Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electric water pump on a hpde car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 09:17 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Default electric water pump on a hpde car?

Quick question. I'm installing a maggie supercharger on a friends LS2 GTO. I have a meziere electric water pump to install with it, but he takes his car to the roadcourse more than the dragstrip. Will the electric water pump provide equal or greater cooling than the stock water pump for hpde or should we just stick with the belt driven water pump? The maggie runs off the serpentine belt, so the electric wp definitely helps take some load off the belt. Thanks .
Old 10-26-2009, 09:26 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I just installed a Meziere in my C4. I did a lot of research and it seems like <4000 RPM it flows more and >4000 is flows less. I have a lot of room to work as far as temperature goes so a few degrees isn't a big deal. I haven't had a chance to try it on a track yet but I'm hoping for the best. I would have kept the mechanical but somehow I managed to break 2 of them in the same weekend and went a different route. The C4 runs off of the cam pulley with a shaft drive so it is a different type than an LSX (obviously) but I think that the flow rates are similar.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:46 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I could never get any flow numbers on the electric pumps, but track use creates a lot of heat, and you can really stress the OEM cooling system without a blower. Unless the Meziere matches or exceeds OEM performance, you are definitely asking for cooling issues with a blower.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:16 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

FWIW, I once road raced a 525hp vintage mustang with a mezierre remote mounted water pump and it worked great. No cooling issues. Best thing was there was a red flag during the race and I was able to turn the car off yet run the fans and water pump so as not to overheat the motor from the abrupt shut off.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:56 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by trackboss
FWIW, I once road raced a 525hp vintage mustang with a mezierre remote mounted water pump and it worked great. No cooling issues. Best thing was there was a red flag during the race and I was able to turn the car off yet run the fans and water pump so as not to overheat the motor from the abrupt shut off.
That sounds promising . I guess we can put it on and if we have any issues with cooling we can just put the stocker back on. The car will only be doing hpde occasionally and the sessions aren't usually more than 20-25 minutes. Thanks guys.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:49 AM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I called all the electric water pump companies when building my LT1 motor....NONE would recommend using one of their products on a road race car.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:52 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rmackintosh
I called all the electric water pump companies when building my LT1 motor....NONE would recommend using one of their products on a road race car.
That's interesting... I was skeptical and doing research myself for my LT-4 car. I called the guys at Meziere and they said that a lot of R/R guys use their high capacity electric pump. That's what I ended up with...
Old 10-27-2009, 07:17 AM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been using Mezeire race version of the LS pump for the last year. My biggest problem was getting the car hot enough. It runs on the thermostat all the time. I have a lot more airflow than most with my tube frame car, but the pump doesn't seem to be an issue at all. This is the version without the dummy pulley though, so I'm not sure if it will work for you.

Ken
Old 10-27-2009, 11:02 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I could never get any flow numbers on the electric pumps, but track use creates a lot of heat, and you can really stress the OEM cooling system without a blower. Unless the Meziere matches or exceeds OEM performance, you are definitely asking for cooling issues with a blower.
35 or 55 gpm
http://www.meziere.com/displaycategory.aspx?id=244,358

I've got the HD (55gpm) Mezeire ewp on my LT1

Last time I was on a road course I wasn't too happy about the temps I was seeing.

competition pumps flow that, per bank in other words twice what the electric is flowing.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...petition.shtml
Old 10-27-2009, 11:17 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rmackintosh

I have the Meziere high flow pump on my 383ci LT1 car. I also have a DeWitts radiator. I do NOT like the temps, on hot days it does not seem adequate (240* is not uncommon). This is not a stock motor, though, so take my experience with a grain of salt.

I do like the ability to run the pump with the car off for cooling, rad flushes, etc. But I do not think it's up to the task in a 45 minute race on a hot day.

CF member 96GS#007 is going back to the stock mechanical pump with his new motor build, see post #206:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...s-pics-11.html

For HPDE, however, I would have no qualms about recommending one. Just make sure it's the 55 gpm.

