Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you like / dislike about HPDE events?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Todd Z
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you like / dislike about HPDE events?

Looking for opinions on what everybody likes or dislikes about HPDE events. I don't like long meetings that don't get to the point. I like what CHIN does with their happy hour at the end of every day. With some events I would like to see run groups organized a bit better. Looking for all opinions god and bad. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing I CAN'T STAND, is that I don't get to go often enough.

The few I have attended have been set up and run virtually flawlessly in my opinion (shameless plug for Jason/Katech, Mike, and Autobahn), i.e., just enough meeting time to get everyone squared away, plenty of track time, sticking to schedule, fantastic facilities, great guest pro drivers, plenty of great instructors, great food, great camaraderie - the list goes on and on.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:09 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

really dislike:

people who don't maintain/inspect their cars and then become everyone else's problems.

clubs that cut sessions short because they cannot organize efficiently.

instructors who get in your car and either don't talk at all or cannot stop chatting.

love everything else.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:10 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're painful to my wallet. Oh well, gotta pay to play.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:28 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by longdaddy
really dislike:

people who don't maintain/inspect their cars and then become everyone else's problems.

clubs that cut sessions short because they cannot organize efficiently.
I'll add:

Like: A good mix of cars from different marques with similar capability to my own. It is a privilege to be out on track with them and very nice to see how you keep up with them driving well within your own comfort.

Like: maximum on track time. Enforcement of the rules (especially passing), strictly and uniformly interpreted.

Like: To spend time before the session up on grid to meet the other drivers and match faces to cars so I can be social later.

Like: Sunny with high temps in the mid 60s.

Like: Track in good condition

Like: Right turns not too long w/o extreme banking

Dislike: Instructor attitude when they are careless/very, very late w/showing up for session. Instructor attitude if so conservative so as to discourage passing at beginning of the straights w/passing signal already given just for the sake of learning more (being pinned frustrates and defeats purpose).

Dislike: Clubs actions when they change the schedule to cut track time to go home early or cancel very early in rain without giving it a chance to turn around.

Dislike: rain. Been there, done that, no safety issues driving in it, even Hurricane Ivan. Just not worth the cost. Not very fun.

Dislike: track w/ long left sweepers or banking. Seems bad for the car.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Exotica
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2

Dislike: track w/ long left sweepers or banking. Seems bad for the car.
Is this for oil flow reasons, or other? Please explain.

****edit: didn't mean to hijack. Sothpaw you can PM if you would prefer.****

Last edited by Exotica; 12-24-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:06 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Don't like. not racing

Like teaching newbies

Last edited by L98Terror; 12-24-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Dislike waiting for point by. I like how in NASA you can advance to HPDE 4 with open passing and also TT.

Dislike run groups with few cars. I know the track well and it can get lonely!
Old 12-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Like it cuz of the track time. Any day at the track is better than a day at the office.. Is even better when you can run with some friends in like vehicles - otherwise it does get old.

As instructor, it does get very busy when you have 2 or even more students. If you have problems with your car or are there for test & tune, it's hard to find the time. Students come first. Never want to be one of those "bad" instructors....

But I mix it up with several different clubs at several different tracks and even several different cars (when one blows up...) with some Time Trials to mixed in also.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:00 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Dislikes; I am in west Tenn. the only track that was close was Memphis Motorsports Park and now its closed
Somebody please build a track near my area...
Tech inspection is not tight enough at any of the events I have been too in my opinion...
I can't sleep at night-especially now that its winter springtime can't get here soon enough!
My savings account is getting LOW!

Likes: all the events I have been too so far give you plenty of track time!
The people you meet are all very nice and treat you like they have known you forever...
Turning your car loose without worrying about radar, cars pulling out of driveways, deer, stop signs, red lights etc.
Barber Motorsports Park being just 4 hours away!

Now I know what these Vettes were built to do!
Old 12-24-2009, 08:42 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

don't like those who need to give point bye's in certain groups and don't (they should be black flagged and given warnings and/or moved groups)

don't like those who on the first lap are "racing" everyone in front of them and passing everyone bc some of us are actually getting tires/brakes up to temp and they certainly must have just taken off the tire warmers from theres..
Old 12-24-2009, 10:29 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Like max track time. Like the clubs with good training programs so the advanced groups actually have advanced drivers (PCA for example). Like meeting new folks, by and large everyone is very nice and friendly. Like seeing high end and exotic or unusual cars. Like wheeling the corvette around, its such a great car to drive. Like a good mix of straights and corners. Really like VIR, what a great track.

Dislike the high cost. Dislike long trains. Really dislike it when I'm in a train, waiting my turn and the jack a** behind me thinks he needs to be inches off my bumper. Dislike driving in the rain (although it beats sitting at a desk). Dislike cracking rotors and cording tires.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:35 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dislikes:

People that don't lift when I'm trying to pass because they think a Corvette is faster than their car, or I must have a pumped up motor (Latter mostly for Porsche drivers).

People that don't pay attention and don't get out of the way when I get there.

Not enough track time.

NCRC drivers are doing race practice in the advanced group and there is no way to cleanly pass 5 Miatas and a few other race cars that are grouped together.

Gas at the track shouldn't cost double what it costs in town.

That although I do ok, in reality I suck compared to real racers.

Dog
Old 12-24-2009, 11:35 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by meldog21
People that don't pay attention and don't get out of the way when I get there.
Flaggers need to throw the blue when you're closing in on people... and if it's ignored in an HPDE they should be black flagged.

Reminds me of the Spring Mountain Corvette Days event I was at... there was a yellow at one station, all passing had to be with a point-by, and for some reason the driver in front of me decided a yellow at a single station meant to crawl around the entire track. Not a single blue flag flew, and certainly no black, several laps parading around...
Old 12-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Drew M
Team Owner

Originally Posted by L98Terror
Don't like. not racing

Like teaching newbies

too many putt putters too.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:58 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Dislike: buying tires.
Like: pulling Gs
Old 12-25-2009, 05:16 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I hate rain.

I hate trains. I usually pull down pit lane to get off the train.

Richard Newton
Intervention Motorsports

Get notified of new replies

To What do you like / dislike about HPDE events?

Old 12-25-2009, 10:02 AM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I like just about everything at HPDE's. Meeting people and having fun. The only things I dislke are, drivers who drag race you down a straight, and drivers who wait till you ride their ***, then they finall point you bye. It really slows your momentum, I try point bye faster drivers without slowing them at all.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
don't like those who on the first lap are "racing" everyone in front of them and passing everyone bc some of us are actually getting tires/brakes up to temp and they certainly must have just taken off the tire warmers from theres..
I'm the opposite there, I get tired of being stuck behind trains at the start with people driving to slow. The tires won't get warmed up with how slow some people go. It's pretty common to lose the first two or three laps from this. That can be nearly half a session!
Old 12-25-2009, 11:45 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

dislike not being able to rent transponders after having enough experience otherwise seems like pissing in the wind to not know your lap times and if you are improving.

people that dont lift on some of the straights after a point by

also at the local track here it seems as if the only place that ever throws the passing flag is the one before longest straight, even thought there is more corner workers by the other passing zones.

Last edited by dvandentop; 12-25-2009 at 11:48 AM.

Quick Reply: What do you like / dislike about HPDE events?