Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 11:27 PM
67Ranger
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Harness questions

I bought an 01 Z06 a few months ago, and I'm planning on taking a few driving classes at some of the tracks around me. Basically, I dont really know what harness bars and harnesses are good, bad, whatever, so any input would be great.

My other question is, do I need a hole in my Z06 seats, or can I just run the belt around the outside?

The car is just a weekend car right now, that may go to the track 3-4 times a year at most. Price is important, but safety is more important so I really want something that will work great for occasional use, but it doesnt need to stand up to abuse every weekend or anything like that.

Thanks for the help.

Joe
Old 11-01-2009, 11:56 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Never wrap a harness around a stock seat. Cutting holes in factory seats or even running a harness through a sport seat with the factory slot for belts is another terrible idea. A stock seat is only designed to work with the factory 3 point belt. The problem is that the seat can break in a backward impact thus leaving you with no belts at all (I spent most of the day today building a seat back brace for my Kirkey aluminum road race seat for just that reason). The only worthy street/track compromise in my opinion is a very expensive set of Caravaggio seats or something similar. Otherwise, you'll need a race seat to swap in and out for every event.

Harness bars? I have the 2 ton RD Racing bar, but I would recommend the Brey Krause and a nice 6 point (5 point minimum) harness.

http://www.bkauto.com/corvette/r1115.php

Old 11-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Ms Eliz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A harness set up is really super to have. It keeps you planted to the seat and lets you focus on driving instead of fighting the G's etc. Reduces driver fatigue too.

But in this case since it's your first time, I recomend using stock seatbelts until you know this roadracing/HPDE stuff is for you. Many other cars will be there without harnessess in the novice group and you will get a chance to see other set ups in the more experienced cars and maybe even try them out before you buy.

Harnesses, bars & seats get spendy real quick. IMHO, I'd put the money in fluids and fresh brakes first.

This is great reading for folks getting into the sport:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html

GOOD LUCK!
Ms Eliz

Get notified of new replies

To Harness questions

Quick Reply: Harness questions