Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE coming up - need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Default HPDE coming up - need some advice

Looking to improve my ride & handling a little, have a HPDE coming up this summer and want to have the car ready to go.

I have an 06 C6 with Z51/mn6 and was wondering if I should upgrade the sway bars or the shocks?

Sway bars - I have been looking at the Eibachs or Hotchkis
Shocks - I have been looking at Bilsteins or Koni FSD's
Tires - I am running Nitto Invo's in stock sizing.

Any advice/feedback is appreciated

John in STL
Old 02-10-2010, 09:27 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

if this is your first few events, leave your car stock. The c6Z51 is a very good suspension

With in 30 days of the event, the weekend before is best change to DOT 4 brake fluid.
Changing to stock C5Z06 brake pads is also a good option. Yes they will fit in your calipers.

Other then that just go have fun, drive and learn

Once you have done several events you will know what does and does not need to be upgraded.

Good LUck
Old 02-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
if this is your first few events, leave your car stock. The c6Z51 is a very good suspension

With in 30 days of the event, the weekend before is best change to DOT 4 brake fluid.
Changing to stock C5Z06 brake pads is also a good option. Yes they will fit in your calipers.

Once you have done several events you will know what does and does not need to be upgraded.

Good LUck

Although if the stock brake pads are in good condition you can use them. I have never had a novice student that overdrove or used up their stock brake pads. The big issue is how worn the pads are before you attend the event and if the event is a one or two day event. Ideally you want to avoid brand new pads unless you can burnish them in before the event. Don't throw a set of new pads on the car the day before the event. On other cars I have seen brand new pads literally fall apart after a couple of sessions.

If the car is driving fine on the road then you shouldn't require any alignment changes but if you are having issues then getting an alignment done by person who knows what they are doing may help.

Flush the brake fluid with DOT 4 or Ford Super Duty DOT 3 fluid a week before the event. The Ford fluid has a dry boiling point of 500 degrees which is higher than some DOT 4 fluids.

If you can't do it then have somebody else check the car over.

Inspect coolant level and condition, power steering fluid level, transmission and diff fluid levels, exterior lights, suspension, brake calipers, rotors, ABS wiring, suspension bushings and check for leaks.

On a newer car most of that stuff is in great shape but it never hurts to make sure. It is a real bummer to spend your track time in the garage because the car overheated or some stupid thing failed. Probably a good idea to have fresh oil in the engine depending on how long its been since you changed the oil.

Then go and enjoy the event. You will be surprised just how fast a stock Vette is. Most students can run a stock car for several years before they need to improve its capabilities.

Bill
Old 02-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

I dont know why they dont sticky this thread already, but here is everythign you need to know about setting up a HPDE car from start to too much money and how to avoid the pitfalls.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html

C5 it was done on, but the same applies for a C6 as well.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:10 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I agree with everything that's been said so far. But, if you've done a few of these already, the things to improve are your contact patches - tires, brakes, belts, seat, gloves, shoes, etc....anything that touches something else.

After you get that done, then look at a good set of the T1 sway bars. Get the car to a pro shop and have them set the correct ride height, cornerweight, alignment, zero the sway bars, engine tune, etc.

Keep replacing the brakes, tires and rotors and you'll be in good shape.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:50 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

Good LUck

I sell parts for a living and agree with this one hundred percent (100 Percent). Drive it, enjoy it, learn from it, and then buy everything under the sun for it! From me of course

Randy
Old 02-10-2010, 02:03 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

as others said, leave your car stock. if you end up doing this more than once, just signing up for more events will make you a lot faster than any suspension changes.

when you max out what your car can do, you will know.

have your alignment checked, get the pads that can take high temps, flush the brake fluid and you're good to go.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Wow, great info! Thanks to every person that posted.

I did 1 driving event with my 02 Z06 and even though I was putting down a little over 400 HP to the tires on that car the stock setup seemed better than my C6.
My 2006 is putting down a little over 380 to the ground and doesn't react well to hard acceleration. I have a wheel hop issue that I was wanting to try and control with the addition of better shocks or sways but understand I might not experience this issue on the track?

My friend works for Hunter, we will put the car on there very nice equipment and work on the setup in a few weeks so I can drive the car with the changes well before the event and make changes if necessary.

