Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yep! 'nother tow vehical question....

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 12:35 PM
stano
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yep! 'nother tow vehical question....

I'm leaving with the wife in about 45 min to go look at what chevy is offering in suv's, namely the Tahoe for towing an enclosed trailer with a 3000lb car and goodies necessary for the track. We'll be looking at the Silverado's too.

Gas mileage aside, any suggestions? The 320 HP V8 Tahoe should be fine I would expect. How about the Tahoe Hybrid?

Which Silverado should I look at? 2500HD crewcab should be capable huh?

I'm all

Old 12-10-2009, 12:58 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stano
I'm leaving with the wife in about 45 min to go look at what chevy is offering in suv's, namely the Tahoe for towing an enclosed trailer with a 3000lb car and goodies necessary for the track. We'll be looking at the Silverado's too.

Gas mileage aside, any suggestions? The 320 HP V8 Tahoe should be fine I would expect. How about the Tahoe Hybrid?

I'm all

Old 12-10-2009, 01:13 PM
mdk
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

I would look at the 2500 and above if your in the market. the tahoe will tow but be near max capcity, I'm looking to, but will go the 1ton deisel route so I'm not doing the white knuckle thing driving down the road.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

You'll need more wheelbase and more power to tow what you're suggesting without having to struggle up the mountain passes and white knuckle the road in the wind.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:25 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mdk
I would look at the 2500 and above if your in the market. the tahoe will tow but be near max capcity, I'm looking to, but will go the 1ton deisel route so I'm not doing the white knuckle thing driving down the road.
I will not tow an enclosed trailer without a dually. The power is one thing, but the stability factor alone is worth the jump from a 2500!!! Plus, duallys are just !
Old 12-10-2009, 02:33 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

fine I would expect. How about the Tahoe Hybrid?

I'm all

The Silverado 2500HD crewcab is a comfortable and extremely capable tow vehicle. Particularly when powered by the Duramax diesel with the Allison transmission.

You can carry 5 people in comfort while not really noticing the load. I added some airbags to mine and tow a 24' enclosed trailer with tools, compressors, generators and spares.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:40 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Tahoe or Tahoe Hybrid for towing?? Not a chance

2500HD min for any enclosed trailer towing

We rented a Tahoe for a vacation trip. With three of us and full cargo it still drove OK. I would hate to tow even a open trailer with tahoe.

the brakes on the Tahoe were poor to say the least.

I still would buy a Tahoe, ( change the brake pads) but not for towing

Last edited by AU N EGL; 12-10-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:51 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Just picked up a 2500HD, 6 liter 6sp auto 4x4 with 3.73 diffs, 10,200lb towing capacity

Old 12-10-2009, 03:13 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I would hate to tow even a open trailer with tahoe.
Shrug. My '01 Tahoe 4wd with the crappy 5.3l motor pulled a heavy wood deck open with a 2400# Pro7 and the entire back packed with tools and spares with zero trouble. Even up the hill in to Laguna Seca.

My buddy pulled his 24ft enclosed with his '00 Tahoe 2wd with some minor upgrades for years without an issue, too. He was pulling a vintage 240Z in it.

Sure, a bigger truck is always better for towing, and more wheelbase is good, but if you're willing to be careful and respectful of what you have you can pull with the 1500s just fine.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:36 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

We rented an 2009 Tahoe. Not the same for some reason. My 1500 pick up with the 5.3 drives much better then the 09 Tahoe with 5.3.

either that or my wife and mother-in-law have put on weight ..

Old 12-10-2009, 04:45 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I gotta disagree with Chris on this one.......other than power, I love my 2500 Yukon XL compared to a Dually. Dually's are impractical for me, as they won't fit in a normal garage, and a crew-cab-long-bed won't fit ANYWHERE!

My 6.0L Yukon doesn't tow over the speed limit well (Drag becomes a burden about 60mph), but it's rock solid with my 24' trailer, and it stops just fine (when my trailer brakes work.....gotta fix that one of these days). I've loved some of the trucks I've had over the years, but none are as livable as my Yukon XL
Old 12-10-2009, 05:35 PM
stano
Safety Car

I'm at a coffee shop with the wife looking at invoice prices and the Tahoe was a dog! The Denali with 360 hp was better. Haven't driven the truck yet.

