Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dry sump? a Performance Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 07:52 AM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dry sump? a Performance Mod?

I was Looking throught the Nasa TT rules and Nasa-X rules which is there autox And they want a person to take a 7 point Hit for adding a dry sump to your car and then a 14 point hit if you move the motor.

So i can see the points for moving the Motor but just adding a dry sump? Is there really that much of a performance boost from adding a dry sump system? without utilizing the ability to relocate the motor?

And well i know there can be some horsepower gains or i have read there is but is there really that much?

Sorry if this is a dumb question

Last edited by 97C5inSD; 02-20-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:02 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

Increases crankshaft horsepower by decreasing windage

Creates crankcase vacuum which decreases blowby and intake charge contamination and decreases detonation
Old 02-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Jaymz
Pro

The points system is only going to matter if you are running TTA/PTA or TTB/PTB. I doubt that anyone in those classes are running a drysump anyway. If you are running ST2 or ST1 then the points don't count as it's all power to weight based.

I agree that some of the TT/PT points modifers are out of wack.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:53 AM
67Ranger
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I can add some power, but if you dont want to take the hit, get an accusump. Gives you some of the safety, without the cost, and without being a true dry sump.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:22 AM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 97C5inSD
I was Looking throught the Nasa TT rules and Nasa-X rules which is there autox And they want a person to take a 7 point Hit for adding a dry sump to your car and then a 14 point hit if you move the motor.

So i can see the points for moving the Motor but just adding a dry sump? Is there really that much of a performance boost from adding a dry sump system? without utilizing the ability to relocate the motor?

And well i know there can be some horsepower gains or i have read there is but is there really that much?

Sorry if this is a dumb question
The dry sump allows lowering the car?
Old 02-21-2010, 08:35 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mashinter
IIRC lowering the engine, thus lowering the CoG.

dry sump pan is much shallower then a normal oil pan
Old 02-21-2010, 08:36 AM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

No the Dry Sump allows you to Lower the motor down farther into the engine bay since you don't have as big of a oil pan on it anylonger. So hence changeing the weight distribution
Old 02-21-2010, 11:30 AM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

I wish NASA would take a look at thier rule book as a new to NASA person and clean up the point adders. If I have a dyno HP of XXX and weigh XXXX why worry about mods that make HP. That is already included in the dyno. That would include dry sumps, exhaust and other mods that result in increased power. Some classes allow averaging F & R tires sizes and other classes do not. There also seems to be a difference between regions. Some places have classes that others do not. Areo mods that do make a difference in lap times are not point adders.

Overall it could be easier to build equal cars and with time I hope they get there.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:50 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by exracer28
I wish NASA would take a look at thier rule book as a new to NASA person and clean up the point adders. If I have a dyno HP of XXX and weigh XXXX why worry about mods that make HP. That is already included in the dyno. That would include dry sumps, exhaust and other mods that result in increased power. Some classes allow averaging F & R tires sizes and other classes do not. There also seems to be a difference between regions. Some places have classes that others do not. Areo mods that do make a difference in lap times are not point adders.
Once you're in Super Touring this is exactly what you get. A strict power:weight with no points to worry about.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:04 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Overall it could be easier to build equal cars and with time I hope they get there.
You are correct it would make it easier but it would also make it easier to cheat. Those HP/lb rules were added as a supplement so that people didn't use loopholes to hake a high powered TTA-F/PTA-F car. If you want simple rules rule ST2/ST1/SU.

Once you start running you will be very happy that the PT/TT rules are there, you can be competitive without spending a ton of money. I was told the Dry Sump rule was more of a way to keep costs down.

Myself I'm looking to get back to TT/PTA just because of the limiting rules, I would love to just maintain.

Also if the went had HP/LB only rule you all would be spending $$$ on dyno time and so would NASA. Currently PT a-f has a HP/LB max but no dyno is required.

Last edited by L98Terror; 02-22-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:54 AM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wish NASA would take a look at thier rule book as a new to NASA person and clean up the point adders.

If I have a dyno HP of XXX and weigh XXXX why worry about mods that make HP. That is already included in the dyno.

Email Greg Greenbaum (National TT Director) with all of your car info and he can re-class your car like he does with motor swaps. You will have a new base class and will not take points for engine mods.
http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12638

That would include dry sumps, exhaust and other mods that result in increased power.

Some classes allow averaging F & R tires sizes and other classes do not.

I'm not aware of any that allow averaging in PT/TT/ST.

There also seems to be a difference between regions. Some places have classes that others do not.

The Regions have the option to add a new class if they see a need. (much like SCCA with ITE...)

Areo mods that do make a difference in lap times are not point adders.

All PTA-F and TTA-F cars that have aero (that didn't come on the base model car) take points.

Performance Touring is the easiest and cheapest class to race a Corvette.

Matt
Old 02-22-2010, 09:56 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,751 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I am trying to build my car for TTA because it seems like ST1 and ST2 are for deeper pockets. I really dont want to cut up the interior to do a full cage for PT but that may happen once I start TTing!
Old 02-22-2010, 04:41 PM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 97C5inSD
No the Dry Sump allows you to Lower the motor down farther into the engine bay since you don't have as big of a oil pan on it anylonger. So hence changeing the weight distribution
Agreed. My question was related to the points for just the dry sump; don't move the engine. Are the points there because with a dry sump you can lower the car more than if you have a wet sump?
Old 02-22-2010, 08:37 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Agreed. My question was related to the points for just the dry sump; don't move the engine. Are the points there because with a dry sump you can lower the car more than if you have a wet sump?
Havein the Dry sump dose not allow you to lower the car anymore the you could prevouisly but you still get assesed the points just for the dry sump
Old 02-22-2010, 11:43 PM
67Ranger
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Honestly, the only reason I could see there being points for a dry sump system would be to encourage keeping the cost of the class down. Since this is a lower budget (as if that really exists in racing) class, so they could just be trying to encourage people to spend less money, or if anything, discourage people from spending more money.

Get notified of new replies

To Dry sump? a Performance Mod?

Quick Reply: Dry sump? a Performance Mod?