Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR Grand Course Any Good?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:57 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Default VIR Grand Course Any Good?

I'm putting together my DE schedule and looking for a Jun event for the northeast - not finding too much except at NJMP. Mazda Drivers will be at VIR running the Grand Course configuration Jun 12-13. I've done the normal VIR track 4 times and love it...but what about this Grand Course, is it worth the 6 hr drive from central PA?

Thanks, Brad
Old 02-19-2010, 06:00 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the grand course is fun no doubt but ya cut off your back stretch I can not remember how many extra corners but it by all means keeps you on you toes. Worth it yes (once) but personally I like the fewer turn Full course. At times I got stuck and could not pass some slower cars. My buddy in a Miata on the other hand prefers the Grand as he does not benefit from the flat out runs like we do on the straights.

I am sure others will chime in ....

Last edited by RaleighSS; 02-19-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:21 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I backed out of the one event I was going to do there, since I kept hearing semi-negative comments. Most are similar to above, it's good, but it's not as good as the full course.

If you NEED an event, I think it would be good, but it isn't better than the full course just because it's bigger.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:26 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I backed out of the one event I was going to do there, since I kept hearing semi-negative comments. Most are similar to above, it's good, but it's not as good as the full course.

If you NEED an event, I think it would be good, but it isn't better than the full course just because it's bigger.

Everyone should do a grand course ONCE.

Too many corners, and too few passing.

Clubs use grande course so they can get more cars on track at the same time. You get about 4 laps per 25 min session on Grand

But then again being on track is better then not being on track

Good Luck
Old 02-19-2010, 08:56 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with the above comments. I am definitely going to run the Mazda event this year. The grand configuration incorporates the Patriot section with the rest of the track. It adds some extremely challenging sections with a lot of elevation change. The long back stretch is cut in half but you still can get major speed on the pit section. Typical run group is 5-6 laps per session due to length of course.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:29 PM
danbo56
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Grand course is great! This will be the 3 yr in a row I've done it with the Mazda guys. It cuts the back straight in 1/2 with a hard right hander into the infield course. It is more technical than the Full course. I think there are more passing opportunites on the Grand. It is 4.2 miles long -vs- ~3.7 for the Full. It's well worth the 6 hrs from Baltimore!
Old 02-19-2010, 09:33 PM
71corv
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I have attended the Mazda event and like the Grand East. While you don't get the thrill of the speed on the back straight, the Grand East offers you more turns to perfect your driving and shifting skills. I feel this is one of the best courses for someone to learn to handle their car.YMMV

Gene
Old 02-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,407 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Here is the Grand Course
Old 02-20-2010, 04:24 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

some likes and dislikes here :-) maybe ya should run it and let us know what ya think :-)
Old 02-20-2010, 10:05 PM
danbo56
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hummm..... I think the long back striaght is kinda boring. Slam a few gears, put your foot to the floor, pick my nose a bit, get some air at the crest and wait for the left hander.... Yeah it's very fast, but after a few laps the speed becomes relative.
Oh well... different stokes for different folks
Old 02-20-2010, 10:16 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by danbo56
Hummm..... I think the long back striaght is kinda boring. Slam a few gears, put your foot to the floor, pick my nose a bit, get some air at the crest and wait for the left hander.... Yeah it's very fast, but after a few laps the speed becomes relative.
Oh well... different stokes for different folks
See I like the back straight .... I run to about 125 or so ... check my mirrors let others by, stretch my fingers, glance at gauges, then back to business :-) .... I would pick my nose but cant get it up there with gloves and full face helmet :-) ha ha ...

Just poking fun here ... thats the good thing about Vir North / South / Full / Grand there is something for everyone.

Last edited by RaleighSS; 02-20-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:18 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

The video is great. ZR1

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like its worth doing. I'll probably be signing up.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

The Grand East Course configuration is definitely my favorite!! So much fun and lots of work - I wish more clubs ran this course.

Get notified of new replies

To VIR Grand Course Any Good?

Quick Reply: VIR Grand Course Any Good?