Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

24 hrs of lemons racers

Old 02-20-2010, 11:15 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Default 24 hrs of lemons racers

i know they dont accept entries til 6 weeks before the event but did you start bulding the car before you were even accepted??

We are trying to get a team/car together and just wondering what a good strategy is on this. to start the car early and hope to get registered or what.

thanks
Old 02-20-2010, 03:48 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would start on the car Derek we already are granted our car has a few things to get done extra probly depends on what you even have to do to the car.

We have it scheduled already to head in for a cage in may.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:59 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Most people spend months if not a year getting a car together for the race. I would be working on it already. If you don't get accepted this time, there are a lot more events coming up.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:36 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by 97C5inSD
I would start on the car Derek we already are granted our car has a few things to get done extra probly depends on what you even have to do to the car.

We have it scheduled already to head in for a cage in may.
where and how much did you guys get for an estimate on a cage?

what kinda car you running?
Old 02-20-2010, 06:49 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dvandentop
where and how much did you guys get for an estimate on a cage?

what kinda car you running?
Don't know if i wana be giving out our secrets lol

We got a quote of around $850-900 for our cage in the car in a Nissan Sentra

Can't rember the place but they do alot of the dirt track cars and said they would build it how ever we specified
Old 02-20-2010, 11:54 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

damn that is alot for a cage on these cars especially since we all know the roll factor at mam is pretty low.

hopefully we can get the ball rolling on ours it would be a good time just wish i had 1 more stall to work on it.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:36 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1.6 liter sentra or 2.0 SER sentra? I thought about doing Lemons with my SER when it is about toast but I probably will just run it to the ground and maybe rally race it or something...the suspension and transmission doesn't fit well with classes though.

Any pics of yours?
Old 02-21-2010, 08:40 AM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

damn that is alot for a cage on these cars especially since we all know the roll factor at mam is pretty low.

hopefully we can get the ball rolling on ours it would be a good time just wish i had 1 more stall to work on it.
That actually a pretty decent price we came about for a custom built cage you can buy some autopower ones for a bit less and then you guys get to do the install. We are actually hopeing to make 2 events with our car which is probly pretty optimistic but we do have another sentra shell that if we trash this car we can transplant to the other shell.

Originally Posted by Git Er Dun
1.6 liter sentra or 2.0 SER sentra? I thought about doing Lemons with my SER when it is about toast but I probably will just run it to the ground and maybe rally race it or something...the suspension and transmission doesn't fit well with classes though.

Any pics of yours?
2.0 i belive my friends i'm doing it with have the car down in Soofoo and it's tucked away in the shop. it's a bit of a rusty bucket so it's definatly nothing pretty but the drive train seems solid
Old 02-21-2010, 08:43 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Don't believe the $500 myth. Most folks have closer to $5,000 in their cars. And that's cheap racing. Here's our car.

We've been working on the car for about 6 months now. It was an old Enduro car. At one time it was a pretty strong car - when it had a real motor. We bought it for $500.

You can see all of the ugly details on our Speed TV blog. Also, we have our own web site. Enjoy.

Richard Newton
Old 02-21-2010, 09:46 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
Don't believe the $500 myth. Most folks have closer to $5,000 in their cars. And that's cheap racing. Here's our car.

We've been working on the car for about 6 months now. It was an old Enduro car. At one time it was a pretty strong car - when it had a real motor. We bought it for $500.

You can see all of the ugly details on our Speed TV blog. Also, we have our own web site. Enjoy.

Richard Newton
Whats the chance of losing the car to a bid?
Old 02-22-2010, 06:50 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

So far no one has lost a car that way. We figure that as long as we keep the patina of the car intact we're fine.

Chumps is a little tighter than the LeMons organization. In LeMons you can have 6-piston Brembos. In Chumps your brake caliper can only cost twice of what an OEM rebuilt caliper goes for.

Richard Newton
Old 02-22-2010, 07:27 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

We don't need a tire sponsor. It turns our that our tires have a 50,000 mile treadwear warranty. I wonder if that means we need an odometer though?

Richard Newton
Intervention Motorsports
Speed TV Blog
Old 02-22-2010, 12:27 PM
aggie_corvette
Racer

Start working on your car ASAP. Also as mentioned before it takes about $5000 to get started, but every race after that is much cheaper.

MAKE SURE YOU GET A REAL CAGE. Don't go cheap and risk getting hurt in a stupid Lemons car. Rollovers do happen, we just had 3 rollover crashes here at Lemons TX (MSR Houston).

We just finished our 4th event, and after seeing the rollovers will be getting a proper cage. We have some cheap "bolt-in" sleaved style right now and looking really looking at it, it will not truly protect us.

Lemons is a blast and super cheap for racing standards.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:37 AM
CrabbyDaddy
Intermediate

One of the roll overs at MSR this past weekend. Don't scrimp on the safety equipment
Old 02-25-2010, 08:36 PM
waktasz
Pro

We built our own cage but our pipe bender cost over $800. My team has built 4 or 5 cars so far though.
We've never been turned away from an event we registered for (but we're also Wall of Blame inductees )
Old 02-27-2010, 03:17 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

I've been trying to keep up with all the new Crap Car teams on my links page. If your team isn't listed leave me a message here and I'll add your team.

I still wish I could have found a Corvette for this stuff - but I think it's almost impossible. I'm still looking though.

Richard Newton
Our Speed TV Blog

Last edited by rfn026; 02-27-2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-28-2010, 09:42 PM
1lapRacer
Instructor

Start on the car as soon as you can, car build takes way longer than what anyone expects.

The cage for our Saab 9000 was built from scratch by the team with the help of a friend with the appropriate tools. I had around $350 of tubing in that cage at wholesale prices. Mounting plates were freebies but figure another $30 to $50 for mounting plates and more.

The cage for the 300zx was around $900 with shipping and additional door bars. While it does cost another $500 or so, you will save a bunch of time. More importantly if you have heavy damage to the car you can unbolt the cage and move it to the next craigslist victim.

Lemons racing is pretty safe but, having the best cage, harness, and seat you can afford sure helps in the confidence department when you go 3 wide into a corner and you know one of the three drivers is on track for the first time.

Get notified of new replies

To 24 hrs of lemons racers

Old 03-01-2010, 10:59 AM
pewterhdtop
Burning Brakes

I agree with the rest, get started ASAP on the car. The initial investment is more than the $500 car, but once it is made, you will enjoy the benefits. Our team, Old Fast Auto Race Team and Sons, will be competing in our 5th Lemons Race this weekend at the Sears Pointless event followed closely by the May event at Thunderhill. We now have 2 cars entered with a Double Fartini theme loosely following the Martini and Rossi clor scheme. Just painted the cars over the weekend, Rustoleum is great stuff and they don't look too bad, from 10 feet away anyway! The cars are both Porsche 924s, one an S the other a Turbo which will be in it's first event.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:22 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

We just installed new mirrors in our Camaro. Whoooo Hoooooo

We're supposed to test on Wed. at Charlotte County Motorsports Park here in Florida. We got rained out on Saturday. It's about 65-degrees here. I'm sure you guys up in Philly don't want to hear that but 65 is really cold for us.

Richard Newton
Intervention Motorsports
Our Speed TV Blog
Old 03-05-2010, 02:00 PM
RusherRacing
Racer

Derek,

If you would have come to more autox's you may have seen our car in action... It is a total rust bucket!! But thats what a welder and steel plate is for.

We are building it for both Chump Car and LeMons, maybe more, Hastings is running its own budget series..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 24 hrs of lemons racers