Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello from Advanced Composite Products (ACP)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 05:10 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
Good lord mike, thats just HOT!
Agree....More pics of this car please side and back shots.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Woods
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GettReal
Agree....More pics of this car please side and back shots.
Thanks Ross nice to see you at Summit. My best was a 1:16.5 but the mean Subie ran a 1:16.077 tough to beat 620 ALL Wheel HP!...... GettReal here you go. The wing is not just bolted to the rear deck. It actually has struts in the trunk area and bolted to the frame.

Last edited by Woods; 11-11-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:24 PM
M3MOTORSPORTS
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Kerry, Do you need to run the rear wing to balance the car after installing the front splitter?

Originally Posted by ACProducts
HI Steve,
I saw this right after you posted it and tried responding from my blackberry and after about an hour of pecking the keys I tried to submit it and lost the whole thing.

The cost of the overlay splitter is $433.00 and the undertray is presently listed at $973.00....that is the easy part.

Here is the rest of the answer....

The overlay splitter was made to give both the looks and aero performance without having to change the front fascia. We did it after we did the first aero mods for GM.

When this aero package was designed, ACP worked with Ken Brown from GM racing. We designed it using the first generation set of rules for the C5 that were set by SCCA World Challenge. That rule, at that time was that the leading edge of the splitter may not be further forward than the leading most edge of the stock front fascia.

To answer your question straight out, you can use this splitter along with the tunneled undertray and it will work.

You are correct in that it will become a bottom breather and you will have to do some additional work to make that work too. I'll cover that later here in the post.

So far it it isn't too complicated however here are some issues that you will need to address.

When we built the front fascia to go with the aero package, Ken Brown did some calculations and determined that if you have more than 475 flywheel horsepower the air inlet opening under the license plate in the stock fascia would be too marginal to properly cool the engine.

He had us open it up to let in more air. Additionally, the brake duct openings were made about 30% larger to accomodate brake cooling.
Finally we added a wickerbill to the front edge of the front wheel opening that would cause the air to speed up across the wheel well opening and cause a negative pressure in the opening that would extract air from under the car. Those are the aero changes that we made to the fascia that we build.

We originally built these as a one piece fascia and the splitter was an intrigal part of the whole piece. This was good for us and not so good for our customers because many times when the car would go off course, it would take the splitter and half the nose with it.

SCCA then in their infinate wisdom made a rule change that was infact a good one for the Corvette. They allowed the spoiler to extend two inches beyond the most forward leading edge of the front fascia.

We had to build a new mold and while doing so decided that we would make the spoiler and the fascia in two pieces so if there was an off course excurson, there would not be so much damage. Good for us because SCCA later changed the rule again and allowed a four inch spoiler for a short while and then took it back to two inches. That is where is stayed.

I told you all of that to tell you this....

If you have more than 475 flywheel horsepower and you want to use the stock front fascia, you will have to enlarge the front opening under the license plate. I would also highly recommend that you enlarge the brake duct openings to help cool your brakes. You can add a wickerbill to the front wheel well opening without too much trouble.

If any of you would like to run this configuration, please give me a call and I will be glad to give you some dimensions and go over how I would suggest to do it. It will save you some money but it will take a little more labor to make it work. ACP can even supply you with a framework around the air inlet opening to make the modification a bit easier.

The upside to doing this is that you will retain your urethane front fascia which is more street/track friendly.
You will not however get the full effect of having the front splitter two (or four if you choose) inches forward of the fascia. It will however be much more noticably better than stock.

Finally, THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE PROCESS! for both configurations. The tunneled undertray will block off the bottom breathing capabilities of your car. You must be sure that the ductwork from the air inlet at the front of the fascia under the license plate is in place in such a mannor that all of the air must pass through the radiator. there can not be even an eighth of an inch gap in the seams. it must be totally sealed or your car will overheat. Again please feel free to call me if any of you want to make the modifications. I will be glad to walk you through it.

I think that about covers things. If I missed something and there are still questions please email me at kerry@acproducts.us.

Thanks,
Kerry
Old 11-15-2009, 03:53 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Old 11-18-2009, 01:26 PM
0ACProducts
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M3MOTORSPORTS
Kerry, Do you need to run the rear wing to balance the car after installing the front splitter?
If you are just running a splitter you will most likely not need the wing but if you run the splitter with the undertray and the hood, you will find that the front end will stick very well and the back will tend to be loose.

We found in the wind tunnel that the whole package will give you over 700 pounds downforce. The wing in the rear of the car will make your car more neutral. That translates into making your day at the track much more fun!
Old 11-18-2009, 02:50 PM
M3MOTORSPORTS
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Do you make a splitter and under tray for the Tigershark fascia? and as long as I'm asking, will your Z11 front fenders fit the T-shark nosecone?

Originally Posted by ACProducts
If you are just running a splitter you will most likely not need the wing but if you run the splitter with the undertray and the hood, you will find that the front end will stick very well and the back will tend to be loose.

We found in the wind tunnel that the whole package will give you over 700 pounds downforce. The wing in the rear of the car will make your car more neutral. That translates into making your day at the track much more fun!
Old 12-04-2009, 06:07 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fastdog
I couldn't be happier to see you here Kerry!