Thanks guys! I'll let you know what we end up with. The wife saw the Buick Enclave and liked it, obviously not for towing. Maybe a new truck for me is in the cards if she opts for the Buick. Hmmmm, I wonder if Tiger could get me a deal

Old 12-10-2009, 05:45 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

After stepping up to the 250/2500 diesel world last year, I will never tow without a 3/4 ton or better truck again. Power is one thing, but brakes and handling are what keep you safe and in control.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:12 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If you will be traveling through any hilly country or going long distances, I would go for a 2500HD with the DuraMax and Allison tranny. That will provide more than enough power for the load you will be towing. From what you said, the trailer, car, and cargo will probably be in the 8500 lb range and possibly more.

The DuraMax will provide good fuel mileage even when towing. Figure on 14 MPG or so on the flats. Just driving the truck alone and empty on cruise control at 65, some people have reported 22 MPG and more once the motor is broken in.

If you need the interior space, look at the Crew Cab body and a truck with the long bed. Chevy and GMC trucks have a great towing package that even includes a trailer brake controller so you won't need to buy anything except for a equalizer hitch.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:53 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Buy a vehicle not up to the task and the tow may be the most exciting part of the day My Excursion to my dooley is night and day. The Excursion you drive very attentive and the dooley you forget your towing anything at all. I know a dooley for single purpose is not for everyone but a bigger SUV would be my bottom.

White knuckle rides suck! There is no substitution for rubber, brakes and suspension period. Towing with the manufactures rated top limit it a horror.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:55 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm at a coffee shop with the wife looking at invoice prices and the Tahoe was a dog! The Denali with 360 hp was better. Haven't driven the truck yet.

Thanks guys! I'll let you know what we end up with. The wife saw the Buick Enclave and liked it, obviously not for towing. Maybe a new truck for me is in the cards if she opts for the Buick. Hmmmm, I wonder if Tiger could get me a deal

lucky Buick dumped him before the melt down.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:33 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

The 2500 rides better than the 1500 series, and the Duramax will get better mpg during normal driving, and significantly higher mpg towing than any of the gas motor options in any of the vehicles.

I have not towed with a dually, but the 2500HD is great with lots of gear, and an open steel trailer with the vette on the back. Hardly know it is back there, pulls it up the hills without a downshift in most cases, and no "worries" with wind or around semi's etc.
I have the CC regular bed fully loaded minus nav, and it rides tons better than the 1500 ext cab I had (06 2500 to 05 1500). I expect it to get even better when I throw the Bilsteins I bought for it on in about 3-4 months. The cc regular bed will fit in drive thrus, and it fits in parking lots without a lot of 12 point turns etc. Long bed is a lot more truck.

Right now I have to think that lots have trucks that are bought and paid for by now that dealers are looking to move.

G'luck
Fej

Get notified of new replies

To Yep! 'nother tow vehical question....

Old 12-11-2009, 12:05 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wtknght1
I will not tow an enclosed trailer without a dually. The power is one thing, but the stability factor alone is worth the jump from a 2500!!! Plus, duallys are just !
I understand what you are saying about the dually looking cool, but the only additional thing that a dually offers for towing over a truck like mine ( Crew cab, short bed 2500HD Duramax ) is the ability to handle more wieght in the bed, so pulling a huge gooseneck like yours it excels. I have no stability problems even with a tag, and would pull a goose anyday as long as it wasn't bearing down the rear with too much "bed load".

For the orginal poster, once you pull with a diesel you will never go back to a gas, you owe it to yourself to look for a deal on one.

Joe
Old 12-11-2009, 09:53 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Doug and I both have 2500HDs. His is a burb and I have a ext cab. Both have the 6.0 and 4l80e. We have had nothing but good luck with them. They pull nice, stable, and get ok mileage. They aren't the best thing in the world, but do the job and ride somewhat nice down the road. Dual rear tires are the best thing for towing, but in the snow, and everyday life they are kinda a pain.

Randy
Old 12-11-2009, 11:51 AM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Stan,

2500 HD with diesel. The only way to go.

I have had the 2500 HD gas engine previously and the diesel rocks. especially in the hills out here.

If you come out here for Nationals you have to come over Donner Pass and you will really love the diesel. I towed Aaron's car to Thunderhill for the 25 hrs last year with the 2500 HD diesel and it was a dream. Besides at 8 mpg with the gas engine you have to stop a lot.

Hope things are going well and have a great holiday season.

J.R.

Quick Reply: Yep! 'nother tow vehical question....