Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NJMP sued by local town for excessive noise...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 04:58 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Default NJMP sued by a group in the local town for excessive noise...

I recently learned that a group of people in the town surrounding the New Jersey Motorsports Park (NJMP) filed a lawsuit based on what they say is excessive track noise. They even created their own website. Had anyone heard of this? Seems to me they should have raised their concerns when the track was first being planned and designed, not years later...

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 01-04-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:04 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Almost as much fun as Laguna Seca where the people complaining about noise moved in well after the track existed and then started complaining about it...
Old 12-31-2009, 05:12 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Concerned citizens group, not the town.

According to the web site:

"4,500- the approximate number of homes within the 3-mile noise zone."

I think most of the houses were there before the track??? What are the noise limits at the track?

The web site states they are not seeking the closure of the track. Sure hope calm heads on both sides find an answer.

Frank G should know more...

Dean
(ex-Jersey boy)
Old 12-31-2009, 06:14 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The same thing happened with our local track They built a track, then everyone started building around it and problems started.

Pretty much every airport in the USA has the same problem.

Randy
Old 12-31-2009, 06:15 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

There was a track in Phoenix that was built right next to freaking luke AFB and the retarded retired people there got it shutdown due to noise. You live next to a F-16 base people, if you didn't want noise, maybe you should have moved elsewhere?
Old 12-31-2009, 07:03 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kentz06
Concerned citizens group, not the town.

According to the web site:

"4,500- the approximate number of homes within the 3-mile noise zone."

I think most of the houses were there before the track??? What are the noise limits at the track?

The web site states they are not seeking the closure of the track. Sure hope calm heads on both sides find an answer.

Frank G should know more...

Dean
(ex-Jersey boy)

Regardless of what the website may say, there is a SINGLE individual that is causing all these hassles. She is an elderly lady and ANYTHING that doesn't sound like nature is an offense to her.

Please note: NJMP has been built right next to the Millville airport, in fact it is on airport ground. The airport operates business jets and many daily flights of noisy aircraft (many are multi-engined), much noisier to the than the noise generated by cars at the track.

Track noise concerns were addressed during construction by building an enormous noise-control wall at the end of the Lightning track. This was approved by all the local and state authorities.

This lady will not be satisfied until the track is closed or she dies, whichever occurs first.

We'll see how this develops, but it is not anything new.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 12-31-2009, 07:30 PM
undertaker
Race Director

Location: ECS : WTF did you break now and HTF did you break it this time
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll happily continue driving my straight piped 427 around the track and hope the neigbhors enjoy the music....
Old 12-31-2009, 08:42 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mgarfias
There was a track in Phoenix that was built right next to freaking luke AFB and the retarded retired people there got it shutdown due to noise. You live next to a F-16 base people, if you didn't want noise, maybe you should have moved elsewhere?
THEY ARE OPENING IT BACK UP
Old 12-31-2009, 09:11 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Where does she live, I can pay her a visit and make her a NJ offer that she can't refuse. seriously, this pure bull ****. Same thing is happening at E-town. Further, on the north end of my town is the township dump. 5-7 years ago all of these 3/4 million dollar homes were built on the land surrounding the dump. Now the newbies want the dump closed becasue of the smell in summer, and the fact that seagulls dirty their roofs, driveways and cars. 1st three rules of realestate, location, location, location.
Same thing happened in the towns surrounding McGuirs AFB, so the USAF re-routed their flight paths
Old 01-01-2010, 02:06 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyguns
THEY ARE OPENING IT BACK UP
Crap, and I just left too.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:40 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Harvey Segel is a very smart man. I am sure he has many of those City or county commissioners in his pockets.

He owns NJMP and Long team Lease of VIR.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:18 AM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I wonder how much of this is truely about noise and how much is just about do-gooders that see an opportunity to impose their will on others, especially those having fun with their hard earned money.

I am surprised some eco-idiots have not been picketing tracks all over due to poor gas mileage cars.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:23 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

IIRC there was a similar noise lawsuit down at Barber in Alabama.

The locals LOST. Barber won.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:15 AM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
Regardless of what the website may say, there is a SINGLE individual that is causing all these hassles. She is an elderly lady and ANYTHING that doesn't sound like nature is an offense to her.

Please note: NJMP has been built right next to the Millville airport, in fact it is on airport ground. The airport operates business jets and many daily flights of noisy aircraft (many are multi-engined), much noisier to the than the noise generated by cars at the track.

Track noise concerns were addressed during construction by building an enormous noise-control wall at the end of the Lightning track. This was approved by all the local and state authorities.

This lady will not be satisfied until the track is closed or she dies, whichever occurs first.

We'll see how this develops, but it is not anything new.

Frank Gonzalez
Same thing is going on at Roebling Road outside Savannah Ga, One older woman with nothing else to do!!! Causing trouble for a track thats been there for 50 years!!!
Old 01-01-2010, 09:41 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Roebing is the one track, at least during SCCA races that does impost noise limits.

Turn downs are a great little cheap pipe.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:01 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

The kicker about RRR is they only measure Db at one point on track, just past the Start/Finish line. To keep the car under the noise limit, you just need to breathe the throttle at the S/F line or lift early for T1. Then back on the loud pedal for the rest of the lap.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:13 PM
0Finspeed
Former Vendor

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

The U.S. still needs a "loser pays" rule pertaining to legal expenses, it would stop a lot of this BS; the lawyers wouldn't have it though.

Get notified of new replies

To NJMP sued by local town for excessive noise...

Old 01-01-2010, 02:35 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I would think the locals will get invovled, just because of all the local revenue that is generated from the race track. The whole town is making money because of the track.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:28 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

The chick needs something better to do.

Our business coach does a lot with us on determining personality types. She is over obsessive and needs to be the center of attention, once she is done with this she will move onto something else.

Check out the website, more words there than in the dictionary. I bet she is just a joy to be around.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:41 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

When I was walking our wooded lot in 2005, it was the saturday Petite Lemans was running. I could hear the music through the trees.

I told the seller "I'll take it"

Quick Reply: NJMP sued by local town for excessive noise...