Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those running race seats in C6 - Sliders, Mounting and Dash Light Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 10:05 PM
m3to335
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Those running race seats in C6 - Sliders, Mounting and Dash Light Questions

Updated: New questions in a post below...

I just picked up a set of Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, Hardbar and harness (need another) for the Z. I'm getting ready to throw them in but had a few questions.

1) What are the affects of unplugging the seat weight sensors, seat belt plug and so forth. I havent yanked the drivers seat yet, but the passanger seat seems to have a fancy hall sensor or something of that nature on the slider. Whats up with that? (never mind, I know what this is for).

2) Has anyone mocked up an adapter to go from the stock slider bolt pattern to the standard 11x13" bolt pattern on the aftermarket seats? I pulled the OEM sliders off and it seems maybe possible. I have a waterjet and a full machine shop at my disposal so it wouldn't be too hard to something up if need be.

3) Pending its not possible to use the OEM sliders, do all the "shell type" race seats share the same type of sliders, or is it seat dependent?

4) Who has the best deal on sliders (pending I need one)? It blows my MIND that those things are $100 on soloracer.

Last edited by m3to335; 01-03-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:21 AM
m3to335
Pro

Not a hot topic huh?
Old 01-03-2010, 09:27 AM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 01-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by m3to335
I just picked up a set of Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, Hardbar and harness (need another) for the Z. I'm getting ready to throw them in but had a few questions.

1) What are the affects of unplugging the seat weight sensors, seat belt plug and so forth. I have a C6 coupe that I have put seats in both sides. I am not sure if a "Z" has a telescoping steering wheel, but if so you will want to extend the steering wheel before disconnecting the seat. That function is disabled once the seat is taken out. The seat belt light will go on unless you want to remove the module from under the seat and reinstall with the race seat.I havent yanked the drivers seat yet, but the passanger seat seems to have a fancy hall sensor or something of that nature on the slider. Whats up with that? Did not have this issue on my car. I disconnected and pulled the passenger seat w/o any issue.

2) Has anyone mocked up an adapter to go from the stock slider bolt pattern to the standard 11x13" bolt pattern on the aftermarket seats? I pulled the OEM sliders off and it seems maybe possible. I have a waterjet and a full machine shop at my disposal so it wouldn't be too hard to something up if need be. Hardbar has seat mount brackets. You can also purchase OEM passenger sliders and fab up an adapter. I did that for my Kirkey's

3) Pending its not possible to use the OEM sliders, do all the "shell type" race seats share the same type of sliders, or is it seat dependent? No idea.

4) Who has the best deal on sliders (pending I need one)? It blows my MIND that those things are $100 on soloracer. That is cheap compared to OEM sliders or other adapters.
Try a search, there have been alot of posts on seat installs. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:26 AM
m3to335
Pro

Yeah I'm currently weeding through endless posts about stock belts, safety concerns, airbag lights etc etc etc. I'm going to blow my brains out.

Do you have any pics of what you mocked up for the Kirkey's? It "looks" like all I need to do is either buy or make a side mount, with one simple bend, to connect from the stock tracks to the side of the race seat.

Long story short, your saying the seat belt light goes on as well as the airbag light. Does the seat belt cause that annoying "ding ding ding" as well? Also, does the Pfadt plug make both lights go out and let the wheel telescope or does it only do the telescoping + air bag light?

Thanks again!

Last edited by m3to335; 01-03-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Yeah I'm currently weeding through endless posts about stock belts, safety concerns, airbag lights etc etc etc. I'm going to blow my brains out.

Do you have any pics of what you mocked up for the Kirkey's? It "looks" like all I need to do is either buy or make a side mount, with one simple bend, to connect from the stock tracks to the side of the race seat.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/autocrossing-and-roadracing/1931483-race-seat-and-mounting.html

Long story short, your saying the seat belt light goes on as well as the airbag light. Yes Does the seat belt cause that annoying "ding ding ding" as well? No. Also, does the Pfadt plug make both lights go out and let the wheel telescope or does it only do the telescoping + air bag light? The Pfadt plug still requires the module from the bottom of the seat to return functionality to the telescoping function. I believe it also turns the air bag light off with the module connected. It does nothing by itself, or at least it did not in my car.

Thanks again!
Old 01-03-2010, 08:20 PM
m3to335
Pro

I'm almost done with the question asking.

- Can a TechII turn off the lights (seat belt + airbag (assuming they are 2 different lights)?

- I saw your photos of the passanger side seat. Did you just buy another passanger side rail and put it on the drivers side? I made some sketches today to make my own set with height/angle adjustability for the passanger side.

- I've yet to see anyone do something like that with the power seat side. Is that dooable while maintaining the power function? Or will it be rendered useless since the airbag and seatbelt wiring is disconnected? So far I havent ripped the drivers seat out to see what I am getting into.

Thanks again
Old 01-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

I'm almost done with the question asking.

- Can a TechII turn off the lights (seat belt + airbag (assuming they are 2 different lights)? No idea.

- I saw your photos of the passanger side seat. Those pictures are actually of the set up I am using on the drivers side Did you just buy another passanger side rail and put it on the drivers side? Yes, I now have the same set up on both sides of the car.I made some sketches today to make my own set with height/angle adjustability for the passanger side.

- I've yet to see anyone do something like that with the power seat side. Is that dooable while maintaining the power function? I am not sure about this. Or will it be rendered useless since the airbag and seatbelt wiring is disconnected? So far I havent ripped the drivers seat out to see what I am getting into.

Thanks again

Last edited by Webz; 01-04-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:11 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try to provide some insight.

Not sure about Tech II, but PDFAT sells an adapter to get rid of the light, but keep in mind they make no claims that it does anything but just get rid of the light. I disconnect and reconnect mine all the time and car runs fine with the airbag light on.

The effects of unplugging the sensor are:

airbag light come on
telescoping steering wheel stops working

I was going to buy the adapter, but since the car runs fine without it, I saved the money. With 5 point harness your not even going to touch the airbags in an accident, so they aren't going to help you anyway.

I only did the driver seat. I am advanced student/instructor, so I rarely have passengers, and if I do...I am not spending $$$ on a seat for them. Stock will do fine for passengers.

I use the Sparco mounting system (GM base mount + sparco universal slider). This works AWESOME. I can pull the slidder back and forth when getting in and out, especially when loading on the trailer.

Regarding the telescoping wheel, just make sure you have it set to the desired position before you disconnect the battery and it will stay there, then use your seat sliders to get in and out.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:09 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I think most composite seats use the same side mounting positions, but you will have virtually zero headspace in a composite seat with sliders. Even with the seat right on the floor composit seats sit too high for me (in a street legal vette)

Get notified of new replies

To Those running race seats in C6 - Sliders, Mounting and Dash Light Questions

Quick Reply: Those running race seats in C6 - Sliders, Mounting and Dash Light Questions