Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help setting up '08 Z06 for track

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:13 PM
C5ontrack
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help setting up '08 Z06 for track

Just got this bad boy and want to do Sebring Jan 13 PBOC winterfest.

what do I need for track brakes? (I ran Wilwood H on my Z51 LS2)

What about tires - for stock wheels? or is there an inexpensive track wheel I can get?

Hardbar? Anyone have corsa exhaust on Z06? I hate the quiet sound of the Z as I used to have Kooks/corsa/cold air/ on my LS2...loved the sound and GURGGLE BACKING OFF
Does '08 Z06 have steel brake lines? ..dont have a garage anymore ;- (
Thanks for your help... see ya on the track
Dave
Old 12-09-2009, 09:10 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by C5ontrack
Just got this bad boy and want to do Sebring Jan 13 PBOC winterfest.

what do I need for track brakes? (I ran Wilwood H on my Z51 LS2)

What about tires - for stock wheels? or is there an inexpensive track wheel I can get?

Hardbar? Anyone have corsa exhaust on Z06? I hate the quiet sound of the Z as I used to have Kooks/corsa/cold air/ on my LS2...loved the sound and GURGGLE BACKING OFF
Does '08 Z06 have steel brake lines? ..dont have a garage anymore ;- (
Thanks for your help... see ya on the track
Dave
Hi Dave

You're gonna LOVE the Z06 on the track - it's a BEAST!!!

Many think the OE brakes are junk, but I like them very much. I think you'll find them to be great - just get some DOT 4 fluid into the system and maybe some more aggressive pads. I run Motul RBF 600 and either Carbotech XP12/10 or Hawk DTC70/60, and they brake the car like throwing out an anchor. Cobalt has some very good pads also.

The stock brake hoses are rubber. I have SS hoses, but forum member and C6 Z06 track driver says he finds the stock hoses are fine - and he drives as hard and fast as most anybody else.

I run the stock exhaust. I have a Mild-2-Wild switch and open my valves before going out on track (or around town anytime I want to make a little more noise!!). I find that to be plenty of additional sound. I had a 2005 coupe with Corsa Sports and they did have a sweet sound and a nice burble when off the throttle. The Z06 doesn't have the burble when backing down, but I like the sound with the valves open. I just got a ZR1 and put a M2W on it and HOLY CRAP!!! That thing really howls with the valves open and really burbles and barks when decelerating.

I just run on the track with my stock seats and find them very nice. I also just use the stock 3-point harness. I pull it all the way out and it ratchets back and I pull it as tight as I can and it holds me in the seat pretty well. I have a Rage R3 HANS type device that works with the stock seat belts.

I run Hoosier R6s on stock wheels. I have also run events on my street tires. I drove down to Sebring this spring for one day of running, and I drove down on my street tires (Michelin PS ZPs - almost exactly the same performance as the OE GYs). Here's a video:

I think I'd probably be doing 4 or 5 seconds per lap faster on the Hoosiers, but I set up the alignment more aggressively for the Hoosiers and didn't want to drive 140 miles each way on track alignment and Hoosiers.

BTW, I think you're going to find that you'll want tire pressure sensors in your track wheels.

I don't think I'm going to be tracking the ZR1 much, if at all, and none of the Z06 stuff fits on it anyway. I've got a lot of Z06 junk I'll be posting up for sale when I get it all inventoried (pads, a couple sets of OE wheels, a couple sets of Hoosiers, progressive shift light, Rage R3, etc.).

If you'll be coming down I-95 on your way to Sebring stop by my place in Daytona and look at my stuff and see if there's anything you'd like - I'm about 4 miles from the interstate.

Bottom line, you can track the car just about bone stock and it will be wicked!!! The main thing I'd upgrade is the brake fluid.

Have fun at Sebring!!!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 12-09-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:45 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Leave the lines alone for now, yours are new and will last a long long time.. Just get some decent pads, flush with Valvoline or Prestone Synthetic fluid (spend more if you want, but you shouldn't need to), and go for it. You could add another 1/2 degree camber front and rear if you are serious, especially if you run track tires.

Just pull the exhaust fuse if you want to hear it gurgling all of the time. I personally like a quiet car on the street
Old 12-13-2009, 09:51 AM
C5ontrack
Racer

Thanks for the info. I'm interested in your used Z06 stuff email me whats for sale and price davewin@comcast.net. Great video, how do you get the rpm speed and track data into you video, thats the coolest !
Old 12-13-2009, 09:58 AM
C5ontrack
Racer

Dave, which is the exhaust fuse and what do you like for hardbar? track pads?
BR,
Dave
Old 12-13-2009, 05:06 PM
C5ontrack
Racer

I pulled the fuse. It sounds slightly better but a bit drone too. I guess I'll need to put Corsa exhaust to get the sound I loved on my Z51 LS2 with kooks and Corsa and CAI + tune. BTW I understand you void the Z06 engine warranty if you get a tune !!
Old 12-13-2009, 09:26 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are a novice (under 10 events) than I would just flush the brake fluid and go have fun on the OEM set up. If you are an intermediate (30 or less events), just get good allignment with add camber, upgrade to XP8's, get a good helmet and have fun. If you are advanced, you would have never asked this question, so don't worry about it.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:09 PM
C5ontrack
Racer

Dude, I guess you missed my reference to Wilwood H pads on my C6 Z51? Which should have tipped you off that I have at least some track experience (not that it matters, but I've driven most tracks on the east coast, raced cobras, and BMW's just bought an '08 Z06 - my 5th Vet..... 3rd Vet for track days...and holy crap this beast is fast!). I was wanting some Z06 track day mods recommendations in terms of what folks think is best for the track. I've found over the years that the forum is the best source of corvette info...bar none, and some great guys willing to share their knowledge and experience to help one another. So if you have any recommendations you'd like to share I'm eager, willing and grateful, to learn from your experience. Probably pads is my first mod but I dont know which one works best for the Z06 brakes, i want aggresive bite, but kind to the stock rotors and low dust if posible. Also whats the best hardbar?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:06 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for clarifying, we get a lot of newbie's in here (which is good), but all the newbies start asking about mods before they even get on the track, so sometimes the flag goes off in those situations.

If you are running Hoosiers, the OEM pads will not work, I would say minimum XP8 if not XP10 is good choice. Spend the extra $$$ for the single pad, it will last a bit longer and is easier to work with.

If you are running street tires (even good ones), don't waste your money on anything higher than an XP8 as the tires won't provide the grip to use that level of braking.

Really, this doesn't get stated often enough, but brake pads should be based on the level of grip you get from your tires. Many people here run Hoosiers, so often assume you are running the stickiest tire available, but that may not be the case.

I had SS lines on my C5 and don't have them on my C6Z, I personally can't tell the difference. I love Wilwood pads, but they are not available in C6Z sizes.

I have a hardbar and it is one of the best looking harness bars on the market. They all do the same thing, so just get the one you think looks the best or is the lightest. The Harbar is made from Aluminum and is very light compared to the steel bars offered. If you are tall, you may need to extender kit, as I can not put my seat back 100%. Some tall people do have problems as passengers (I am about 5' 10.5"")

Get notified of new replies

To Help setting up '08 Z06 for track

Quick Reply: Help setting up '08 Z06 for track