For the readers, Kerry and I have been friends for some time. His stuff works and he's a racer himself.

If my experience is any indicator, his pieces work, they have been in the wind tunnel, and the results are REAL!

800-832-8624. Call him and he'll get back with you.

I work for a car maker and I can tell you I do my best to stay on top of my e-mails. Even so, I am fortunately busy and travel to keep everything going.

Use the phone. It's worth it.

A wise person once told me that "It's more fun to WIN!"

I couldn't agree more.
Kerry is indeed a racer himself, holding for many years, the record for TTOD up the Duryea Hillclimb in Redding, PA, and beating with his Corvette (among others) Oscar Kovaleski's McLaren M12 Can Am car
Old 03-06-2010, 10:33 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Old 03-07-2010, 03:58 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

he seems to be MIA lately as some have contacted me after trying to talk to him with no results

Anyone hear anything from him?
Old 03-07-2010, 11:56 PM
venomws7
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

How much is front spoiler??

Old 03-10-2010, 10:07 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by venomws7
How much is front spoiler??

Did I miss somewhere where it says which splitter this is?
Old 03-11-2010, 02:42 AM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Default happy customer

I am in the prosess of building up a car to compete in a Nordic GT1 race series. my rear deck lid was ordered from ACP in october, promised delivery time 4 weeks. i had a container with parts leaving for Norway end of december and thought ACP had plenty of time. Long story short, they had some snags in building prototype and could not make the promised delivery time and it missed the container.
Shipping a big piece like that is expensive from US to Norway, so i cancelled my order.
Kerry stepped up and shipped directly to me, at no cost

What a customer service, and the carbon deck lid is a quality piece, fit was excellent, i had to trim slightly towards roof line.
to ACP

Rune
Old 03-11-2010, 07:06 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Rune

Very Cool. Good Luck on your build and dont forget to post PICTURES.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:56 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Woods
Thanks Ross nice to see you at Summit. My best was a 1:16.5 but the mean Subie ran a 1:16.077 tough to beat 620 ALL Wheel HP!...... GettReal here you go. The wing is not just bolted to the rear deck. It actually has struts in the trunk area and bolted to the frame.

Wow, just wow! This C5 is amazing. I'm really interested in doing the same front splitter, under-tray and hood (along with some sort of wing to balance it out).

Do you have any pics of the radiator ducting and/or how the vertical braces attach behind the fascia?

How tough is it to load that thing on/off trailers? Is it completely out of the question to street-drive it with that splitter? I still street drive my C5Z to/from some closer events.

And one quick question for ACP: is there any sort of "package deal" on the hood, splitter and under-tray? Maybe a rear wing as well? Feel free to PM me... I'm VERY interested.

Thanks,
TJ

Last edited by tjZ06; 03-11-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:07 AM
MDR1970
Pro

Heres an ACP Z11 kit. Great quality along with fit and finish.Gets compliments every where i go.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:28 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by MDR1970
Heres an ACP Z11 kit. Great quality along with fit and finish.Gets compliments every where i go.

wow thats a good looking c5!
Old 04-16-2010, 08:30 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tjZ06
Wow, just wow! This C5 is amazing. I'm really interested in doing the same front splitter, under-tray and hood (along with some sort of wing to balance it out).

Do you have any pics of the radiator ducting and/or how the vertical braces attach behind the fascia?

How tough is it to load that thing on/off trailers? Is it completely out of the question to street-drive it with that splitter? I still street drive my C5Z to/from some closer events.

And one quick question for ACP: is there any sort of "package deal" on the hood, splitter and under-tray? Maybe a rear wing as well? Feel free to PM me... I'm VERY interested.

Thanks,
TJ

-TJ

Get notified of new replies

To Hello from Advanced Composite Products (ACP)

Old 04-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Woods
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have any pics of the radiator ducting and/or how the vertical braces attach behind the fascia? I do not sorry, you basically have to make templates out of card board and trial fit them. Then make them out of aluminum or plastic. I purchased a roll of plastic about 15 feet from Hoerr racing. Basically aluminum angle, flat pieces and pop rivets. It takes about an hour to remove the splitter and 2 hours to put it back on. So it stays on.

How tough is it to load that thing on/off trailers? Yep, I have an enclosed trailer, so the door down, ramp extension 5 to 6 feet worth, and 2x10's 3feet. Trailer tongue jacked way up.

Is it completely out of the question to street-drive it with that splitter? depends on your ride height, you will rip it off on a curbs, dips, driveways. Even at the track I bottom out in the paddock
..good luck
Old 04-19-2010, 10:56 PM
tcrcuda5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys here is a couple of pixs on my car.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:47 AM
WYCKD 1
Melting Slicks

I've been considering aero parts for my C4 (92) and all I've seen is the Greenwood kit. Would like to see other options.

Kerry, I noticed one pic on your website but do you have any other parts or pics?

Or, does anyone here have aero parts other than Greenwood that I could see pics of?

Thank you.
lauri

Quick Reply: Hello from Advanced Composite Products (ACP)