Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Off The Air Bags?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 09:32 AM
pistolpete817
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Turn Off The Air Bags?

Part of the discussion at the Christmas party last night was about air bags and open road racing. The people in the group run the Texas, Nebraska and Nevada closed highway open road races. Several drivers said they had been urged by their mechanics to turn off the passenger side air bag and probably the driver side also during the race. All the cars are using 6 point harnesses and full face helmets running for average speeds of 120 mph to unlimited.

The reasoning was that the air bag can deploy with very little frontal impact. We have all hit varmits during these races. A road runner or other small critter makes quite a splash at 140 mph. On the other hand, a buzzard hit can ruin your whole day. The road runner impact has never deployed an air bag on my car, but the possibility certainly exists. The bag popping out at 140 mph could cause a disaster that shouldn’t have happened.

On my C6, the passenger air bag is easy to turn off. The driver side is a bit more work. Before I turned off the passenger side I would certainly talk it over with my navigator.

But do I even want to think about turning off either air bag during a race?

Anyone with experienced based opinions to offer?

Thanks in advance.
Merry Christmas
Old 12-20-2009, 03:48 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pistolpete817
Part of the discussion at the Christmas party last night was about air bags and open road racing. The people in the group run the Texas, Nebraska and Nevada closed highway open road races. Several drivers said they had been urged by their mechanics to turn off the passenger side air bag and probably the driver side also during the race. All the cars are using 6 point harnesses and full face helmets running for average speeds of 120 mph to unlimited.

The reasoning was that the air bag can deploy with very little frontal impact. We have all hit varmits during these races. A road runner or other small critter makes quite a splash at 140 mph. On the other hand, a buzzard hit can ruin your whole day. The road runner impact has never deployed an air bag on my car, but the possibility certainly exists. The bag popping out at 140 mph could cause a disaster that shouldn’t have happened.

On my C6, the passenger air bag is easy to turn off. The driver side is a bit more work. Before I turned off the passenger side I would certainly talk it over with my navigator.

But do I even want to think about turning off either air bag during a race?

Anyone with experienced based opinions to offer?

Thanks in advance.
Merry Christmas
you know...i have pondered this also. as you guys know this is what killed princess Diane. the chauffeur's airbag popped when he was tapped by the poparatzi's car and he lost vision and hit that damn concrete steel column

also i have experienced head on collisions at the track into walls with street cars and the bag doesn't even touch you if the stock belts are set real tight.

so can this be done with a programmer or do you need to remove the sensors?

i don't how many times i have gone into corners hot and everyone is braking early and i have to stand on the brakes to prevent a rear end collision. damn pussies.

would be a bitch in a high speed straight then entering a sweeper to tap someones *** and then lose vision from a fricken airbag
Old 03-05-2010, 03:36 AM
Coldmale
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys

This post has NOT been thoroughly answered.

Since my braking has improved to just over 1g, the dam red drivers air bag light is now on. I dont really know what that means.

Do you guys immobalise the air bags prior to tracking the cars Yes/No?

If so - HOW?
Old 03-05-2010, 07:41 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I don't think a critter is going to deply your airbag. I've hit a deer at high speed and never had an airbag pop, and I'd personally like to have it work if I hit a barricade at high speed.

However, in most cars, you simply pop the steering wheel cover and disconnect the wire. It was simple in the C5 (you could even just pull the fuse), but I haven't attempted it in the c6. I actually imagine if you disconnect the airbag wire in the seat harness it would disable the steering wheel bag as well, but that is just speculation.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:22 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Coldmale
Guys

This post has NOT been thoroughly answered.

Since my braking has improved to just over 1g, the dam red drivers air bag light is now on. I dont really know what that means.

Do you guys immobalise the air bags prior to tracking the cars Yes/No?

If so - HOW?
our guys usually take them out
Old 03-20-2010, 12:17 PM
hookem79
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The local track requires a 6 point harness and hans as well as a disabled air bag. So I use the search tool to get an answer and get teased. Does anyone know if there is a fuse that can be pulled to temporarily turn off the air bag and where it is located??
Old 03-20-2010, 03:02 PM
sundiego
Instructor

With 6 points and a full face helmet mine are absolutely disconnected.

1. They won't help with the above equipment.

2. They might hurt you if they do hit your helmet.

3. They are expensive to replace, and silly to replace if they didn't help.

4. Track accidents can be multiple impact, and you don't need to be distracted.

5. What the above posters said about animal hits, other car taps etc.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:20 PM
hookem79
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

is there a fuse that I can pull or do I have to go into the steering wheel??
Old 03-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Coldmale
Racer

Originally Posted by hookem79
is there a fuse that I can pull or do I have to go into the steering wheel??
Same question?

Where is the fuse?

Cheers
Old 03-21-2010, 07:36 PM
sundiego
Instructor

Bump.

My Corvette is a vintage racer, so no bags.

My Vipers just require a fuse pulled.

Corvette track guys, which fuse, or is there more to it?

Get notified of new replies

To Turn Off The Air Bags?

Quick Reply: Turn Off The Air Bags?