I will also flush the brake fluid, I have been thinking of that for a couple months and this will give me just the push I need.
Coolant was flushed a couple months back, car has a nice street tune in it that will be tweaked as soon as we warm up a little as well.

I am very excited to get this car on the track but I am sure I not telling you guy's anything you don't already feel/experience as well.

Thanks
John
Old 02-10-2010, 03:31 PM
shifter77
Drifting

What about a 5 pt retaint and A HANS
P.s. LONGDADDY.

Last edited by shifter77; 02-10-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:33 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Neumonic2002
I have a wheel hop issue that I was wanting to try and control with the addition of better shocks or sways but understand I might not experience this issue on the track?
you are probably experiencing wheel hop on cold tires (runflats?) from a standing/low speed start.

on the roadcourse, this condition should not occur. I have coilover setup with T1 bars on my c5z and it does wheel hop on cold street tires (not that I care, I only use it as a track toy these days), no issues at the track.

i bet the difference you are feeling between your old and your new cars is mostly due to tires - c5z came with very good tires from GM for performance driving.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:37 PM
shifter77
Drifting

Wheel hop will dissapear with BILSTEIN shocks.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:40 PM
FredSM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
I sell parts for a living and agree with this one hundred percent (100 Percent). Drive it, enjoy it, learn from it, and then buy everything under the sun for it! From me of course

Randy
Absolutely! The car will let you know when your skills demand an upgrade. Once it starts, beware. It is a slippery (and incredibly fun) slope. Until then, as you said, monitor and change fluids frequently. Only a small fraction of folks who track their cars ever test the limits ... theirs or the cars.

FM
Old 02-10-2010, 04:10 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Neumonic2002
I did 1 driving event with my 02 Z06 and even though I was putting down a little over 400 HP to the tires on that car the stock setup seemed better than my C6.
My 2006 is putting down a little over 380 to the ground and doesn't react well to hard acceleration. I have a wheel hop issue that I was wanting to try and control with the addition of better shocks or sways but understand I might not experience this issue on the track?John
What you're probably feeling is the understeering C5 vs. the oversteering C6 characteristics. Generally speaking, the C5s pushed while the C6 is loose.

When I raced my C5, after coming off the brakes in the turn, I could slowly transfer my foot to the gas because the car still wanted to push a bit in the middle of the turn. With the C6, as soon as I get done trail braking, I must get my foot back to the gas quickly to settle the rear end down. ...and then be very gentle pushing the gas coming out of the corner.

I'm convinced that the C6, given equal drivers and tires, is a faster car; but it is different to drive and it takes some time to get used to. Keep at it!
Old 02-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Richor
CF Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

where do we get T1 sways? Never heard of them
Old 02-10-2010, 04:18 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Originally Posted by richor
where do we get t1 sways? Never heard of them
gm
Old 02-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by shifter77
Wheel hop will dissapear with BILSTEIN shocks.
I think I noticed 2 types of Bilstein shocks?
Heavy Duty & Sport
Old 02-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM

Randy
Checked out your site Randy!
Old 02-10-2010, 05:09 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by longdaddy
you are probably experiencing wheel hop on cold tires (runflats?) from a standing/low speed start.

on the roadcourse, this condition should not occur. I have coilover setup with T1 bars on my c5z and it does wheel hop on cold street tires (not that I care, I only use it as a track toy these days), no issues at the track.

i bet the difference you are feeling between your old and your new cars is mostly due to tires - c5z came with very good tires from GM for performance driving.
I have Nitto Invo's and the rear will hop even when I get on from a roll but maybe the tires are cold? I will pay more attention.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by wtknght1
What you're probably feeling is the understeering C5 vs. the oversteering C6 characteristics. Generally speaking, the C5s pushed while the C6 is loose.

When I raced my C5, after coming off the brakes in the turn, I could slowly transfer my foot to the gas because the car still wanted to push a bit in the middle of the turn. With the C6, as soon as I get done trail braking, I must get my foot back to the gas quickly to settle the rear end down. ...and then be very gentle pushing the gas coming out of the corner.

I'm convinced that the C6, given equal drivers and tires, is a faster car; but it is different to drive and it takes some time to get used to. Keep at it!
Good description, bringing back some great memories from that day....boy am I in trouble going forward!

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE coming up - need some advice

Quick Reply: HPDE coming up - need some advice