Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c6ls3 vs 06z06

Old 02-27-2010, 10:43 PM
928nomore
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Default c6ls3 vs 06z06

I have a 08 c6 that i track (15 days last year) LGheaders roll hoop 5 pt belts. looking to trade up to an 06 zo6 any thoughts? what differences are there between the 06 and 09 zo6;s looking for better brakes and more power.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:26 PM
jmorgan07z06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Get the Z and upgrade the brakes to stoptech or PFC's. Get a new set of the longtubes.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:31 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It depends on who you ask... most will tell you to upgrade the C6Z brakes, too, just like they say about the non-Z brakes. Some will tell you they're better than the C6 brakes and mostly good enough. The Z will have more power and the dry sump. The dry sump may be the most important part of the Z vs LS3 question. And you may still want oil system upgrades.

Feels to me like an LS3 w/ long tubes, air filter, and tune would make close to C6Z power, and a set of G-Stop front brakes would work nicely. After that it's the oil system issues depending on how hard you run...
Old 02-28-2010, 10:13 AM
l8_apexer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I *Know* your setup!

Consider this:
for the tracks you're going to (Mid Ohio, Beaverun, Watkins Glen) what makes the biggest difference is suspension setup. I'm running a C6 almost identical to yours-- without the headrrs or tune, and on street tires turning some pretty quick lap times. My car has just a "track" alignment and LG coilovers, along with cooling ducts and SS brake lines.

THe coilovers and tire choice will make a big difference. Weren't you running Hoosiers in Sept at MidO? THe Coilovers and alignment should be good for 2-3 seconds a lap quicker at MidO.

Jumping up to a Z06-- here's what starts to happen:

-a bit more power, but a corresponding increase in the need for better braking. Thus
the difference in lap times is only a slight one.

- pushing a z06 comparable to waht you do with your C6, you'll find the z06 brakes to
be inadequate, and you'll be wanting to upgrade it.

- on road courses like MidO, suspension trumps horsepower. Just look at the track map-- how much of that 2.3 mile circuit is consumed by those 13 corners, versus the straights.

- You can't take the roof off and enjoy the car on sunny summer days

- you'll have to replicate all those safety mods you've already done to your c6

Many people overlook the impact great brakes can have on lap times. With killer suspension, monster brakes, lighter weight and more seat time-- it's the way to go.

Compare: with my 4 cylinder 944 turbo, I was turning 1:41's at Mid O. ABout 300hp. I'm not sure I've got the C6 to those kind of times yet-- but it has 50% more power, and only 100 pounds heavier. But the 944 had a full welded in cage, spherical bearings everywhere in the suspension (no rubber), coilovers, monster brakes.

At the end of the day, do what makes you happy, just manage your expectations against what goal you have in mind.

I have friend with a 944 that he has won several GT2 national championships in- it's little less than 300hp but turns time at MidO in the low 1:30's.

It's not all about power.

Get notified of new replies

To c6ls3 vs 06z06

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: c6ls3 vs 06z06