12 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

The A could last you a long time. - Especially for the remainder of this year and early next year.

During the summer the Rs when the pavement is hot
Old 10-26-2009, 10:22 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
The A could last you a long time. - Especially for the remainder of this year and early next year.

During the summer the Rs when the pavement is hot

The A's seem to like the cooler ambient temps, and seem to fall off real quick when flogged/abused in the summer heat.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:38 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Rex has a Spec Racer Ford. so not too much weight.

As should last quite a long time
Old 10-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,911 Likes on 5,325 Posts

I was not impressed with the Rs. If you are planning on using them go with the Kumho 710s instead.

Bill
Old 10-26-2009, 11:56 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

being that the SRF is a momentum car, i'd say go with the A's. Racing FF, I have ran the Dunlops, Avon's, and American Racer slicks. I started on Avons and went to Dunlops. Wow, hell of a difference. Couldn't brake nearly as deep. Tires were loud with lots of chatter, terrible when cold and not very confidence inspiring when warmed up. I then switched to American Racer slicks (putting my lowly FF in CF) and loved them, cheaper and just as good as avons (only no tread). Ran with a new group who said I have to run the Dunlops...ya, I did 1 session and put the ARs back on. Terrible.

I say this because I have been running the A6s this year on my C5 and tried the R6 (didn't have a choice when at track and needed tires). Got them just in time to mount and run the race...absolute crap. I was running about 3 seconds off the times I was doing on the *** end of A's. Granted the tire temps were wrong when cold, but still, nothing great about them (for a sprint race at least). No confidence in the tire whatsoever. Not what I want in a track tire
Old 10-26-2009, 12:32 PM
rbl
Drifting

I need 185/60-13 and 205/60-13 sizes so I'm limited on selection.

Looks like I don't have a choice after all. After checking, the Hoosiers are only available in the R6's.

I am going to the 12 hour enduro at VIR this weekend and will see if I can find some to try.

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 354 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I was not impressed with the Rs. If you are planning on using them go with the Kumho 710s instead.

Bill

I agree. Or go with the A6s.

I have not seen it posted here, but the amount of rubber on an R6 may last longer than an A6, but the useful life span of the tire is about three heat cycles it seems. After three good heat cycles the R6 is not much better than most performance street tires from my experience. The A6 is fast right down to where the grooves are starting to disappear... certainly not as fast a new A6 but still faster than a new R6.

I also strongly disagree that A6s get greasy, even in the summer. All tires can get greasy, but I don't think the A6 gets greasy any faster than an R6, it just comes up to performance faster. And if you are waiting for a 3+ heat cycle R6 to come up to performance you will be waiting a long time... until your next tire change.

A6s also are much more resilient than V710s after about 5 laps from my experience. V710s are a great tire, but they do fall off a touch as compared to the A6.

I am not all impressed with R6s. If fact, I loathe that tire. They will last longer, but I would rather buy something like a Nitto NT-01 if longetivity is what I am after.

Oli

Old 10-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
...I was running about 3 seconds off the times I was doing on the *** end of A's. Granted the tire temps were wrong when cold, but still, nothing great about them (for a sprint race at least). No confidence in the tire whatsoever. Not what I want in a track tire
Amen!

Old 10-26-2009, 01:09 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Rex can only get the Rs in his sizes
Old 10-26-2009, 01:10 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

that's amazing, because Jason here in the SE has turned in times all year on R6's, new, used, or really used. I guess I am screwed when he goes to A's

I don't have the same experience with the A6 in terms of useful life, IMHO they fall off after the first run. My lap times are always fastest on the sticker run, and slower after.

The A's don't seem to like the extreme summer SE heat either.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by drivinhard
that's amazing, because Jason here in the SE has turned in times all year on R6's, new, used, or really used. I guess I am screwed when he goes to A's

I don't have the same experience with the A6 in terms of useful life, IMHO they fall off after the first run. My lap times are always fastest on the sticker run, and slower after.

Jason will pick-up 1.5 second per 60 seconds of lap time in my opinion on A6s... maybe even two seconds.

If you were in trouble before it will only get much worse much faster on A6s.

Oli

Old 10-26-2009, 02:16 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard

maybe they don't like humidity much? I don't know, we don't get any humidity out here

In my limited experience, every tire is fastest when sticker...never heard of a tire that is as good as it was when a sticker 4 sessions later.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:07 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
Is that why you sold them to me?

Get notified of new replies

To Which Hoosier is best ... A6 or R6

Old 10-27-2009, 08:14 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I can't wait to try some A6's. I've been using R6's ever since I started a couple years ago and I like them, but don't have much to compare to. I'm having a hard time finding a vendor to buy them from in CA. Nobody seems to want to return my e-mails and take my $$.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by redtopz
I can't wait to try some A6's. I've been using R6's ever since I started a couple years ago and I like them, but don't have much to compare to. I'm having a hard time finding a vendor to buy them from in CA. Nobody seems to want to return my e-mails and take my $$.

There is a vendor, and I think he is a supporting vendor, on the forum who sells Hoosiers in your area. Here is his link:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...owmanized.html
Old 10-27-2009, 11:13 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
There is a vendor, and I think he is a supporting vendor, on the forum who sells Hoosiers in your area. Here is his link:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...owmanized.html
Thanks, he's my normal supplier. But I haven't been able to get a hold of him in the past week for some reason.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which Hoosier is best ... A6 or R6