Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NCCAR - New Track Info Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 08:43 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default NCCAR - New Track Info Needed

NASA SE has two events listed at a new track. NCCAR - North Carolina Center For Auto Research on the VA / NC border just off I95. I have looked at the Nasa and NCCAR web sites and there is not much info on the track available. This facility is new - has any one run an event there ? What is the track like, decent to allow the Vette to stretch it's legs or is it a go cart track ? How are the facilities - do they have a snack bar, showers, camping, electric hookups in paddock ? Any info from folks that have run there would be appreciated. Trying to make the decision if I want to try this new location. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Here you go - the North Carolina Center For Auto Research (NCCAR) track. Looks like a narrow course that is suppose to be done by the end of this month.

• 4.6 mile (7.4 km) course length
  • 0.6 mile straight (0.8 km)
  • 40 foot wide track (12m)
  • Turning circles of 450 ft & 630 ft (137m & 192m)
  • 100 ft safe “run-off” zones
  • 30 feet of vertical relief
  • Adverse camber slalom section
  • 5 individual courses (bi-directional)
  • Course built to standard North Carolina road specifications
  • Wetting by low level sprays

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 01-11-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:25 PM
z96lt4
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

www.nccar.us/
Decent website with some good aerial pics.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:57 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll be there instructing in April
Old 01-11-2010, 10:13 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I've been told there is no infrastructure, including NO barrier between the straight and the loop back, so a lot is to be worked out before having even a traditional DE event. I'm looking forward to learning more and seeing it firsthand!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:34 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

CHJ or Aloha - If you want to go in April I have a "free" certificate - PM me and I'll instruct instead of HPDE3/4. I could use a few bucks towards the tire and brake budget

Its a new track and some of the amenities are not in place yet. the track itself is finished.
NASA-SE is doing HPDE only for the two events this year to see how it works out. If they add a timing loop and tower we may race there next year.

James
Old 01-12-2010, 10:42 AM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

I am figuring on triying it also as an instructor. Sure hope they get that missing barrier that David refers to. That looks like bad news to me.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:53 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

In addition to the missing barriers/berms, there are several drainage ditches in run-off areas that have some concern. Another issue are the lack of Pit In and Pit Out blend lanes. As well as the complete lack of corner worker stations.

I know a couple of people that have met with management NCCAR and pointed out the things they feel are necessary for safe(er) DE type of environments. Hopefully, things will develop and we can all leverage this new track for events.

I am definitely looking forward to seeing how NASA handles safety and organization at their April event.

-Kevin
Old 01-12-2010, 03:30 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

That's just a bad design. What sort of barriers would help. Those big concrete Jersey barriers? Yea right.

This is like the PBIR course in Florida. They tried really hard but it's still not a safe track.

Richard
Old 01-12-2010, 03:44 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by drivinhard
I'll be there instructing in April
Yep, I just signed up too. ...can't pass up an opportunity to drive on a new track.

I signed up to instruct, but does that mean that I can ONLY instruct and not drive...or both?? In other words, do I also need to sign up for the HPDE (group 4) to drive? I know very little about how NASA works.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:51 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Yep, I just signed up too. ...can't pass up an opportunity to drive on a new track.

I signed up to instruct, but does that mean that I can ONLY instruct and not drive...or both?? In other words, do I also need to sign up for the HPDE (group 4) to drive? I know very little about how NASA works.
And just what makes you think you are qualified to instruct.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:06 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WNDOPDLR
And just what makes you think you are qualified to instruct.
You have to be "qualified?!?!!?!?!?" Oh crap...
Old 01-12-2010, 04:35 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Instructors get to drive........

Most courses double back on themselves somewhere, but this track was NOT designed for competition, but for testing. It will take a little work but I'm sure it will come together.

OK, I'm signing up too....what the hell....

Last edited by davidfarmer; 01-12-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:51 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Wish I could make it. Too far for me for just joy riding.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by sperkins
Wish I could make it. Too far for me for just joy riding.
Wuss...unoho!! Not sure myself..
Old 01-17-2010, 06:37 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by wtknght1

NASA instituted a policy that in order to instruct with them after feb 2010 you have to at least take their instructor level 1 clinic. There is a hard card that is issued for verification.

Instructors go on track as HPDE4. Generally pass anywhere with a point. Generally you will have 2 students. Not sure how its going to work with just HPDE running and no races but they usually don't have you jumping from car to car with no time between.

Bob
Old 01-17-2010, 06:51 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06cool
Wuss...unoho!!
I know. I have a long way to go before I can graduate to udaho status, but I'm working on it.

Get notified of new replies

To NCCAR - New Track Info Needed

Old 01-17-2010, 07:12 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Josh and I signed up to instruct. There are supposed to be some barriers by April.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:22 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanmer
There is a hard card that is issued for verification.
The funny thing is I heard about that when visiting with NASA MA at VIR (and filled out the form) but haven't heard anything about it in NASA SE. Nobody I've talked to in SE has gotten their hard card "license". Didn't sound like SE would be checking in '10.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:20 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by drivinhard
The funny thing is I heard about that when visiting with NASA MA at VIR (and filled out the form) but haven't heard anything about it in NASA SE. Nobody I've talked to in SE has gotten their hard card "license". Didn't sound like SE would be checking in '10.

A couple of years ago I went looking for this NASA Instructor Hard Card - as a matter of fact I just cruised the NASA website and cannot locate it (does not mean it is not there) or an application for it.

This form talks about it:
http://www.nasaproracing.com/images/...instructor.pdf

But it is not a license listed on any sheet.

But I already know that NASA instructor status in one region does not mean you are instructor qualled in all regions so what use is the card to the individual? No offense to anyone but I have seen instructors, recently, who should not be in cars with students and they were deemed "highly qualified". It may be of value to NASA, and I suspect it will (does) cost about $10, for liability purposes.

I have a PCA national DE Instructor license (never expires) with a unique number.

I do hope this track does not pan out like the one in Starke Florida - that one I refuse to run on - maybe an autocross - but never a multicar on track event.

Quick Reply: NCCAR - New Track Info Needed