Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'06-'10 Sprint Booster Power Converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 12:57 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default '06-'10 Sprint Booster Power Converter

http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductD...m_medium=email

I'm thinking this is like the old trick of swapping the little cam on the throttle linkage on VWs? Making less throttle pedal motion open the throttle plates faster... $299 seems excessive for that to me. Does it really take that long to step on the pedal?

FWIW, my data acq has yet to show a difference between my pedal position graph and the throttle position graph so long as I have TC/AH turned off. I haven't really checked them if I left anything on while driving around...
Old 02-12-2010, 01:37 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

I had tunes on both my 2005 coupe and my 2006 Z06. One of the things I liked the best from the tunes was the better throttle response.

When I got a ZR1 it seemed to have a little bit of a sluggish throttle.

I don't intend to track or mod the ZR1, but I really wanted a more perky throttle. With concerns about the warranty being voided with a tune, I decided to try the Sprint Booster.

Overall I like it - it perks up the throttle and the car feels a lot more like a sports car should react.

However, I got the version 1 unit. Apparently there is a version 2 that has sort of a valet switch on it (see the picture in the link below):

http://store.tkoperformance.com/sppoboimthre.html

I believe the version 2 has: OFF; Intermediate; Aggressive settings. I sure would opt for that feature if I had to do it again.

My unit has just the "aggressive" setting, and it's almost too much. I've learned to be more careful with my throttle inputs. The first time I tried it out was on damp roads with temps about 55 degrees. With the cold tires and damp roads the wheels were spinning every time I increased throttle - when starting out from a stop or even after shifts into 2nd and 3rd (I never got out of 3rd in my housing area for that first trial).

Over the last 2 weeks or so since I've installed it I've had more driving time on dry roads and have learned to be a little more careful on the accelerator pedal. I like it very much, but my wife complains about: "What are you doing??? It feels like the tires are twitching! Remember I have a bad back so take it easy!"

Like I say, I like it on my street driven ZR1. Butt....I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a track car. You can tune the throttle tip-in with most all tuning programs, and that would probably be the way to go. The Sprint Booster (at least the one I have that does not have the adjustable settings) might make the throttle a little too sensitive. It might be good on a lower hp car, but with the Vette (especially the ZR1) a little too much throttle can easily exceed the traction of your contact patch if you get on it too hard before you've got the steering inputs unwound. Even in my Z06 when coming out of turn in 3rd, I can easily spin the rear tires with too abrupt of a throttle input. My 2009 ZR1 doesn't have the PTM, but I don't think the unit would affect the PTM - my cruise control works fine with it, but without PTM in my car I haven't been able to see if it would interfere with PTM.

Again, if I had it to do again, I'd get the one from TKO that has the adjustable settings.

If you have a car with a tune I don't think you need this.

Bob
Old 02-12-2010, 02:07 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's the thing... my right foot is already pretty fast at finding WFO so I'm not sure what this really buys me. I guess it's more of a "feeling" thing than a performance improvement.

Get notified of new replies

To '06-'10 Sprint Booster Power Converter

Quick Reply: '06-'10 Sprint Booster Power Converter