Last edited by ScaryFast; 10-27-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:21 PM
6SPEEDZ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would NOT use an electric water pump on an LS engine on the street, road course or drag strip. The coolant flow through the block is absolutely terrible. I know the car will run cool but cylinder to cylinder temp is no where near ideal. So you can have a cool cylinder and the PCM will see the cool temp and then a hot cylinder and that the PCM thinks is the cooler temp and runs timing at the cooler level and can potentially run the cylinder into knock. this will eventually cause bug problems.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:09 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 6SPEEDZ
I would NOT use an electric water pump on an LS engine on the street, road course or drag strip. The coolant flow through the block is absolutely terrible. I know the car will run cool but cylinder to cylinder temp is no where near ideal. So you can have a cool cylinder and the PCM will see the cool temp and then a hot cylinder and that the PCM thinks is the cooler temp and runs timing at the cooler level and can potentially run the cylinder into knock. this will eventually cause bug problems.
Why would the flow through the block be any different than stock? It might be flowing more or less gpm compared to the stock wp depending on engine rpm, but the flow characteristics don't change. Maybe I don't understand your post. I ran this electric wp on my 650 rwhp gto for over a year on the street/strip with no issues. However, I have changed my mind on installing it on my friends gto for now. It's one more thing that could fail at the track and I'd feel better knowing he was using the stock wp at first. Thanks for all the posts and info .
Old 10-28-2009, 12:15 AM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Mez HD pump on my LT4 with 476RWHP. Running at Road America for 20-30 min sessions in 85-degree ambient the highest the coolant temps got was 210.

I DO have an oil cooler and Griffin radiator, though, which does help a great deal. Undoubtedly temps would be higher without them.

For HPDE's it's fine. If it were a 'real' race car running hours on-end flat out, though, I'd stick with mechanical for reliability. I bought a used Mez pump to keep as a spare in case I need to swap it out at the track.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

I don't recommend it. The LS pump flows 55gpm at any rpm. It is not enough for a road race car. We tested them in a ZO6 back in 06 and the car ran hot with the pump. I have talked to Mezierre about this for awhile and they just do not recommend it, a mechanical pump at the upper RRM flows around 120 GPM. As you can see that is a huge difference. Dragracing would be a completely different story. Also I believe there are some remote mounted elec pumps that do flow 100+ gpm and they would also be acceptable. Nothing on the LS or LT engines though.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:11 PM
6SPEEDZ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

redtopz I PM'ed you
Old 10-29-2009, 10:10 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jabbott
I don't recommend it. The LS pump flows 55gpm at any rpm. It is not enough for a road race car. We tested them in a ZO6 back in 06 and the car ran hot with the pump. I have talked to Mezierre about this for awhile and they just do not recommend it, a mechanical pump at the upper RRM flows around 120 GPM. As you can see that is a huge difference. Dragracing would be a completely different story. Also I believe there are some remote mounted elec pumps that do flow 100+ gpm and they would also be acceptable. Nothing on the LS or LT engines though.
Originally Posted by 6SPEEDZ
redtopz I PM'ed you
Thanks for the info guys . I was using it for drag racing and that's probably a good application for it. We'll stick with the stock pump for hpde.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:46 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, the last time we tried installing a Mezierre electric pump on an LS6 that had a Magnuson blower and the two physically do not fit together, they both try to occupy the same space at the same time.

Secondly, When I spoke to one of Mezierre's product design team this past August, he said that this electric LS pump is NOT a good choice for road racing.

The good news is that they are due to roll out a new mechical water pump for LS engines that's primary target is for cars used in road racing and off-road racing.

Get notified of new replies

To electric water pump on a hpde car?

Old 10-31-2009, 07:07 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, I considered this for my lt1 as I wanted to go with a standard SBC timing kit....it will flow much less at high rpm than a mechanical pump. So in short, a very bad idea.

Tim
Old 11-01-2009, 11:00 PM
2002rich
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by redtopz
Thanks for the info guys . I was using it for drag racing and that's probably a good application for it. We'll stick with the stock pump for hpde.
OEM LS water pump will start to cavitate above 4K rpm's, however for most folks it will work fine because they don't have big hp to try to cool down on the roadcourse. I would recommend an Evans water pump. Mine is sized to flow 78gpm at 6k rpm's and if didn't have a T-stat it would flow >120gpm. An OEM water pump will not flow that much.
Call Evans and they will work with you on sizing the water pump for your application. You will not look back.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:32 AM
blkz
Pro

2002Rich . Do you have a site or number for Evans ? Thanx ,

Quick Reply: electric water pump on a hpde car?