Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ideas for 2 pices rotors for the track?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 09:52 PM
danbo56
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ideas for 2 pices rotors for the track?

I'm think about swapping over to 2 piece rotors for my HPDE track events. I've looked at Coleman and Racing Brake. These are just for the track. I'm looking to get something that brakes better, runs cooler and weighs less than my DBA's. I currently run Carbotech 12 pads. They stop really great, don't eat the paint but go away quickly. I run in the Black/instructor groups.

Any ideas?

tanks
Old 12-27-2009, 10:04 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DRM, HardbarUSA, PerformanceAFX, PFC, ... there are plenty to choose from. I don't think rotors are going to help you brake any better, though...
Old 12-27-2009, 11:32 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
DRM, HardbarUSA, PerformanceAFX, PFC, ... there are plenty to choose from. I don't think rotors are going to help you brake any better, though...
Old 12-28-2009, 06:37 AM
danbo56
Burning Brakes

hummm... That's an opinion I did not expect.

OK.... why not? They should run cooler, be less prone to cracking, last longer and be lighter. I find myself trying to brake later in search for faster times. I'm cooking up my DBA at VIR

thx
dan
Old 12-28-2009, 07:53 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

have cooling ducts? Racing Brake as far as I remember has not faired well with all it's claims. Doubt a 2 piece will run that much cooler. All two piece rotors are not lighter than a 1 piece.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:14 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by danbo56
hummm... That's an opinion I did not expect.

OK.... why not? They should run cooler, be less prone to cracking, last longer and be lighter. I find myself trying to brake later in search for faster times. I'm cooking up my DBA at VIR

thx
dan
You want a more aggressive brake pad then. But then again, the fastest times on VIR are made up in the corners, not the brake zones into T1 and the end of the back straight.

Watch Chris here: 2:05.26 C5Z t1 car IIRC with Carbotech pads and stock C5 rotors.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 12-28-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:40 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

even rotors with aluminum hats don't necessarily save you any moment-of-inertia, as the inertia goes up exponentially as the radius increases, and since the heavy part (the friction ring) is at extremity (and often very beafy), your MOI will often be just as high as with 1-piece rotors. However, the aluminum hat can be effective as a heat sink.

You might want to consider StopTech's rotors. I tried RB's and was very dissapointed. I have a full set for a C6Z06 just sitting around not being used.

I know nothing about your driving style, but if you are losing brakes at VIR regularly, you might want to work on your braking style. Over-braking and braking unnecessarily (to "plant the nose" for instance) often leads to brake issues. VIR is pretty easy on brakes.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:18 AM
danbo56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
even rotors with aluminum hats don't necessarily save you any moment-of-inertia, as the inertia goes up exponentially as the radius increases, and since the heavy part (the friction ring) is at extremity (and often very beafy), your MOI will often be just as high as with 1-piece rotors. However, the aluminum hat can be effective as a heat sink.

You might want to consider StopTech's rotors. I tried RB's and was very dissapointed. I have a full set for a C6Z06 just sitting around not being used.

I know nothing about your driving style, but if you are losing brakes at VIR regularly, you might want to work on your braking style. Over-braking and braking unnecessarily (to "plant the nose" for instance) often leads to brake issues. VIR is pretty easy on brakes.

I'm not fading them..... but I thought 2 piece rotors would be a good weight savings and run cooler. I like the carbotech 12's they stop great. Better than other stuff I've tried. But they are $$$ and they dont last. The last event I ran at VIR I was chasing a Porsche GT-2 and an Porsche X-50. I could not out accelerate them, but I was able to out brake them.
I'm just thinking out loud about future mods..... Brakes? DeWitts? LG coilovers? I can only spend just so much on mods if i wanna drive it too
Old 12-28-2009, 10:13 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Most of the two peice rotors are better then the stockers because of the metal and design of the rotor. Our setups last about a year of average HPDE type driving. The harder you drive the fast they wear out. We normally see about 15-30 hours of racing on a set of rotors.

Like these guys said, you aren't going to be slowing down faster, just less down time in the pits fixing cracked 30 dollar rotors.

The two peice is easier on the wheel bearings, because of it alumium design.

Randy
Old 12-28-2009, 12:37 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Old 12-28-2009, 09:15 PM
71corv
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

You can contact Justin Abbott at Zip Products (804-746-2290) about the rotors. I think they have a 2 piece rotor made for the track.

Gene
Old 12-29-2009, 03:36 PM
joe@zip
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 71corv
You can contact Justin Abbott at Zip Products (804-746-2290) about the rotors. I think they have a 2 piece rotor made for the track.

Gene
Here they are

Corvette Brakes

The rears have the provisions for parking brake as well.
Corvette Tech Articles
Old 12-29-2009, 05:53 PM
haikun
Racer

A side note, avoid drilled or dimpled since they will crack fast !

/Hakan
Old 12-29-2009, 06:56 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Check out the StopTech 2-piece rotors you'll be glad you did.
I believe pricing went down on there 13" stuff. Don't only compair initial cost look at the cost of replacing rotors. StopTechs will be about $145 per ring for 13".
Old 12-29-2009, 07:12 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Who has two piece rotors we can use on the rear set-up of a C5 Z06 with stock calipers and stock size rotor of 305mm or up to 320mm?

No parking brake accommodation is needed with this two piece rotor set-up.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:28 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by Olitho
Who has two piece rotors we can use on the rear set-up of a C5 Z06 with stock calipers and stock size rotor of 305mm or up to 320mm?

Talk to Gary Hoffman @ Hardbar or Robert @ Performance AFX, they both have them but they aren't listed on their websites.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:21 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

I have DBA 2 piece rotors, and love them.

KNS brakes on the forum here will hook you up. It was a hard sell for me, but I've never regretted it!

Get notified of new replies

To ideas for 2 pices rotors for the track?

Old 12-30-2009, 11:13 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho

Oli,

I have the 2 piece rear for the C5 with or without the parking brake. We use Coleman Racing rotors and machine the aluminum hats ourselves. They are 100% made in the USA, directional, correctly vented, slotted only - no holes, and a direct bolt in replacement. If you want the setup without the parking brake, you do need to remove the parking brake.

Give me a call if we can help or answer any other questions.
Robert Finlayson
Performance AFX Motorsports
815-254-2631
Old 12-31-2009, 04:14 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Robert....

Sent you PM about pricing for C5 rotors.........
Old 12-31-2009, 06:17 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
Oli,

I have the 2 piece rear for the C5 with or without the parking brake. We use Coleman Racing rotors and machine the aluminum hats ourselves. They are 100% made in the USA, directional, correctly vented, slotted only - no holes, and a direct bolt in replacement. If you want the setup without the parking brake, you do need to remove the parking brake.

Give me a call if we can help or answer any other questions.
Robert Finlayson
Performance AFX Motorsports
815-254-2631

Thanks Robert!

For those who want to be in the know, I just ordered a set of the AFX 2-piece rotors for the rear of my #22 T1 car. They should be in next week. This weekend I am pulling the parking brake hardware and getting the car ready to test on January 9th before my first race of the season on January 23rd.

I will report back the weight saving on the rotors and the parking brake hardware. 12 lbs is expected for just the rotors. My guess is 10 lbs for the P-brake hardware.

Robert and his team was great to work with.

Quick Reply: ideas for 2 pices rotors for the track?