Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Heel - Toe tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

You are correct about using fine muscle for fine control in a car. This also applies to things such as steering...pull down with the hand closest to the apex(right turn, pull down with the right arm) and only use the other hand to assit and stabilize.
This is not an approach which I would recommend. Following three-time F1 World Champion Ayrton Senna, use the outside hand to apply the most pressure when entering a corner; the inside hand just follows the outside hand's movement. On exit, the inside hand guides the movement to straighten the steering wheel.

Four-time F1 World Champion Alain Prost also advocates this approach to steering input. See Senna's Principles of Race Driving and Prost's Competition Driving.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:10 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tom,

I've experimented with the 'roll your leg', I think it has a lot of merit. It's not hard to do--good explanation.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:58 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Webz
Does the Photon know about this??
Heck, he paid half the fee and told me to go learn how to drive!!
Old 12-14-2009, 02:48 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have very narrow feet and the stock pedals are just a touch too far apart for me, so I made a slight mod. Here's the video I made of my C5, and my new C6 is identical and works perfectly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIivg...=youtube_gdata
Old 12-14-2009, 04:03 PM
worldsaway
Racer

I went out and sat in the car to check where I place my feet. My right foot is in line with the gas pedal, heel resting on floorboard. I can easily pivot and pick up the inside of the brake, and roll the gas by moving my knee.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:41 AM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Timz06
Just learn how to drive properly, pedal extensions are not necessary.

Tim
That is not correct. Just wearing different shoes could or doing the extensions.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:07 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Tim
Not necessary, but some pedal adjustment with add ons or whatever will probably help. Again, the OEM C6 setup is not the best but one should be able to make it work with a little practice. I did.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:23 PM
0Robert@SPEEDSOUTH
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by southern_son
Not necessary, but some pedal adjustment with add ons or whatever will probably help. Again, the OEM C6 setup is not the best but one should be able to make it work with a little practice. I did.
And the debate continues...and will likely never end.

Everyone's foot width and shoe width varies, just because some can reach both pedals easily, doesn't mean that goes for everyone. Even though I CAN reach both pedals, I can only barely do it, certainly not well enough to be confident at all times so I use a brake pedal extension so I can safely roll the ball of my foot to the accelerator for a perfect rev match everytime.

And this one will only take you one time before you do something about it! I have slipped my foot off before, years ago in another type of car, got it caught UNDER the brake pedal and on TOP of the accelerator, you talk about a white knuckle ride until I got my foot out of there, giving it jabs of throttle until I did...and of course I was supposed to be braking instead. The exact reason we sell the brake pedal extension with a side plate and with an abreviated corner so the roll is easy. Simple design, works like a champ! The only thing that could be improved beyond this is the DRM piece like what captain454 suggested or a spacer under the extension. One of the 2 will go on mine this winter.

Edit: Here's a link to it.
http://speedsouth.com/srg_southern_r.../i-294331.aspx

Last edited by Robert@SPEEDSOUTH; 12-16-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Elite Throttle Pedal and SRG Brake Pedal. I mounted the SRG pedal thru the holes versus using the straps that came with it. That mounting method does tilt the pedal a couple of degrees but it gives me a greater sense of security. The pedal can still be adjusted closer to the throttle pedal by moving mounting screws to the left 1 more set of holes.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:42 PM
fred_S
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Webz
Elite Throttle Pedal and SRG Brake Pedal. I mounted the SRG pedal thru the holes versus using the straps that came with it. That mounting method does tilt the pedal a couple of degrees but it gives me a greater sense of security. The pedal can still be adjusted closer to the throttle pedal by moving mounting screws to the left 1 more set of holes.

I ordered mine yesterday, that is a very good tip, moving the mounting screws to the left. Cant wait to get it.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:15 PM
hellrazr
Pro

Tim
I'm definitely not an expert myself, but when I've had professional race drivers get in my car and drive it, they are able to heel-toe perfectly pretty much right out of the gate. I don't think they have had much experience with stock pedal setup in my C5. So, maybe practice is the best advice..
Old 12-21-2009, 02:53 AM
fred_S
Pro

Originally Posted by hellrazr
I've had professional race drivers get in my car and drive it, they are able to heel-toe perfectly pretty much right out of the gate.
I'm sure that Michael Schumacher can steer a standard C6 round a track faster than I could a Z06, but I'm only a guy doing the best he can and I will take all the help possible, so my choice fell on the PFC track pedal.

Fred
Old 12-21-2009, 08:55 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

There is no substitute for seat time/practice...but comfort is a key component to the car. Every driver/body is different. If the driver is not comfortable, then you have to make adjustments until you are - period. That includes the seat, belts, helmet and yes, pedals too...whatever it takes. If heel-toe shifting is a distraction, fix it! If you are more comfortable with a bigger brake pedal (like I am), and it takes away a distraction, then that's a good thing.

The same can be said with the handling of the car, etc. If the car is oversteering/understeering too much for your comfort, fix it.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by wtknght1
There is no substitute for seat time/practice...but comfort is a key component to the car. Every driver/body is different. If the driver is not comfortable, then you have to make adjustments until you are - period. That includes the seat, belts, helmet and yes, pedals too...whatever it takes. If heel-toe shifting is a distraction, fix it! If you are more comfortable with a bigger brake pedal (like I am), and it takes away a distraction, then that's a good thing.

The same can be said with the handling of the car, etc. If the car is oversteering/understeering too much for your comfort, fix it.
Great advice.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:38 PM
fred_S
Pro

The trackpedal was delivered today, well it certainly makes a difference. I had some dry practice in the garage, it's snowing here, and I must say that it helps me just that much that I can now heel and toe without being a contortionist.

Fred
Old 01-08-2010, 12:46 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There is no right/wrong answer. I agree with Chris, comfort is key. You just don't want to be distracted by anything.

I run the Elite heel/toe wide pedal, I've gotten used to it, if I was doing it again, I'd just get their standard pedal (which is wider than the stocker).

I will say shoes play an important role. I have some old RJS I like better than my Piloti's, but the RJS are so uncomfy for walking around the paddock the rest of the time, I can't stand wearing them all day.

Left foot braking is on my 2010 "things to practice" list
Old 01-08-2010, 12:53 PM
fred_S
Pro

Originally Posted by drivinhard
Isn't left foot braking something they used to do in the old turbo cars to keep up the boost.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Heel - Toe tips?

Old 01-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,925 Likes on 5,331 Posts

Originally Posted by fred_S
Isn't left foot braking something they used to do in the old turbo cars to keep up the boost.
Its used by a lot of advanced drivers. I know a guy who used to be a pro solo competitor in a 66 with a two speed power glide. You can see puffs of smoke come off his tires as he brakes for a turn even though he still is on the throttle. Left foot braking helps when he comes off the corner since he didn't let the rpms drop as much.

Bill
Old 01-09-2010, 06:52 PM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I looked through the posts and don't think these have been provided yet (sorry if they are repeats). These videos helped me with two different techniques.

Got to love this classic from Senna even if you don't roll the foot....the loafers help :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8By2A...eature=related

This is the classic "bleep with the heel" video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuoZe...eature=related

I roll my foot (with a gas pedal extension) in the C5, roll my foot (with no extension) in the Miata, and use my heel in the 911.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by drivinhard
Yup. Tried it when running with Chin. I can see how it would be quicker, but right now I have to "think" too much about it, so I just went back to right foot only when on the clock.

Quick Reply: C6 Heel - Toe tips?