Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket LS7 ECM?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 04:06 PM
wmckeenster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default aftermarket LS7 ECM?

Hi Guys,

I am thinking about ripping out the stock ECM and replacing it with an aftermarket module (such as Motec etc.)....engine is an LS7

Anyone have any recommendations and approx costs to do so?
Old 12-11-2009, 05:22 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

What platform? C5? C6? Any AH/TCS/etc still on the car? Car still Drive by wire or Mechanical TB ?
Old 12-11-2009, 05:32 PM
wmckeenster
Racer

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports
What platform? C5? C6? Any AH/TCS/etc still on the car? Car still Drive by wire or Mechanical TB ?
C5 chassis but does it matter?

I would like to get rid of AH/TCS FOREVER but would like ABS...it sounds like this is impossible though??

Drive by wire now but mechanical TB could be added
Old 12-11-2009, 05:59 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

What are your goals with the new electronics? Added DATA? More control? ABS/ faster TC?
Old 12-11-2009, 06:59 PM
wmckeenster
Racer

What are your goals with the new electronics? Added DATA? More control? ABS/ faster TC?
To eliminate all the factory ECM stuff and simplify the entire system....more control for tuner, maybe
Old 12-12-2009, 02:14 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

How much do you want to do wiring, and how important is data logging? How about aftermarket dash/tach setup?
Old 12-12-2009, 02:22 PM
wmckeenster
Racer

How much do you want to do wiring, and how important is data logging? How about aftermarket dash/tach setup?
I plan on removing all factory wiring if I have to....I have a Racepak IQ3 dash and like it alot for data logging etc.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2009, 03:18 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

How does it communicate to the current engine setup, CAN?

From the sounds of it, I would run a 2000-2002 F body hot rod harness. Simple, tuning is easy, fast processor, mechanical TB, decently cheap and effective setup anyone in their garage can install. The loom needs 5-7 things hooked up inorder to make the engine run
Old 12-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

MAST Motorsports has an aftermarket ECU that is supposed to be pretty good: M90.

http://www.mastmotorsports.com/page....Packages&id=19
Old 12-12-2009, 05:51 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Mast seems like a good group of guys. You are from the same area that whole company came from

However, their products are still new to the market, and unproven.

With a factory 99-02 PCM, it can be tuned by anyone, hell I can tune it via Email with a good log and a few dyno pulls. Its very familiar to everyone.

The setup Im recommending is basically a late model version of the ASA stuff. GM isnt stupid, and their engine management was designed for the LS motors.

Since he already has a racepack, and KNOWS that software, its an easy swap for him.

I would recommend a Motec/SDL setup, but its pricey, hard to tune, wiring looms are custom, and difficult to manage from a hobby/club level racer.

He could put this setup in his car, give me basic engine data/injector size, and with in minutes, I can have it running.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mast seems like a good group of guys. You are from the same area that whole company came from

However, their products are still new to the market, and unproven.

With a factory 99-02 PCM, it can be tuned by anyone, hell I can tune it via Email with a good log and a few dyno pulls. Its very familiar to everyone.

The setup Im recommending is basically a late model version of the ASA stuff. GM isnt stupid, and their engine management was designed for the LS motors.

Since he already has a racepack, and KNOWS that software, its an easy swap for him.

I would recommend a Motec/SDL setup, but its pricey, hard to tune, wiring looms are custom, and difficult to manage from a hobby/club level racer.

He could put this setup in his car, give me basic engine data/injector size, and with in minutes, I can have it running.
I know the Mast guys pretty well, mostly through Texas A&M Formula SAE. I don't know much about their ECU package, other than it's one possible option.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:41 PM
FlamingZ06
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP

If you want to contact me offline, I am working on a couple of different solutions to the issues you mentioned. PM me if interested.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:16 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

I would personally stick with the factory PCM, it is very easy to pin out different wires as necessary without buying a whole new harness unless you would just rather do that.
Any good tuner can shut off any part of the PCM that you wish to not use, I run my car without traction control etc, and a cable throttle body, with a C5 operating system. It can be set up any way you wish, and is very reliable.
The only major benefit from the aftermarket PCM's IMO is wide open throttle corrections, otherwise almost everything else is available from the stock PCM.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:20 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

9 times out of 10 racecars that we build are with the factory computer. Like said above, they just work and work well. You aren't going to find much power or ease going to something super trick.

The F-body setups are cable, we have done a few with the factory gas pedal and it's pretty nice.

Randy
Old 12-15-2009, 07:46 PM
KBlanke
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
9 times out of 10 racecars that we build are with the factory computer. Like said above, they just work and work well. You aren't going to find much power or ease going to something super trick.

The F-body setups are cable, we have done a few with the factory gas pedal and it's pretty nice.

Randy
Old 12-16-2009, 11:40 AM
wmckeenster
Racer

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 12-16-2009, 12:14 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Any good tuner can shut off any part of the PCM that you wish to not use, I run my car without traction control etc, and a cable throttle body, with a C5 operating system. It can be set up any way you wish, and is very reliable.
This sounds like you're saying turning off the weird TPMS shutdown modes on the C6 is doable "by any good tuner"? Or is that some other xCM?

Get notified of new replies

To aftermarket LS7 ECM?

Quick Reply: aftermarket LS7 ECM?