Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet recommendations for a newb

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Helmet recommendations for a newb

I will be participating in a few local track days and want to have the appropriate helmet for such events. Any recommendations on what I should be looking at?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Wren
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

You have to go try them on or order several different sizes/brands and return the ones that don't fit.

For instance- Bell has never made a helmet that fits my head, but Simpson has some that fit just right. Bell makes a great helmet, but it just isn't right for me.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:49 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Full face, something with a large eyeport. the lighter the better. Best to try on, each helmet fits just a little different. Something snug, but not tight enough to cause headaches.

I have a Simpson Bandit, but don't wear it much. The eyeport is small (for open wheel cars) kinda sucks on the peripheral vision, I tried the Simpson super voyeger, and use it now.

Used Arai helmets back in the biker days, great helmet but expensive.

Check out the Bell M3, I like their fit also.

Have fun at the track.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

SA05 that is comfortable.....try on different brands. I like Simpson.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:58 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I bought an open face 10 years ago when I first started.
I replaced it back in November with a Bell full face and I'm getting used to it.
I like it, it fits well even with a communicator in my ear when I instruct.

As others said find an SA05 that fits. We are lucky at NASA-SE events that a vendor is there with a few different styles and plenty of choices in sizes at the track.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:01 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

You're in the perfect section to ask such a question!!

I agree with the previous posts about trying on a number of different helmets - proper fit and comfort are very important.

Helmets are made/tested to DOT and Snell specs. Two common Snell certifications are "M" and "SA". The "M" is for motorcycles, and the "SA" is for Special Applications - which is essentially for motorsports.

So, what you want is a Snell SA helmet. Take a look at this site and click on "Certified Helmets":

http://www.smf.org/

Depending on the type of helmet, Snell does the certification testing every several years. The Sa certifications have been done every 5 years, and the most recent was in 2005 (if you look on that website linked above you can see that they have already done the M certification testing for 2010 - I guess the SA testing will be later in the year).

Although some groups or tracks that sponsor track events might accept an M certified helmet, or some even just a DOT helmet, many will require that your helmet is SA certified.

Usually they only accept a helmet that has a certification not older than 2 testing periods, i.e. you'll probably need an SA 2000 or SA 2005 helmet.

So....I would recommend that you get an SA 2005 helmet that fits good, and probably full face. You should meet most all sponsoring groups requirements for almost 10 years, but you'll need a new helmet before then anyway!!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 02-19-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:01 PM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

As folks above has said, the most important thing to do is try a few on before buying. You'll have your helmet for a long time so take the time to find one that is comfortable on your head. All of the name brands will offer excellent safety so shop for comfort and field of vision.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Try a lot of helmets. Some of the helmet makers have stopped making specific sizes in their lower priced ($270 to $450) helmet offerings. You get a choice of S, M, L, XL and so on. Each size fits a range of head sizes. This can make it hard to get a helmet that fits properly. I have a nice Simpson Closed face helmet that is probably a little large for me but when I tried the next smaller size my cheeks were squeezed so tightly that they were forced between my teeth if I opened my mouth. I tried several Impact helmets that had the same issue. Previously I had an Open Face Simpson that was my specific size and fit like a glove and I do miss it.

Bill
Old 02-19-2010, 06:58 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

This is really good information guys. I really appreciate the detailed post BEZ06 Just need to find a place around here that sells various motor sports helmets.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:37 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I prefer the open face since I have glasses. Get the newest date you can find. Most sanctioning bodies allow 10 years. My helmet expires in May so I also need a new one before the season starts. I think I will go with a SA hemet this time. I had an M and it was fine for what I do (NCCC autocrossing), but later on I may do some other racing that will require an SA helmet.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:39 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

If you look down further in the posts, MSI is having a sale on their pytotec helmets. I am considering their proflow open face SA helmet.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:47 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by vettehardt
I prefer the open face since I have glasses. Get the newest date you can find. Most sanctioning bodies allow 10 years. My helmet expires in May so I also need a new one before the season starts. I think I will go with a SA hemet this time. I had an M and it was fine for what I do (NCCC autocrossing), but later on I may do some other racing that will require an SA helmet.
I wear glasses too, but I much prefer a full face helmet. I do have to take off my glasses, put on my helmet, then stick my glasses through the helmet to get them back on.

