Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Master Cylinder Upgrade Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 09:16 PM
deadringer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake Master Cylinder Upgrade Recommendations

I'm looking for some recommendations for a larger master cylinder for a brake upgrade for a C6. Searching the forums here pulled up many threads suggesting that its a good idea, but I couldn't find any make/model/part numbers...

The only one I could find thats a bolt-on replacement is from Doug Rippie:

http://www.dougrippie.com/drm/brake_components.htm

Some questions:
  • Are there others out there? And make/models, please.
  • Are there other units thats a drop in replacement? I've heard someone doing a swap from a GM pickup truck, and looking at the GM truck unit it looks like it might work but I want to see if anyone has done it?

Any feedback would be helpful, thanks!
Old 11-02-2009, 09:20 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

since you bring this up I'd like to know if anyone knows the piston size of the factory m/c.(C5) Personally I think all factory cars are over boosted and the corvette is no exception. I'd prefer a firmer, shorter travel pedal. If the truck is about 1/16 larger diameter I think it would be about just right for my preference.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:29 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been looking at the options on a BBK too. I have not seen the need to upgrade the MC.

on my 06 In the meantime I went SS brake lines, motul fluid, hawk + for street and cobalt xr series for track. their friction compound stops at 200mph slams down to 60mph.
also I went with the Quantum air ducts which IMO have kept the stock rotors from cracking.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:31 AM
JMB92
Advanced

Stock M/C is 25.4mm or 1" for you english types.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:34 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

If you buy properly sized calipers you do not need to change the master cylinder. In most cases changing cylinders does more damage than good (hard pedal, difficult to modulate, etc). Also, increasing fluid volume can effect abs performace since the valves are designed to work with the oem volume/pressures. Unless you are going to larger piston volume front and rear you should stick with oem.

Big brakes doesn't necessarily mean big pistons/big piston are
Old 11-03-2009, 06:36 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Thanks JMB92!
Now, anyone know what size the truck m/c's are? I'm pretty sure there is a difference between the 1/2 tons and the heavy duty's.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:03 PM
deadringer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by trackboss
Thanks JMB92!
Now, anyone know what size the truck m/c's are? I'm pretty sure there is a difference between the 1/2 tons and the heavy duty's.
Are the GM truck MC's a direct bolt-on swap for the C6 vette's?
Old 11-03-2009, 09:25 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Pretty much all factory m/c's are two bolt, side-by-side. I'm sure the truck ones should fit no problem. Other mfg.'s may need a custom pushrod. I know I've swapped around a whole bunch of ford m/c's on my old race car to get the right pedal. Some times I had to make new lines with the correct thread fittings, but otherwise they were straight forward bolt ons.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:30 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
Some times I had to make new lines with the correct thread fittings, but otherwise they were straight forward bolt ons.
Yes, the C6 MC has unique fittings shared only with the XLR. I'm guessing that they're M12 inverted flare while almost all other GM seem to be SAE thread. And ... for no reason that I can imagine other than to make it much more exclusive and expensive. Thankfully, I own a double-flare kit and am not afraid to use it.

--Dan
Old 11-03-2009, 11:48 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

It sure would be nice if all the mfg's used AN-3 and made it simple. On my first race car I used the factory pedal assembly and m/c, but when I plumbed the recirculator system I used common -3 fittings. On those they are supposed to only use a single 37* flare, but I was forced to use double flares and mix/match everything. Seemed to work, but I'd rather not have done it. All race cars I've done since then I make it easy and put real pedal assemblies in them for more reasons than one. The C5 being my street/track toy I'd simply prefer a slightly larger m/c that hopefully bolts right up without having to make new lines. There's got to be one out there, but I can never get anyone to tell me what the piston sizes are.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Master Cylinder Upgrade Recommendations

Quick Reply: Brake Master Cylinder Upgrade Recommendations