Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NTO5 or PS2, mostly street, C6Z sizes, what would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 09:14 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default NTO5 or PS2, mostly street, C6Z sizes, what would you choose?

For $600 difference in price it makes me look really hard at the NTO5, the size is a bit off from the normal diameter of stock tires(it is a C6 vert, Z06 body, 19x9.5 and 1.25 wheels now) I think that will be ok with these tires.

Use, cruiser, some quick mountain fun in the sun, hardly ever driven in cold weather but not worried about low grip as when it gets to cold the car is parked for the winter modding sessions or I will have some stock Z wheels and all seasons, etc

I will want to run some Solo, HPDE and TT a bit once I finally figure out the roll bar design. I drive pretty aggressively on the track so I need them to hold up in our hot summers.

I may run some open road events as well.

High end audio, very well deadened car, I do want it quiet as possible but also fast tires for fun times, willing to give a bit but not a huge amount here.

Rain, not much rain will be seen with these

COST, are the PS2's worth it or even the right choice? It seems the Nitto tires may be the wise thing to do, ordering on Monday unless I find some used 345 PS2s before then or even order new PS2's, I have the funds for either tire but plenty of more parts I want to buy as well

Thanks, have a great rest of the weekend!
Rick
Old 03-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Z06trackman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran the NT05s on my C5Z last season - HPDE and autocross street tire class only. They did exactly what I wanted: near race tire feel with longer wear on the track, and competitive in street tire class for autocross. When I say "feel", I mean the response from the carcass; the grip is very good for a street tire, but no way matches that from a soft compound race tire. Also they were fairly quiet on the street (much more quiet than GYSCs, but that isn't saying much).

Only downside is that they howl like a high slip angle street tire on the track. I am not sure why because they sure don't drive like a that. This didn't bother me, but thought you should know.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:44 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Thanks I am still undecided between the two brands. Price certainly brings my attention to the NTO5 choice and I have seen a few posts of not so great looking PS2's on the track but I have heard others loved them there, go figure eh???

I am going to have a pretty aggressive alignment dialed in, compared to stock specs, as needed according to tire temps accross the tread, etc. I have it setup very well right now but on Bridgestones, no track time(though I would not likely want any more camber etc on the track)

I will dial in a bit more positive castor with these tires, either one, I am sure so it tracks better on the highway with fat tires.

-----------------------------

If I run the PS2 I am considering the 285/30/19 as they are the right diameter to match the 345 tires in the rear but may be a bit wide for the 9.5 wheels.

More importantly, more grip up front, less understeer and better to do it with tires than parts and alignment, those come after contact patch

I need to fill the front fenders a bit better(wider track) so I can skip running spacers, the 285's would help the look but not if the are too wide, to flexible, looks funky as well. Maybe I will talk to the local, cool, machine shop about making me some custom spacers since I am installing APR studs. I will see what the vendors have first of course but I always run hub centric no matter what so if not made, I may have some cut.

------------------------------

Ok, after jabbering about all this, anybody run 295 or 305 PS2's up front with 345's out back? The diameter is fine, I would have to widen the front wheels to do so, would sure look cool, great on the track and solo, etc....let me know

Rick
Old 03-07-2010, 12:11 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I have run both PS-2s (great tire, but high price) and NT-05s on my C5 Z06. Note most racers or track people run square wheels and tires (ie 4X whatever tire combo) on 18" wheels. I run fairly aggressive alignment on cornerweighted and lowered (.5") car. The NT-05s do stick better and are quieter and less expensive. The PS-2s are better in the rain and much more expensive. They also tend to cord the insides very early. NOTE: when comparing tires, the PS-2s are 10/32" and the NT-05s are only 7/32 new!
Old 03-07-2010, 12:48 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Thanks, I very much appreciate your experienced input

I have done plenty of autocrossing, HPDE, some TT, etc with various cars over the years and agree on a sq setup for most of them at least.

I just have to have the look of the 345 (or 335) rears so have to go as wide as I can up front if I want the best I can get out of it under the circumstances I do not want to pack wheels and tires to the track, I have a dedicated race car, this is for some fun and look cool on the street and do anything I need while playing around a bit. Not much rain here during the track season and always check the weather before taking the car out so rain is not a big issue.

Looks like a very strong vote for the NTO5's

Thanks again
Rick
Old 03-09-2010, 07:17 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Finally decided

335/30/19 NT05 going on 12.5x19 Iforged classics I widened today

275/30/19 NT05 goin on 9.5 Iforeged classics as well

Thanks
Rick

Get notified of new replies

To NTO5 or PS2, mostly street, C6Z sizes, what would you choose?

Quick Reply: NTO5 or PS2, mostly street, C6Z sizes, what would you choose?