Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raybestos ST43 - What can I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:29 AM
flycastinguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raybestos ST43 - What can I expect?

I'll be putting a set of used 4 piston Brembos, F & R, on the C5Z soon. I bought these from a Forum member, and they came with a mid-life set of Raybestos ST43 pads. In the past I've tried Carbotech XP10, Cobalt XR2 and and Hawk DTC60 on stock calipers. With the high cost of pads for the Brembos, I need to run the ST43's out. Sales brochures are one thing ... every mfg. says long life, rotor friendly, high initial torque, good modulation, blah, blah, blah. But what can I expect real world from the ST43's as compared to these other pads? Thanks for the input.

Bob
Old 10-29-2009, 08:36 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

I ran them as padlets on my first C6-Z06 and as I recall they were very aggressive and made lot of noise if used on the steet. They should be fine. JD
Old 10-29-2009, 10:07 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

NOT a street pad. They are a track only application. When used there they will exhibit the qualities described. When used on the street they will be hard on rotors and not terribly effective as they are designed for much higher heat applications.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:41 AM
flycastinguy
Racer

Jim and Todd, good to know. I am planning on using them on track only.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:27 AM
2002rich
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by flycastinguy
But what can I expect real world from the ST43's as compared to these other pads? Thanks for the input.

Bob
Hi Bob

You will not be disappointed in the ST43's performance on the track!
You will get 3x the life compared to the Carbotech front XP12 and rear XP10.
I am not knocking Carbotech just giving you the facts on pad wear.
Oh, and I was a big Carbotech fan and when all my other track buddies changed over to ST43's they trippled their pad life and I finally
decided to change over to ST43's and guess what I trippled my pad life too.
BTW - PFC-01's are comparable to the ST43's in terms of pad life.
Ask me how I know

All three compounds - ST43's, Carbotech and PFC-01 were all about the same on rotor wear.

Last edited by 2002rich; 10-30-2009 at 04:20 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:31 AM
flycastinguy
Racer

Originally Posted by 2002rich
Hi Bob

You will not be disappointed in the ST43's performance on the track!
You will get 3x the life compared to the Carbotech front XP12 and rear XP10.
I am not knocking Carbotech just giving you the facts on pad wear.
Oh, and I was a big Carbotech fan and when all my other track buddies changed over to ST43's they trippled their pad life and I finally
decided to change over to ST43's and guess what I trippled my pad life too.
BTW - PFC-01's are comparable to the ST43's in terms of pad life.
Ask me how I know

All three compounds - ST43's, Carbotech and PFC-01 were all about the same on rotor wear.

Thanks! That's the info I'm looking for. How about stopping power as compared to the Carbotechs in the compounds that you ran, all other things being equal?
Old 10-30-2009, 09:52 PM
2002rich
Burning Brakes

Thanks! That's the info I'm looking for. How about stopping power as compared to the Carbotechs in the compounds that you ran, all other things being equal?
ST43 and Carbotech in regards to stopping power, I'd call it a tie but if I were pressed for only one winner, I'd have to give the win to ST43.

Carbotech IMO has great products but their pads just don't last as long as the other two pads. One could argue that they initially cost less which true but in the end they cost more because you have to changed them 3x as often.

BTW - It's been my experience the DS3000 have the same pad life as the Carbotech so I don't use them anymore either.
If I had a choice to either run Carbotech XP12's or DS3000, I would choose Carbotech because their compound is non corrosive

Last edited by 2002rich; 10-30-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:46 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My experiences with the ST43's were impressive as well, the only negative is the initial cost. I used them at Laguna Seca; the PBR calipers deformed but the pads never faded! These are high end racing pads; I believe they were used by Joe Gibbs Racing on Tony Stewart's car a couple of seasons ago(correction, they used the ST41's.)

Last edited by Sidney004; 10-30-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:15 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

ST43 and Carbotech in regards to stopping power, I'd call it a tie but if I were pressed for only one winner, I'd have to give the win to ST43.

Carbotech IMO has great products but their pads just don't last as long as the other two pads. One could argue that they initially cost less which true but in the end they cost more because you have to changed them 3x as often.

BTW - It's been my experience the DS3000 have the same pad life as the Carbotech so I don't use them anymore either.
If I had a choice to either run Carbotech XP12's or DS3000, I would choose Carbotech because their compound is non corrosive

________________________________________ ________________

I ran these at Thunderhill and they worked perfectly.
A month later I used these @ Infineon and the braking power was super but the noise was unbelievable. They didn't screech , they SCREAMED! My friends in the grand stands said they could hear me going into every corner on the track. Maybe these things did not get hot enough @ Infineon as they did @ Thunderhill. In one week I'll try them again @ Infineon again and maybe I'll put a sock in my brake cooling lines to keep them hotter.

Any ideas out there?
Old 11-01-2009, 10:39 PM
2002rich
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
________________________________________ ________________

I ran these at Thunderhill and they worked perfectly.
A month later I used these @ Infineon and the braking power was super but the noise was unbelievable. They didn't screech , they SCREAMED! My friends in the grand stands said they could hear me going into every corner on the track. Maybe these things did not get hot enough @ Infineon as they did @ Thunderhill. In one week I'll try them again @ Infineon again and maybe I'll put a sock in my brake cooling lines to keep them hotter.

Any ideas out there?
Hmm, Infineon is not as hard on brakes as you would think but neither is Thill. Laguna Seca is a different story, they eat brakes.

It appears you did not get the pads hot enough but as a reference point, if you were not doing sub 1:58 then most likely they just needed more temp. Either go faster or block the brake ducts with tape.

Rich
Old 11-01-2009, 10:42 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
Any ideas out there?

Ear plugs?

What's the deal about noise? If it works who cares?
Old 11-02-2009, 08:50 AM
flycastinguy
Racer

Great info guys. But this brings up another question I haven't thought of. How corrosive is the dust from ST43's as compared to the others? An issue if it's an all-out race pad?

Bob
Old 11-02-2009, 10:36 PM
2002rich
Burning Brakes

Great info guys. But this brings up another question I haven't thought of. How corrosive is the dust from ST43's as compared to the others? An issue if it's an all-out race pad?

Bob
Over the years, I have learned to clean my rims just after an event to wash away all the dust. I can't say whether one is more corrosive than the other but I would guess they will all cake on you rims and surrounding areas if you don't wash it off soon. The worst thing you can do is get caught in the rain and then let it dry. Man 'O' man is that nasty. Oh that was with the Hawk Blues, many years ago, when they were the pad to use. I will never let that happen again regardless of the pad I use.
The bottom line......... don't let the dust get wet and then dry on its own, if you do then get it washed off as soon as possible. Over time, you will be glad you did. Some folks use black rims because it hides all the dust but even so, I'd still wash it off.

Last edited by 2002rich; 11-02-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:37 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Good point. Compressed air before you hit the car wash!

Get notified of new replies

To Raybestos ST43 - What can I expect?

Quick Reply: Raybestos ST43 - What can I expect?