I really like the "modular helmet" concept, but so far none have been tested and certified to SA specs. I hope that later this year a number of manufacturers will submit some for SA 2010 certification.

You can see on the helmet above that not only does the visor flip up, but the whole front of the helmet can swing up so the chin-bar is up out of the way when you put on the helmet. I think it would go on over glasses, then you could flip the front down and have full face protection.

I don't know whether any manufacturers will try to SA certify any modular helmets, or if they would meet the Snell SA specs, but I'd like one if it were to be SA approved.

Bob
Old 02-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

I skimmed the posts above so I hope I'm not repeating anything...

The M rating is for motorcycles as long as the date code is current I've never seen a club PCA, BMW, NASA, Audi, etc. have a problem with them.

M also means you drop it and its toast...a single impact only hat.

SA are race helmets.

I don't think HANS devices will work on open face helmets either if you thnik that might be in the equation too.

I just got a new Simpson Stingray because I decided to get a head and neck restraint.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:49 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Money buys lightweight and some comfort, but anything SA-rated should be as safe as the next. Try on all the helmets and just because you're a large in one brand doesn't mean you're a large in another. Some brands fit different head shapes, too. When I first started autocrossing I bought an HJC and was pretty happy with it. These days I wear Bells on both my motorcycle (M helmet) and in the car (SA helmet). They're priced fairly and quality product.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:47 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

I don't see why a hans won't work with an open face. The chin bar on a closed face doesn't contact the face. All the force would be applied on the forhead and chin strap. It would be the same for a closed as an open face. It should work if you have the attachments on the helmet. Anybody know differently?
Old 02-20-2010, 09:06 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
This is really good information guys. I really appreciate the detailed post BEZ06 Just need to find a place around here that sells various motor sports helmets.
Go up to Discovery and try a few on

http://www.discoveryparts.com/

showroom at:
1591 Hwy 85 North, Fayetteville, GA 30214.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 02-21-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:17 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Good advice posted by BEZ06 above about Snell ratings. While not all clubs may require SA certified helmets today, I feel that the regulations are getting more and more stringent every year. I wouldn't want to spend money on a helmet that might not meet my clubs regs in a few years.

Many good helmet options out there. I'm partial to Simpson and have had good luck sizing with tape measure and buying over the internet. Currently using a Sidepro Shark with Simpson installed HANS device attachment points. Previous to that have used two Bandits over the years.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Get notified of new replies

To Helmet recommendations for a newb

Old 02-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by vettehardt
I don't see why a hans won't work with an open face. The chin bar on a closed face doesn't contact the face. All the force would be applied on the forhead and chin strap. It would be the same for a closed as an open face. It should work if you have the attachments on the helmet. Anybody know differently?
No you must be right...I read something that made me think...mmm I guess that means the restraint doesn't work with open face helmets.

Because you questioned it it went back and read the owners manual and mounting instructions. I could not find anything that states it wouldn't work on open helmets.

I also check the FAQ section on their website and it states that it will work on any santioning body approved helment.

Sorry for the misinformatin and thanks for questioning the statement.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:23 AM
gtpvette
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

I just bought my first helmet in a long time. I was at the SCCA Double National at Homestead,, there were two vendors with a large selection of helment and both with very good prices. Thank god I did it this way,,, I ended up trying on a lot of different helments until I found one that fit well,, it's an XXL. Yep,,, I've got a fat head!
Old 02-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Everyone has given great advice. The only other thing I would add is that I recommend that you go to the Bell web site and read their recommendations on "fitting helmets". They say that most people purchase helmets that are too large. A proper fitting helmet will fit snugly around the top of your head (fore head level) and you should have visible compression of your cheeks. It goes into greater detail and is well worth reading. Then you really need to go try helmets on and see what fits you the best. The other thing that is important to know is that many helmet dealers will come way down from the advertised price. For example I was looking to purchase a Bell M4 Pro and I found two places that came down from the ~$550 list price to $410.

Best of luck in your search.

Charley

Quick Reply: Helmet recommendations for a newb