Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Hawk Blue 9012

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 03:47 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Thoughts on Hawk Blue 9012

Looking for some input on the Hawk Blue pads for HPDE events. I know there is lots of fans of the DTC 70 pads but trying to find a cost effective good pad. I run stock pads on the street an have used them on track but moving to sticky tires and looking for a better pad. Anyone had good or bad luck with these pads?
Old 12-23-2009, 04:00 PM
flink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blues have a reputation for being very abrasive, hence chewing rotors fast.

The ht-10 would be a decent budget pad, but they won't last as long as the dtc pads if driven hard due to a lower max operating temp.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:06 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

clean the dust off the wheels immediatly after the day. if it gets any moisture on it, your wheel finish will be ruined.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:19 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by longdaddy
clean the dust off the wheels immediatly after the day. if it gets any moisture on it, your wheel finish will be ruined.
AMEN to that. Also make sure that water isn't on the driveway, or your going to have a permante stain on it too.

They do work, they take some heat to get them to work correctly, and they eat up rotors.

Older pad design and there are a number of better selections out there.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:34 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
AMEN to that. Also make sure that water isn't on the driveway, or your going to have a permante stain on it too.

They do work, they take some heat to get them to work correctly, and they eat up rotors.

Older pad design and there are a number of better selections out there.
Good info here ... If they eat up rotors it may not be much more of a good deal....

Using a set of dedicated track wheels so not to concerned about the finish .... Do the HT 10 eat up rotors just as much? Guess its them the 14 or just jump into the DTC 60
Old 12-23-2009, 05:45 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've only run Blues on lighter cars and they will destroy rotors, especially if the pad isn't up to temperature. As others have said, they will quickly eat your wheels, too, if the dust gets wet at all. The Blacks are the same. I plan to throw all my Blue/Black pads out for the "other" cars and run at least DTC60s or some other brand/compound. The Blues were "the" pad over a decade ago... things have advanced since then. A lot.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:54 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Blues will ruin your rims, no matter how quickly you clean the dust off.
Blues will chew your rotors to pieces if you do not get them HOT
With my Mustang that weighs about the same and is slightly more front end balance I would replace rotors every other set of brake pads.

On my 92 I had EBC yellows, they lasted forever. Were not too bad on the rotors, I did not like how they worked on the track. I ran Carbotech XP10 on the front, they were a little less rotor friendly. But they stop like you hit a brick wall. I'm now running xp12/8 and after 11 track days they are still in great shape. After 4 years its finally time to replace the rotors.

I'd like to try the DTC70/60 combo next year, not sure I will though since they seem to crack rotors (see Jason).

I would not reccomend the Blues. I did not like the EBC yellow so I wouldn't reccomend them either.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:08 PM
flink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EBC have a blue compound now - higher temperature than the yellow. I used them for one day and found them to be quite good, even when dead cold.

They transfer large amounts of material to the rotors and emit more hot-brake smells than any other pad I've used.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:18 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I haven't used them in 8 years. Blues do a good job of grinding the rotors down. Good way to resurface the rotor. They are a very high torque pad. All you have to do is brush your foot across the brake pedal and you have a lot of stopping force. Dust is bad (it really isn't dust it is the iron shaved off your rotors) and will do a job on the wheels and the car's paint if it gets wet. In the stock C5 caliper they didn't seem to taper as much as other pads. Might be due to the high torque value and the lack of pedal force required to get that torque.

Bill
Old 12-24-2009, 01:16 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I haven't used them in 8 years. Blues do a good job of grinding the rotors down. Good way to resurface the rotor. They are a very high torque pad. All you have to do is brush your foot across the brake pedal and you have a lot of stopping force. Dust is bad (it really isn't dust it is the iron shaved off your rotors) and will do a job on the wheels and the car's paint if it gets wet. In the stock C5 caliper they didn't seem to taper as much as other pads. Might be due to the high torque value and the lack of pedal force required to get that torque.

Bill
this was exactly my experience - very hard to modulate, pretty much on/off pedal. now thinking back, I also remember that I didn't start seeing heavy taper until I stopped using hawk blues (was the first track pad I put in)
Old 12-24-2009, 10:58 AM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

DTC's will also imbed little shreds of metal in the rims, so I wouldn't use them with your best set of rims either. (i.e. have dedicated track rims) Good pad esp when paired with Hoosiers, etc. I think they would be too much on street tires though, not sure of your tire selection. -Dan
Old 12-24-2009, 04:00 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Ok thanks for all the help guys ... Learned the Blues are not for me or this car....

I think I will go with the XP10 / 9s or XP12 / 10 combo, dedicated track wheels with Kuhmo V710 or Hoosier R6 .... :-) was hoping i could get a set of pads that were lower priced but seems like the trade off is not worth it...
Old 12-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
Ok thanks for all the help guys ... Learned the Blues are not for me or this car....

I think I will go with the XP10 / 9s or XP12 / 10 combo, dedicated track wheels with Kuhmo V710 or Hoosier R6 .... :-) was hoping i could get a set of pads that were lower priced but seems like the trade off is not worth it...
xp12 front xp10 rear contact me by pm ,email adam@ctbrakes.com or phone 216-780-8825 I would like to know more about your setup.

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on Hawk Blue 9012

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Hawk Blue 9012