Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA ST2/TTS rear wing rules

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:48 PM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default NASA ST2/TTS rear wing rules

Need some help here. Danny Popp, Ken Smith and any other comments appreciated.

Instead of mounting the APR wing on the trunk lid, I want to mount it straight to the bumper. I got clearification the the wing itself must not be higher than 8 inches above the roof line, and no wider than the rear body work width. I want the deck lid to clear the wing when raising it up.

My question is: is there any rule how far back a wing can be in NASA Super Touring rules.

Thanks!

D.J. Covert
Old 03-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Jaymz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine and Danny's wings are a little rearward of the rear facia. There is no rule in place for the wing extending rearward of the bodywork.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:58 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Originally Posted by Jaymz
Mine and Danny's wings are a little rearward of the rear facia. There is no rule in place for the wing extending rearward of the bodywork.
That about covers it.

FYI Mine does not extend above the roof line nor doe it extend backwards, not for any reason other then that's how it came.

Last edited by L98Terror; 03-09-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

For NASA TTU you can have it wider than the body can't you? I thought the only rule was no higher than 8" above the roofline but anything else goes (as far back or wide...just not above 8")? Correct?
Old 03-09-2010, 10:25 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

This is a direct cut and paste from the 2010 TT rules

2) Aerodynamic modifications are unrestricted, except that a rear wing (or rear spoiler
for wagon-style bodies), may not exceed a height of eight (8) inches above the
roofline (or OEM windshield height for convertibles).
I remember reading in the past that there were no movable aerodynamic devices (sucker fans, movable wings, etc.) but it looks like they wrote that out of the rules. I would imagine if you showed up with a sucker car that they would probably ban you sooner or later, again just a guess.
But as far as location and width I think you can do whatever you want.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:00 AM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default wing

D.J.,

Call K.C. at APR. You will find that the best aerodynamic advantage on a 3D wing (APR) is not above roofline. He has some data on this.

You can look at az55's new ST2 car (my old one) and look at recommended stanchion height for APR wing. I mounted directly to frame and slightly behind rear fascia. P.M. me with your e-mail and I can send you some photos.

Both Danny's and Aaron's car uses a 2D style wing which aerodynamically does not work the same as the APR wing.

J.R.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:08 AM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default wing

D.J,

Found your e-mail from previous correspondence and sent you some photos.

J.R.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:13 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

Higher=cleaner air, further back= more leverage. Both seem advantagios until you realize that too much will increase drag a lot and cause severe understeer

an aerfoil will create downforce with even a zero angle of attack, so it really doesn't take much to overpower the front grip

if you mount it to just clear your decklid you should be in good shape
Old 03-09-2010, 12:50 PM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by J.R.
D.J.,

Call K.C. at APR. You will find that the best aerodynamic advantage on a 3D wing (APR) is not above roofline. He has some data on this.

You can look at az55's new ST2 car (my old one) and look at recommended stanchion height for APR wing. I mounted directly to frame and slightly behind rear fascia. P.M. me with your e-mail and I can send you some photos.

Both Danny's and Aaron's car uses a 2D style wing which aerodynamically does not work the same as the APR wing.

J.R.
J.R.

I'm using a APR wing that has the specs of the down force of a GT 500, but the drag of the GT 300 up to about 135 mph. I've been testing it on my Le Mans street car on the track at PIR this weekend. I tried to balance it with a vented CF hood I got from Coffey and it worked well at 3 degrees. The 9" stands connected to an extra trunk lid made the bottom of the wing just above the roofline and the top about 4 inches above it.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

BTW, Your old car is kicking butt down here! Gary Felton is the only one to stay with it. Tage hasn't been running of late.

Darrell J. Covert
covertdj@aol.com

Realty Executives Z 06 #96 TTS

Last edited by 96solo; 03-09-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:52 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by L98Terror
That about covers it.

FYI Mine does not extend above the roof line nor doe it extend backwards, not for any reason other then that's how it came.

That's how my mounts were set up.. most orgs have that rule... who bought mine?
Old 03-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Jaymz
Pro

Ryan... I have your old wing. I redesigned the brackets so that the wing is mounted behind the rear facia directly to the frame.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:57 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jaymz
Ryan... I have your old wing. I redesigned the brackets so that the wing is mounted behind the rear facia directly to the frame.
ahhh... cool.. yeah... i remember having the levels and plumbs to get it lined up... i think it was SCCA rule.

i miss that thing.

but like others have said... move it as far back and as high as allowed by law... as long as that doesnt give you TOO MUCH down force.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Jaymz
Pro

I really think it comes down to how high you have the wing (and rearward) vs the drag you get from the wing. Danny and I have been working with a local aero guy and he has us on the right track.

The trick aero stuff noone will probably even notice. Think of the wing as a baseline and what itrems can you do you make that baseline more efficient.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Wren
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Higher=cleaner air, further back= more leverage. Both seem advantagios until you realize that too much will increase drag a lot and cause severe understeer

an aerfoil will create downforce with even a zero angle of attack, so it really doesn't take much to overpower the front grip

if you mount it to just clear your decklid you should be in good shape
Unless you can use it to energize the underside of the car. Then you want it lower and closer to the rear for more downforce.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:28 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought Danny had the Griggs (aka HardbarUSA) wing?
Old 03-09-2010, 02:25 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I thought Danny had the Griggs (aka HardbarUSA) wing?

Yes James and I both have the Hardbar designed aerofoil.....James' is a Hardbar part bought from RyanO when Griggs was buying the molds from Gary. My wing was the first one that Griggs produced.....

I payed dearly for mine and waited a long, long time....
Old 03-09-2010, 07:04 PM
az55
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default wing

D.J.,

J.R.
Darrell.

J.R. did a great job and I am really happy I bought his car.
I have all the data from APR and you are welcome to check out the car on the 20th at Firebird.

Cheers,
CV

Get notified of new replies

To NASA ST2/TTS rear wing rules

Old 03-09-2010, 08:48 PM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by az55
Darrell.

J.R. did a great job and I am really happy I bought his car.
I have all the data from APR and you are welcome to check out the car on the 20th at Firebird.

Cheers,
CV
Thanks C.V.! Love to see it.

Seem like many had an acute eye and noticed my wing was different than all of the APR wings there. Sure helped, but my times are in the bucket with 13 months not being on track.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:12 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pics of your wings and your mounts would be awesome... they are worth a thousand words to the rest of us.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:40 PM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GettReal
Pics of your wings and your mounts would be awesome... they are worth a thousand words to the rest of us.
Sorry, I don't have any. Just a last minute attachment.

Quick Reply: NASA ST2/TTS rear wing rules