Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What SCCA class should I choose?

Old 02-25-2010, 04:13 AM
Paul Schmidt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What SCCA class should I choose?

I now have my donor car. 2000 coupe with 125K. Nice clean car. I want to make the car into more aggresive race trim than T1. I want more selection on brakes and wheel size too. I live in the Pacfic Northwest and NASA isn't up here. I would do ST2. What is the closest SCCA class to ST2? There is a race at Portland International Raceway March 5-7. I'm going to check things out. I'm just looking for some insight, so I know what questions to ask and what to look for.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2010, 09:14 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

STO would be the next national SCCA class that you could enter, but that is more in line with NASA ST1. STO was basically designed to give ex-World Challange cars a place to race. You can build a car for the class but if a World Challange car shows up, you're in trouble. Kinda like at the June Sprints last year. You could check and see if they have ITE in your region, I'm not that framiliar with that class but I know they run it in some regions. Hope this helps
Joel
Old 02-25-2010, 09:25 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Unless you have unlimited funding, T1 is the route you'd want to go. We're now allowed to upgrade the brakes, rotors, etc and are also allowed headers on the C5. The car can weigh 3180 lbs too!!!!! A well tuned and prepped SCCA T1 C5 will be a beast and should easily be quicker than a ST2 prepped car...if that matters to you.

I believe with the current changes to the C5, the runoffs winner will either be a Viper or C5.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:13 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

What kind of race experience do you have?

T1 really is a good class for the $, I won't b e up there in March, but I'll prolly be out there for the double National in July. If you don't care about Nationals right now, you can start in ITE/ITA or whatever the Pacific NW has. Basically its a run what you brung if it passes tech and a great way to get seat time and see what classes you do/don't like (and the classes they run with in the run groups)
Old 02-25-2010, 11:16 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Go watch the races and enjoy.

Ask questions.

That march race is an SCCA race, so you would need a SCCA race lic to compete. Not just arrive and race
Old 02-26-2010, 01:10 AM
Z Fast
Drifting

Location: Bend, Oregon Black / Ebony 2LZ 2006 Z06 C6Z06 owner since 2/7/2006
Received 107 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
You could check and see if they have ITE in your region
ITE for regional racing at PIR (Portland)

For the March 6-7 regioanl SCCA race there is only 1 car signed for ITE right now. For the past 3 years there was a 2006 Z06 running ITE. Come down and walk the paddock and ask questions...the best way to find out which way you want to go.

But then again, when that Z06 was allowed to run in ITA in 2007 he was exremely fast in the straights but was in my way in every turn, and I was driving a Spec Miata. I'd say make sure you choose a class that has enough competition because racing against yourself can be boring.

Tom

Last edited by Z Fast; 02-26-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:56 AM
Paul Schmidt
Racer

Thanks for the responses.

I think the best and least expensive route to go is T1. I also want a class that isn't just a few cars. This year is all about track days. I have a flexable scheldule at work. This will allow me to hit PIR, Pacific Raceway and Oregon Raceway Park. My goal is 30 track days. That's about five a month, until winter. Then in October go to the 2 day SCCA competition school and get my racing license. In the winter, drop a new longblock LS6 into the car. I will do suspension, brakes and cooling mods this summer. Working in the safety as well. Then race next year. Does this sound like a good plan?
Old 02-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 354 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug P

I think the best and least expensive route to go is T1. I also want a class that isn't just a few cars. This year is all about track days. I have a flexable scheldule at work. This will allow me to hit PIR, Pacific Raceway and Oregon Raceway Park. My goal is 30 track days. That's about five a month, until winter. Then in October go to the 2 day SCCA competition school and get my racing license. In the winter, drop a new longblock LS6 into the car. I will do suspension, brakes and cooling mods this summer. Working in the safety as well. Then race next year. Does this sound like a good plan?

T1 is a great class. Properly prepped the cars are amongst the fastest cars with fenders. I don't know about your area, but in SoCal we have seven regular racers. That is a bit of a haul for you, but we invite you to join us.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:11 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Sounds like a great plan with a lot of seat time. Seat time is key. I am hoping to be up that way for National race weekends so maybe I'll see you out there!

Do you have a cage installed already? Does it meet SCCA's requirements? If no cage, make sure whoever builds it builds it to SCCA's requirements listed in the Competition Rule Book that you can find at scca.com
Old 02-26-2010, 11:12 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Olitho
T1 is a great class. Properly prepped the cars are amongst the fastest cars with fenders. I don't know about your area, but in SoCal we have seven regular racers. That is a bit of a haul for you, but we invite you to join us.

Hey Oli, I'll have room in the trailer for another car (or 2) to make a Pacific Northwest tour if anyone is interested
Old 02-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 354 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
Hey Oli, I'll have room in the trailer for another car (or 2) to make a Pacific Northwest tour if anyone is interested
Hhmmm. That sounds inviting.

I need to check there schedule.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:56 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

you have email Oli
Old 02-27-2010, 01:10 AM
Paul Schmidt
Racer

Originally Posted by Olitho

Thanks for the invite

Sounds like a great plan with a lot of seat time. Seat time is key. I am hoping to be up that way for National race weekends so maybe I'll see you out there!

Do you have a cage installed already? Does it meet SCCA's requirements? If no cage, make sure whoever builds it builds it to SCCA's requirements listed in the Competition Rule Book that you can find at scca.com
I'm going to have TC Motorsports build the cage. I will also store the car at their race shop. I don't have space in the garage. I was going to go to Public Storage, but they're cheaper and I can have things done to the car.

http://www.tcmotorsports.net/index.p...vices/storage/
Old 02-27-2010, 02:47 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Cool. Just make sure they have a set of the SCCA rules for building the cage, would suck to have an awesome cage built only to not pass tech
Old 02-27-2010, 03:00 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Cool. Just make sure they have a set of the SCCA rules for building the cage, would suck to have an awesome cage built only to not pass tech
and that has happened to more then one person too.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:28 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
and that has happened to more then one person too.
Ohhh yaa...I've heard the stories, would just hate for it to happen to someone else

(never happened to me...but I know it would suck )
Old 02-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Paul Schmidt
Racer

With me wanting to race so bad and money being a huge factor. I couldn't afford that mistake. Plus with me communicating with you guys, I don't think there's going to be a problem. I'm pretty happy with the shop too.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:20 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug P

30 track days??? That's awesome that you can get that much track time before you go racing. That should help you get comfy out there and learn as much as possible. Sounds like you got a good plan... good luck.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:51 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

shouldn't be a problem, TC built several race cars from what I know and they know how this works.

Get notified of new replies

To What SCCA class should I choose?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What SCCA class should I choose?