Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving Suit Recommendations/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 01:30 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Driving Suit Recommendations/Questions

Well, some friends and I are running a 91 civic in Chumpcar and Lemons next year so I am planning to grab a driving suit/hans to be a little safer.

What suit do you guys have, how do you like it and what size did you buy? (it would help to know your wt/ht)

I grabbed an Alpinestars GP Tech size 56 and it was way too small even though my weight (200) and ht (6'3") fit their sizing chart. I'm looking to return it for a 2 layer GP1 in size 60.

Your experiences?
Old 12-10-2009, 01:43 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Old 12-10-2009, 01:57 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Man, you're really going to have to try some suits on. I'm about the same size as you (6'4", 210) and found a huge variance in brands and sizes. I wanted one long enough to protect my ankles and wrists (and not look ridiculous, of course), but not be so huge that I was swimming in it - Villaneuve style.

Sparco suits seemed to fit me the best, I think I bought a 60? I'll check for you. Unfortunately, it also seemed that the pricier suits fit me better.

I also tried on Momo and another brand (cant' think of the stupid name) and there was a biiiiig difference from one brand's size 60 to another.

Find a place locally that will let you try a few on, make sure you sit down, preferably in a car first. A few of them seemed fine while standing, but crushed my junk when I sat down. Then buy the one that fits the best. Internet buying may not be a great option with your height.

And send me that quart of Mobil 1 you owe me

Last edited by ScaryFast; 12-10-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:29 PM
IPS Motorsports
Burning Brakes

I am nearly the same build as you, 6'1, 200 pounds broad shoulders, a fit build.

I wear an Oakley suit, love it fits great. Were a dealer so I may be preferential but its a great suit.

Last edited by IPS Motorsports; 12-10-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:30 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over the past 10 years, I've gone thru about 4 or 5 different suits and have been extremely happy with a G-Force suit I bought over a year ago. I'm 6'3, 195 and sent them my dimensions. As I recall, they made a "trial" suit, sent it to me to try, and then made the real one. I was very happy with their service, price and comfort, etc, etc!!
Old 12-10-2009, 02:37 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Looking at a Bell Motorsports suit now
Old 12-10-2009, 03:39 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wtknght1
IOver the past 10 years, I've gone thru about 4 or 5 different suits and have been extremely happy with a G-Force suit I bought over a year ago.!!
G-Force! That was the third brand I tried.

Thanks, Chris...
Old 12-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Racer2B
Advanced

You will find a HUGE variance between the brands, and even within the same brands in some situations.

Always try to try on a suit, or atleast talk to someone...tough to order this stuff online without any prior sizing experience...and even then its still personal preference. Some people like a tight suit, some like it loose, some people have longer upper bodies, some long legs, etc.

You can't go wrong with any of the major brands, but also look into the smaller name brands such as TeamDI, Lico, K1, etc, as you get a great bang for your buck. In those brands they are usually close to a Sparco Euro sizing. So for example a 56 will fit someone around 5'10 180lbs. You'll probably be a 62 in these, and a 60 in Alpine (they run small all over, especially gloves).

Do any of your teammates have suits you can try on?

Goodluck, you're going to have a blast in those races!
Old 12-10-2009, 07:00 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Looking at a Bell Motorsports suit now
I have a bell that is just OK. They gave me a great deal on it! The only thing that I'm not super happy about is the neck area and strap. Other then that, fits, hot as hell and blue so my wife likes it.

Randy
Old 12-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Feffman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I wear a Simpson (www.TeamSimpson.com) double layer. Fortunately, I've never had to test the suit, but Simpson's quality is second to none.

Feff
Old 12-12-2009, 09:54 AM
floor it
Racer

Default custom suite?/ Try henchman

here in indfianapolis is a legendary suit manufacturer. they are all custom nothing off the shelf. Have made hundreds of Indy drivers, drag racers and other guys suits. Also in the Movie LaMans the Gulf suits worn by Steve McQueen and the Ferrari driver were Henchmans.

their emblem is the crossed checkerd flags. You can see it in the movie. I have one of their 3 layer suites and like it a lot.
they can even put the FIA certiciation bage in it if you want.

Of course it is pricey but prolly the only suit you will ever need, friend of mine has been wearing the same one for 20 years...

Last edited by floor it; 12-12-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:38 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

http://www.hinchmanracewear.com/
Old 12-12-2009, 11:43 AM
floor it
Racer

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Nice job posting link,,, that is deffinately them... they had a suit in their office that had been in an oil fire and the guy walked away. to see the suit you would not beleive it.

I was very pleased to do business with them. actually I am considering paying them a visit. I have lost weight since I got the suit and may have it trimmed up a little..... They are just east of Indianapolis on US 52.....
Old 12-12-2009, 02:21 PM
midliferally
2nd Gear

Default Suit

6'5" and about 215. Sparco definitely fit best. Found a 2 layer on close-out. Sometimes they put the "odd" sizes on sale. Pays to try on as what felt O.K. standing did not sitting. Sparco def had more room for "the boys".
Old 12-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Racer2B
Advanced

Definitely check the closeouts this time of year, can get some awesome deals. I think Sparco already had their annual closeout sale, OG usually gets the best deals from Sparco, Saferacer has some decent deals too, and Driving Impressions had some great deals on Momo earlier this year. Just have to keep an eye out for the deals and you can get them.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:29 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Hey guys, could include the size of suit along with your ht/wt? I'm mainly trying to figure out what size matches what ht/wt in each brand. I haven't found the mfg website sizing guides to be accurate.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:15 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BQuicksilver
Hey guys, could include the size of suit along with your ht/wt? I'm mainly trying to figure out what size matches what ht/wt in each brand. I haven't found the mfg website sizing guides to be accurate.
That is for sure.

I have a sparko, size 62 I think

waist is way too big,
neck is too small.
Pant legs a bit too short.

6-2
200 lbs
34 waist
34 inseam
16 1/2 neck

I was looking at the bellmotorsports, Low cost or Impact or hinchman for custom made

If Chris has a custom made g-force, that may be the way to go.

Forget the fancy names, get a suit that fits properly and is comfortable.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:09 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I've always used Simpson and been happy with my suits. My current suit is one of their heavier three layer suits - really hot in the summer. I went to a helmet cooling system which really helped.

In every case I've bought suits, I've sent them detailed measurements and they've made the suit specifically for me. I've never bought a suit off a rack or of a stock size.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 12-14-2009, 09:17 PM
midliferally
2nd Gear

Default Suit size

Just looked at my suit size. It's a 64. I'm 6'5", 215. 17 in neck, 37 sleeve length shirt, 35 to 36 inseam 38 waist. In case you didn't read my above post, my suit is a discontinued Sparco 2 layer. Hope that helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Driving Suit Recommendations/Questions

Quick Reply: Driving Suit Recommendations/Questions