Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's equipment

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 03:35 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Driver's equipment

I'm trying to get a list of things I'll need when I start running wheel 2 wheel and driver's equipment is something I wasn't sure on. Here is some shoes from alpinestars that I've been looking at...

http://www.alpinestars.com/2009_Tech.../p/271018.html

Right beside them are kart shoes that are considerably less. What is the requirement for racing such as Nasa ST2 for shoes, gloves, suit, etc? I imagine it has something to do with fire protection among other things. Just wanted to make sure I get the right stuff the first time. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:58 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

You need to check each santioning body's requirements. Most are pretty similar, but check both/all to ensure you meet all the requirements with one set of clothes/equipment.

One thing I do is own two suits. Most sanctioning groups require their patch on the driver's suit, and as such frown on a competing sanctioning body's patch present at their event. So, I have two suits for just this reason, and am buying a third...

You will need:

Suit (buy an SFI 5 or better)
Gloves
shoes (get shoes & gloves to "match" your suit. appearances as SO important!)
socks (get at least two pair)
helmet
balaclava (if you have facial hair)
HANS (I use this term generically)

Last edited by BuckeyeZ06; 10-26-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:04 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I'll just add I recommend a balaklava even without facial hair (i go back and forth between clean shaved and beard). Also, with the frown upon other sanction body patches on a suit, you can always sew (or have the wife/gf sew) some thin strips of velcro around the edges patches, and velcro on a patch to cover it

or like my dad used to do, is just make the patches to have velcro backings (sew the velcro on), and just have the patches interchangeable via velcro. Saves some money!

Also, not all shoes and gloves are the same. If you can, try on both before you buy. you want to ensure they fit and are comfortable.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:11 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least an SFI 5 double layer suit. the higher the number the more time you get in a fire. I'd go for the nomex undies too. The full 1 piece suit is safer than the two piece. Also some kind of head and neck restraint (HANS etc) with full face helmet. No use in getting a HANS without a full face helmet.
http://www.sfifoundation.com

I need to come to Maryville and check this car out you have bought. Do you ever take it to the cruise in at the mall?

Last edited by ssdeuce; 10-26-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:12 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
I'll just add I recommend a balaklava even without facial hair (i go back and forth between clean shaved and beard).
I don't have any facial hair and use a balaclava as well. Get one from Sparco, much more comfortable.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:29 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ssdeuce
At least an SFI 5 double layer suit. the higher the number the more time you get in a fire. I'd go for the nomex undies too. The full 1 piece suit is safer than the two piece. Also some kind of head and neck restraint (HANS etc) with full face helmet. No use in getting a HANS without a full face helmet.
http://www.sfifoundation.com

I need to come to Maryville and check this car out you have bought. Do you ever take it to the cruise in at the mall?
I already have a full face helmet that should work for what I need. I used it for autox last year and I just refuse to wear anything but a full face. The car that I've bought is still in California. Once I pay the rest of the car off, I will have it shipped over here which is looking to be around March of 2010 if things keep going well for me. I will still have to pick up a nice tow truck and trailer but that will come later.

The few things I figured you would need would be..

helmet
hans
suit
gloves
shoes
underwear (balaklava, socks, etc)

I'll probably just need one suit for now and I like the idea of just using velcro for different clubs. Thanks for the suggestion guys... now I at least have a direction of what I need to look for and what clubs require.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:54 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

alpine stars ???

VAS 3 layer $645
http://www.vasracingsuits.com/shop/P...e=4&catid=1798

and they will sew patches on for you too.

g-force shoes $75.00

and other driver gear

http://www.discoveryparts.com/?referredfrom=NASASE

Two pair of Nomex tee-shirts

OR Cool suite and shirt

two to three pair of nomex socks

Last edited by AU N EGL; 10-26-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:04 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On the hottest day I wear a balaklava. Lesson learned a long while back from Joe at PDA. I was swaeting waiting to go out and he tipped me off to cure. I had two with me but never wore them much. It is good to keep the sweat from going in your eyes never mind a fire beard or not. I have two and swap them between session and hang the other up to dry if it sweaty. lt keeps the helmet nice and clean / dry.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:07 PM
MAC95 6SPD
Racer

The only thing I would add is for your gloves dont match your suit or your car. Bright orange or yellow. We use hand signals a lot and if your gloves stand out they are much easier to see.

Mat
Old 10-26-2009, 09:54 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MAC95 6SPD
The only thing I would add is for your gloves dont match your suit or your car. Bright orange or yellow. We use hand signals a lot and if your gloves stand out they are much easier to see.

Mat
Good point.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:17 AM
errance
Pro

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
balaclava (if you have facial hair)
Why? To prevent facial hair from burning? Does it burn more easily than skin?

I have a goatee and never thought about this...
Old 10-29-2009, 08:16 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by errance
Why? To prevent facial hair from burning? Does it burn more easily than skin?

I have a goatee and never thought about this...
Yes.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:28 AM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
I don't have any facial hair and use a balaclava as well. Get one from Sparco, much more comfortable.
Which hood do you use the cool max or the soft touch?
Old 10-29-2009, 09:38 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

this is the one i use:

i don't like the one that splits my eyes, never used it, but I feel like it would distract me and could possible move so I can't see
Old 10-29-2009, 10:24 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a double layer suit, and make sure that it has good quality zipper. As silly as this sounds, several of the less expensive (Budget) suits have "Crap" for zippers and that either traps you in the suit when you are trying to take it off, or the zipper blows open as you buckle yourself into the car rendering any fire protection ineffective.

Originally Posted by ssdeuce
No use in getting a HANS without a full face helmet.
Based on my product safety training as a certified HANS dealer, I am aware of NO data that would indicate that a HANS device is less effective with a properly installed HANS device used in conjunction with a properly fitted open face helmet.

In the even of a frontal impact, the "pull" of the HANS device force is concentrated to your forehead, not your checks or face, so open face or closed face makes no difference.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Racer2B
Advanced

Definitely pickup a couple balaclava's, helps keep your helmet clean.

If you don't want to spend a fortune, skip the high end brands, most of it is made in the same place as other mid range brands, you just pay for the name for the most part.

Driving Impressions is having some great sales right now, give them a call. www.teamdi.com

Get notified of new replies

To Driver's equipment

Quick Reply: Driver's equipment