Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness Tech Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 12:04 AM
jsbwac
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Harness Tech Question

I have the Crow 6 point harnesses in my car. I wasn't allowed to use them per the tech guys until I had racing seats so the belts could go through the seats. I just installed Corbeau FX1 Pros. My question is now that the belts go through the seats, do I have to still find a way to secure them to the roll bar behind the seats? As is, they can slide a small bit back and forth, but since they go through the seats they will not slide off my shoulders which was the issue with the stock seats.
I just don't feel like going to tech the car and getting turned away. I thought about welding a small loop on the rollbar just to keep them in place.

Also, I mounted the subbelt anchors to the rear floor frame by where the seat mounts. I am not using my stock belts when these seats are in, so I mounted the lap belt to or near the stock belt mounting points on the Corbeau seat brackets. Seems to work well but wanted to see what you guys thought.

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2009, 03:12 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I run the FX1 Pro and Crow belts set up just the way yours are and I have never been faulted by tech for not having the belts captured laterally. Go for it.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:28 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Best thing I've seen for locating the belts on the bar is a two-piece nylon/metal ring that screws around the bar - use to keep the belts from sliding - can't remember the vendor tho ...

EDIT: Here it is ... thanks to FatBillyBob @ post # 12:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-question.html

Last edited by MungoZ06; 11-03-2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: added post link
Old 11-03-2009, 02:18 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

while you may pass tech, i'd be a little uncomfortable if the belts can freely move side-to-side over the roll/harness bar
Old 11-04-2009, 03:47 AM
jsbwac
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks guys. Those shaft collars might not be a bad investment just to be sure and was actually what I was thinking of but wasn't sure where to get them. The only thing so far I am not happy with is the angle of my seats. I am going to have to pull them and readjust, tilting them more.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:15 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jsbwac
Thanks guys. Those shaft collars might not be a bad investment just to be sure and was actually what I was thinking of but wasn't sure where to get them. The only thing so far I am not happy with is the angle of my seats. I am going to have to pull them and readjust, tilting them more.
www.mscdirect.com for the shaft collars; they're cheap. That said, I don't think you'll need them. The belts won't slide once you have them tightened. The groups I've been running with let me run them with the stock seats and I've never had an issue -- TeamTech JetPilot harness.

One thing to watch for is the groups wanting a seat back brace... this is my favorite: http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...tegory_Code=IH

Easy to adjust, easy to add.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:22 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Another cheap option is to zip tie a small piece (ie 3-4 inches wide) of roll bar padding onto either side of where you have the belts attached to the rollbar. The stuff I am referring to is the softer stuff, not the high density type (but either one will work). I did this with the setup in my previous car and did not have any issues with the harnesses moving around.

Get notified of new replies

To Harness Tech Question

Quick Reply: Harness Tech Question