Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racerpak

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 01:02 PM
saibel
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racerpak

Has anyone used RacePak IQ3 or similar in their corvette for track days? I an interested in their product and am looking for some feedback on this system. Specifically mounting process and the software package. Also curious if anyone has hooked up video to the racepak system. Thanks in advance

steve
Old 02-17-2010, 04:08 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are a couple other options you might not be aware of. I'm leaning toward RLC Racing's Micro Pod Sport. It looks better than the RacePak IQ3 to me, and it costs less.

For a data logger & dashboard ...
http://rlcracing.com/index.html

For integrating video with the data ...
http://www.chasecam.com/
Old 02-17-2010, 05:42 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I run the G2X on my C5Z06 and it which uses the same V-Net sensor system as the IQ3 and the same analysis software. The G2X hardware that I am familiar with is great. Their USM boxes allow you to attach additional sensors a bit cheaper than their off the self sensors. Specifically, I have tapped into some of the car's existing sensor's and log their outputs via several USM's. Since you have a C6, you can look into their CAN V-Net module specific for your car to record sensors more conveniently.

I also have mine coupled with a Chasecam V-Net module and the G2X automatically starts and stops the video recorder. It is pretty nice although I have noticed I still have to offset the video by about 0.02 seconds to get it to line up the video. But the recorder is automatically started and stopped which is really nice. If I give the Chasecam access to power, the G2X will automatically tell the Chasecam to power up and to start/stop recording. I don't have to touch the Chasecam all weekend if there is a large enough data card installed.

The availability of extra sensor inputs is really good, either through their USM or off the self sensors. Their support has always been good for me. They have a forum which they are pretty good at responding to and their phone support has always been excellent. Predictive lap timing is great as well.

The G2X display (I realize this isn't what you are asking about) is easy to read. Here's a picture of how it is integrated in with my dash:

The real downside, in my opinion, is their software. It has some real shortfalls which some users will be annoyed with. First off, it is a little difficult to learn. They have some video tutorials online which should really help but the software is still cumbersome to use. Once you get the hang of it it isn't too bad though. One of the biggest shortfalls that I see is their inability to generate x-y plots. That is, with the exception of plots of lateral g's vs. longitudinal g's, the x-axis of all plots are either distance or time. But what if you want to see longitudinal g's (acceleration g's) vs. speed? You can't unless you export the data (which you can do) and plot it in Excel or some other software package. The lack of ability of general x-y plots (again, being able to select which parameter is being plotted on the x-axis) has been mentioned on their forum several times and is seemingly not being addressed.

So in summary: The G2X hardware is great. The software is the weak link.

PS My suggestion is download the analysis software from their web site and give it a try. Also, if your friends use a particular system, strongly consider getting the same one as them. It is invaluable to exchange data. Currently no one offers a data converter, ie, G2X data converted to DL1 format.

Last edited by MySR71; 02-17-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:55 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MySR71
PS My suggestion is download the analysis software from their web site and give it a try. Also, if your friends use a particular system, strongly consider getting the same one as them. It is invaluable to exchange data. Currently no one offers a data converter, ie, G2X data converted to DL1 format.
This is why I chose the AiM MXL Pista. It's not the cheapest, but I could figure out the software fairly well and my local race shop uses it and are willing to share data. I have been very very happy with the AiM system -- it too integrates with the '06+ OBDII/CAN except it doesn't need a custom gizmo to do it, just connect up the two CAN bus wires.

Get notified of new replies

To Racerpak

Quick Reply: Racerpak